slow internet speed issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: slow internet speed issues

Thanks I will provide an update once I check your recommendations out.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Just installed Gigabit modem on 1000u plan but speed is...

I ran speedtest.net wired and wireless and I got between 2 to 3Mbps download in 5GHz and about 13Mbps in 2.4GHz channel. What am I doing wrong? I was getting over 130Mbps using 100u before, I expect at least 900Mbps now with 1000u...

5GHz

5G.JPG

2.4GHz

2.4G.JPG

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kaminakun please have a look at the following post, specifically the section on wifi settings and wifi environment monitoring.  That will get you started for now:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

I'll have other comments on laptop performance later.  Lets just say for now that owning a laptop that doesn't do 900 Mb/s on a download test shouldn't be a surprise. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@Datalink I am not using laptop. I am on desktop with a TP-Link Archer T4U.

I checked the link and it does not help.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kaminakun, ok, in that case, try removingdeleting the network profile for your current network from the desktop and then reconnect the desktop.  That will generate a new network profile.  Depending on what version of Windows you have, you might see several old network profiles that can be removed.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

thanks Datalink

My pc only has a 100 Mb/s port which would explain why I don't get over 100mb ..I though I had a gigabit card in laptop but guess not. 😞

Does not make sense to me though why my uploads speeds are so high over 700mb / sec.(I did confirm it's in MB and not kb.)

I will be borrowing a friends laptop that has a gigabit card to just doulble check the speeds just to ensure I am getting the service I pay for.

thanks for helping a Newbie out! 🙂

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@Datalink I did that too. No good.

I tried getting the technical support to help. The first tech support said the problem is with the lines outside the house, he opened a ticket to follow up. But the very next day I got a Rogers email ask me to talk to them again. This time the rep just reset my modem and when it was no good, asked me to get a new one in store!

This is a new modem from a technician who installed it 2 days ago. The problem with this slow connection has been around for quite awhile when I had the CGN and CGN3 modems. The cable to the modem is relatively new (2 years old, installed by a Rogers technician at the time). So I believe the problem should be with some outside wires. I kept explanation that to the rep but he wouldn't listen. I'm quite fed up honestly!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kaminakun since you've already had a visit from a tech, and I'm assuming it was a contractor tech, its time for the moderators at @CommunityHelps to arrange a tech visit from a Rogers tech to determine what the problem is.  I certainly understand why your fed up with the situation. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

CODA-4582U Problem. Slow Downstream, regular ping, regular upstream

For the past three weeks now, close to the full month I've had this here problem.

I'm a gamer but I also work from home as does my mother and up until now we've been told that everything is working just fine. Cable/line to my house shows no issues and green lights all the way. Modem shows no issue and is working at 100%. Or so I've been told by the past 15-20 customer service reps that I've talked to through their chat system. The problem still persists and its making me lose money due to being unable to work from home.

The first time this started happening was mid afternoon around three weeks ago. I realized my home phone that works via internet (I believe through VOIP) wasn't working properly and i was told previously that to fix this i need to reset both the modem and home phone box connected between the modem and my home phone at the same time. I unplugged both, waited a good minute or two, plugged both back in and home phone worked normally. Great news i thought. Nope.

Video streams from places like Twitch.tv or Youtube, either full on stopped, began a long buffering sequence, or played at 360p quality. Now i have the Gigabit package  because at the time when we upgraded there were a lot of people in the house and we needed the speed/bandwidth upgrade. Now the things connected to my modem, i can name on the fingers of my hand.  

My main computer which is 100% working fine, is hard wired.

The home phone is hard wired.

I have a Philips Hue box for indoor lighting, also hard wired.

My mother's laptop is wireless 2.4g.

I have two TV's capable of connecting to the internet that are also connected wireless 2.4g (these are rarely used to connect to the internet as they are mostly broadcasting regular TV connection).

Then there's two cell phones which connect wireless 5g too.

Now that I've listed what's connected currently to the modem, solely the modem, i don't have a combo with a router or anything. I went about testing different things, all this before i even contacted a Rogers rep.

MAIN PROBLEM

I checked across all my devices what internet speed i was getting via the Ookla Speedtest.net, Openspeedtest.com and even Rogers' own speedtest. Across all devices mentioned above (minus phone and the Hue box and both cellphone data turned off) i was getting regular ping 5-15, sometimes it would spike up to 30 or so, but not constantly. The jitter was also fine, between 3-20 tops. The upstream was between 20Mbps to 30Mbps which is fine considering the gigabit package i have says that id be getting up to 30Mbps. Now here comes the kicker, across all devices and with regular and normal lights on my modem CODA-4582U (the white one with the extra lights not the black one that first comes up when you google "CODA-4582") my downstream was fluctuating hard between 0Mbps to 7Mbps. Sometimes it would start out high as 150-200Mbps downstream but by the end of the test, the speed would have fallen to under 5Mbps and finish with a low number. Every so often i reset the modem between tests and for the first 2-5min after it finished booting up and a connection was made, my tests came back Ping 5-15, Downstream 800Mbps-1Gbps and Upstream 20Mbps-30Mbps, then those 2-5min would pass and again I'd see 0Mbps-7Mbps downstream (ping, jitter and upstream were fine).

Around December 2017, the main line between the two green boxes on either side of my house was found "wet". rogers techs came and ran a temp between the two boxes via running it from light post to light post. Internet was bad for the time they worked on the line but after that it worked just fine up untill beginning of March 2018. After doing the above tests, talking to about 5 Rogers' Reps, i had my first regular tech sent to my house. We spent about two hours looking through at everything, the modem, the lines, everything was showing 100% working status. He even changed my modem that was still 1st gen CODA-4582U to a 4th gen CODA-4582U. And the speed problem still didnt get fixed. Right before leaving, he decided to check outside lines. The Main Line temp was fine, however the line from my house to the Main Line was also "wet". That day and before he left he ran a temp line  to my house and that seemed to fix the problem, or so i thought.

Last weekend the problem returned. And i believe monday after another 5 Rogers Reps tried to help me through my problem, another tech came to my house. They had apperantly detected my modem out of regular signal range, not by much either, but apperantly enough that it could cause problems, so tech came, added another filter or MoCA to my line in the house and then everything seemed to work ok. Before leaving he told me that when the first tech from beginning of march left, the TVs were showing to have checked out green but there was still a red error on my internet, but now with him here everything showed green. So thinking i was done with the problem i thanked him and went back about my business.

Not even 3 days later, this past Wednesday at midnight, my modem randomly cut out, no whole house power outage or anything, just the modem. After it rebooted, the problem returned. I've finally managed to push the Rogers rep to send a "senior" tech to my house but . im not happy that i have to wait three days for him/her to come. I wonder how many more wires this tech will change in my house and then tell me the problem is solved.

I'd also like to mention that on all occassions that my downstream bites the dust, the weather outside is bad. beginning of march it had just snowed and the problem occured the very next day. Last Thursday before the second tech came it snowed again i believe. And since Wednesday it has rained quite a bit. I was told that the cables they used to run the Temp Lines for both the Main Line and the Line connected to my house are both made for such weathers and the problem couldnt be from those lines. But im completely out of ideas.

Thank you for your time and i hope this wasnt too long of a read but i tried providing all the information i could in the hopes that someone has any idea on what to do. Or what the problem is.

Regards,

Tibi

Hello, @TibiN

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for sharing your concern with the Community. I appreciate all the details provided, we can run a few diagnostics on your connection and take the next step in finding the solution. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin