slow internet speed issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

slow internet speed issues

i've been having a weird internet problem for the last 2 months and i opened a rogers support ticket they havent fixed my issue until now so i thought why not post it here .

ok so i have the 250 down package was getting my full speed and everything fine until the problem started and video streaming websites are now extremely slow (i.e youtube) a video at 480p keeps buffering when in the past i could load a 4k60fps video in seconds . on (speedtest.net) i always test with 4 different servers on this website when the problem started on 3 of them (servers) the speed went down from 300 down to (20) down yes 300 to (20) . a couple of days ago at like 3 am for 5 min or so my internet problems were all solved youtube was extremely fast again and all the servers on speedtest.net speeds were 300+ again. but then after 5 to 10min the problems were back again . i am getting really frustrated it's been 2months like this and i think i will cancel my subscription with rogers if i dont find help in the next week or so.

couple of extra info 

1- my upload speed hasnt changed always cosistant full speed on all servers

2-  rogers sent a tech to my house and changed all the equipment it didnt help

3- downloading from somewebsites i get full speed while on most others max (20)

4- it seems that something is capping my speed because every where there is an issue the speed is exactly around (20) which is weird that it's always at the same speed

5- this happens 24/7 it didnt go away since it started except a couple of days ago

6- i have multiple devices in my house which i test my speed on 2 laptops and 1 pc and 1 iphone

7-whenever iam testing the speed i connect my testing device wired not wireless

8- i did reset and reboot and exchanged the modem and all equipment in my house it didnt help

9- i have the unlimited download package 

sorry for the long topic just trying to share all the info i got

thanks for help in advance

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: slow internet speed issues

I think Rogers has a problem somewhere in their network as mine have been slow too, but intermittently, ever since a series of outages happened just after the holidays which they atrributed to "noise on the line". Keep pushing them to examine their own network.
Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My speeds have been consistant.. but i am only on a 100/10 plan..

While i hope when the techs were out they checked the signal levels.. are you able to post them from the modem, just to eliminate that out?

Beyond that.. may be then yes something else down the line, etc 😞

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

thanks for the fast reply and yes the tech checked the signal and told me it was fine and also when i spoke with them on the phone they said the same thing 

Untitled.png

Highlighted

Since I reported my issues and they said they had fixed them I noticed a difference in behaviour in the polling light on the Advanced Wi-Fi modem, 5th light down.  It used to flash on and off slowly, now it flashes on and off quickly most of the time, then holds for a second or so and pauses, then resumes.

It's in bridged mode btw.

I still think they have a problem deeper into their network because occasionally web pages open very slowly.

Their own Rogers Webmail for example. usually fast, but I find it often slow to react.

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@pmcsplaza wrote:

Since I reported my issues and they said they had fixed them I noticed a difference in behaviour in the polling light on the Advanced Wi-Fi modem, 5th light down.  It used to flash on and off slowly, now it flashes on and off quickly most of the time, then holds for a second or so and pauses, then resumes.

It's in bridged mode btw.

I still think they have a problem deeper into their network because occasionally web pages open very slowly.

Their own Rogers Webmail for example. usually fast, but I find it often slow to react.

@pmcsplaza

I've been seeing slower performance, particularly on web sites when pages are being loaded. I'm also getting the quickly flashing icon on my CGN3, rather than the slow, steady one. The interesting thing is, when I run speed tests, they all look normal. I use the Rogers speed test most of the time, and occasionally try speedtest.net. My ping and jitter are also very good, so it's a bit of a mystery. I'm on the Hybrid Fibre150/15 plan and get download speeds just under 200mbps and uploads around 11mbps. I downloaded a 28GB game from Steam a few days ago and the download was steady at just over 200mbps. My CGN3 is bridged to an Asus RT-AC68U router. I've also checked pings, etc. on it and they always look fine.

I'm guessing there must have been a recent firmware update for the CGN3. I can't think of any other reason it would be behaving differently. I have also rebooted it, but it didn't make any difference. I know you're downtown. I'm at Danforth/Woodbine, so we're not in the same area. It's highly unlikely we both have some kind of network problem unless it's very wide spread. I'm suspicious that the CGN3 is causing it. I've also noticed the quickly flashing icon occasionally goes a little bit slower, then goes back to rapid flashing, then slows down again. It's very inconsistent.

Highlighted

Well at least we have that flashing light in common LOL.

I'm prepared to give this a "wait and see" period for it to settle down then I'll complain down the road at some stage.

I'm on the Unlimited Hybrid Fibre 60 a.t.m with downloads consistently 77+ and uploads 11+ (with a bit of Jitter and Latency according to Ookla) but my package expires mid-Feb so I've already done the pleading and grovelling (& some threatening as Bell Fibe is about to enter my building) for a new deal and for only $40 more on my entire internet, cable TV, home phone, mobile etc.....I will be bumped up to the 100/15 plan, same as you.  I have to phone them to confirm on 19 Feb so will ask them to reconsider how much more I have to pay and plead the starving pensioner excuse....more or less true.   I'm used to forcing them to reduce my bill every year, but I suppose it has to go up at some stage, especially considering that there's a rate increase generally coming into effect soon.

I think you are probably a much heavier user of the service than I from what you've said.

BTW I think you are right about a recent firmware update.   That would explain it.

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@pmcsplaza

Obviously, I'm speculating about a firmware update. Because my CGN3 is bridged, I can't sign in and look at the firmware version. The only way I could look at is to do a factory reset, which will take it out of bridged mode so I can sign in. I'm not going through that hassle for now. I've done it before and it's a real pain because it involves resetting my router as well. I'm just going to be patient for a while and see what happens. I guess there's always a chance the problem is wide spread and the fast blinking light on the modem is evidence of something strange going on.

My package is a grand fathered Hybrid Fibre 150/15 package not 100/15. I guess you're on the unlimited Ignite plan. My plan gives me 550GB, which is way more than I need.

Highlighted

Wait and see is a good idea I think.

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@pmcsplaza

Yes, I agree. The slow web site performance isn't really a huge issue for me. As long as real downloads are delivering decent speeds, Netflix isn't hiccupping, and my PVR isn't having signal issues, I'm good. Smiley Happy