slow wifi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

slow wifi

so i believe its been the past 4-5 months that i have been having a problem with my wifi. there are 3 people in my house that use the wifi at the same time and in december january and february there was really no problem at all with speed but i started noticing thing like being disconected from the interne while using wifi with my devices which are laptops and phones. now after being on the phone for an hour with a lady that had no idea what she was talking about kept getting me to check the internet speed which i couldnt because i couldnt be on the internet any longer then 3 mintes before my router would restart she then told me to reset it myself using the usb that the tech had left. after reseting my router the problem was fixed for about 2 weeks and all of our devices were back to disconecting because the router would reboot this problem has since then dissapeared with no explanation but we now have a new problem and that is extremely slow internet while using the wifi when i play online game mainly nhl14 and league of legend i experience extreme amounts of lag but when im connecte through an ethernet cable the lag goes away now i could obviouslyjust connect my laptop and ps3 to my router everytime i want to play but that just takes out of the convienence of being able to play wherever i want in my house i just want to know if there is any way to fix my wifi speed so i dont have to directly hook up to my touter everytime i want to do something.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: slow wifi

Hi,

Can you go to the thread indicated below and follow my questions posted there in response to stavic's post:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

Please post the responses into this thread, which you have started.  You might have a different Rogers modem / router.  If so, please indicate that as well.  With more information regarding your modem / router and network, other forum members and myself can hopefully determine what you need to do to resolve the situation.

I'm Here A Lot

Recently my family changed up our internet plan and as a result we were given a new modem from Rogers. We do not use a 3rd party router or anything, just the modem. We were given the Cisco-DPC3825, and our internet speeds is something like 60Mbps I believe. I never fail to get a good speed from my desktop which is wired directly to the modem, the WiFi is where I start finding problems.

During the day the internet works great and we get nice speeds. No complaints at all. As soon as it starts to turn night, for me when I get home from work at around 10PM, that is when I notice the speed suffering. I use my WiFi from no farther then 10 ft away on my bed. The modem sits on a shelf on one side of my room, I am on the other side.

When I try to do something as simple as download a podcast from my phone, I only manage to get around 150Kbps. The best I have been able to get at night is 750Kbps, which is still too slow considering that I am in pretty much ideal conditions for the strength of my WiFi. There is no walls blocking it and I am very close to the modem itself.

I have no idea where to go from here. What I have been resorting to do is reset my modem whenever I notice the drop in speed, but that is very tedious to do every night and seems unnecassary. If more information is needed surrounding my situation I will gladly provide it.

I hope someone can help me solve my dillemma.

Thanks for reading,

TCups

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And durring those times, the WIRED speed is still ok?
(just trying to narrow down if its an overall slowness or just on wifi)

Is this in a house or an apartment?

My FIRST thought.. it possibly interfearance.

Just to cover both bases.. can you log into the modem, and get us the signal strength table and post it here?
(do this durring the good and bad times.. just so we can compare)

Beyond that, will probably have to get you to do a few things to check your wireless settings, for interfearance, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As Gdkitty indicated, if you can copy the downstream and upstream tables from the DOCSIS WAN page in the modem user interface we can check the RG-6 cable signal levels. Beyond that its time to look at the wifi issue. If you can load inSSIDer on a laptop and bring up the network display, you will see in list and graphical form, the routers that are running nearby that the laptop wifi card can detect. Looking at the graphical display will show you if there are other routers that are running on the same wifi channel as your 3825, causing interference, or if they are running on channels that are close to yours, which will result in the same issue. The link below is for the last freebie version of inSSIDer. It will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks. It does not do 802.11ac which is becoming common, so you won’t have the complete 5 Ghz network picture, so to speak. There is a new version out, which is now a pay version. Anyone with intentions to use inSSIDer long term should spend the $20 U.S. to buy the new version. The new version does not require an 802.11ac wifi card. It will read the headers from the router broadcast and display the data as necessary.

So, have a look at that display. If you can post an image somewhere that we can have a look at, combined with the cable signal levels, we should be able to determine what is going on.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

http://www.inssider.com/inssider4/

I Plan to Stick Around

I just updated to Rogers Ignite 100U, is it normal for my speeds to be so drastic? on my Desktop i get a download speed of 130-140 on my Laptop i only get 35-48 is this normal? even when im sitting next to the modem its slow! My wifi is just very slow on Laptops, and Tablets

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Possibly?

Which modem do you have? The CGN3 or the CGN3ACR?

The CGN3 at least, does have some.. limitations.. in it, where it can only do one wireless mode, and will lower itself to the lowest of all connected.. and can lower the speeds.

Some general wireless settings itself can sometimes limit the wireless speeds (leaving it on B/G/N for example, just N will often give better performance, etc)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I was going to say exactly the same idea.  Have a look at a post of mine from yesterday:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/235...

If you have a CGN3, the way to confirm that this is a problem on the 2.4 Ghz band is to turn off all of the wireless devices and reboot the modem (unplug and plug back into power supply).  When the wifi lights on the front of the modem light up, you are good to go.  Turn on only a single device, say the laptop for example.  Run a speedtest to see what the results are.  As long as everything else is turned off and not in standby mode and therefore possibly still connected, you should see the highest result you are going to get.  Then, turn on another device and ensure that its connected and can access the internet.  Run the speedtest on the laptop and look for any possible drop in the speedtest results.  If you see a drastic reduction in data rates, that is due to the CGN3 locking down to the lowest data rate of the connected devices.  Keep adding devices, one at a time, until you determine which one is causing the slow data rates.  

The newer CGN3ACR should not suffer from this problem as it has been certified to operate with mixed capability devices.  The CGN3 does not carry the same certification.

The other consideration is that the CGN3 wifi performance just isn't that great compared to third party routers which have external antenna.   Depending on where the modem is, and where the device normally is, you may not be seeing high data rates due to the modem wifi performance and the distance from it.

I'm an Advisor

@CarolS51 wrote:

I just updated to Rogers Ignite 100U, is it normal for my speeds to be so drastic? on my Desktop i get a download speed of 130-140 on my Laptop i only get 35-48 is this normal? even when im sitting next to the modem its slow! My wifi is just very slow on Laptops, and Tablets

What wireless card does your laptop have?

I don't think 35-50 megabits/sec is surprising if we're talking single-stream 2.4GHz 802.11n...

I Plan to Stick Around

it is an 802.11b/g/n i guess i was hoping for faster internet on wifi! the speeds are the same as before i upgraded to the new Ignite plan i had 500gb Extreme, not sure what the speeds were for that plan, but im still getting the same