slow internet speed issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: slow internet speed issues

@theeraser90 wrote:

thanks for the fast reply and yes the tech checked the signal and told me it was fine and also when i spoke with them on the phone they said the same thing 

Yeah, the signal is pretty much BANG ON perfect.  So thats definately not the issue.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

i've just received a voice message from rogers telling me that they are still working on my support ticket. 

it's been almost 2 weeks since i opened it. i dont know if the problem is too hard to solve or if they cant even find it . 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Even getting to reply to you here took ages.... in my  case the robot call told, me it was fixed, that was after 3 weeks.  That was after numerous outages 28 Dec onwards.   Now I think we have yet another problem.

In the last instance all I managed to elicit as the cause was "noise on the line".

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@pmcsplaza wrote:

Even getting to reply to you here took ages.... in my  case the robot call told, me it was fixed, that was after 3 weeks.  That was after numerous outages 28 Dec onwards.   Now I think we have yet another problem.

In the last instance all I managed to elicit as the cause was "noise on the line".

@pmcsplaza

Everything's still the same here, with really slow web site connections. The CGN3 WAN light is still bouncing around between slow and fast. If you look at the back of your CGN3, you'll also see the same flashing on the bottom WAN port where you would connect your router. You did mention your device is bridged to a router, so I'm assuming you have a CGN3 model of some kind.

Highlighted

Yes, so I see. I have it connected to a D-Link DGL 4500 but am planning on a better router asap.

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've had page loading issues with the CG3N modem in bridged mode, swapped it out with the SMR version and the issue has went away. Speeds seem to be stable, but seeing some lag in games. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So, do I understand this correctly that you currently have a CGN3ACSMR as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem?  If so, can you log into the modem and on the STATUS page that comes up, check the current software (firmware) version that is loaded.  Version 4.4.8.14 is problematic for gaming, VOIP devices, VPNs and any other latency intolerant application.  The next version out, issued at the end of May 2015 is 4.5.8.16.  That version solves a vast majority of issues, including online gaming. 

Do you run your games via ethernet connection to the modem?

You could also load the freebie version of pingplotter and run a ping test to the game server.  That will show where any latency issues come up between your modem and the game server. 

http://www.pingplotter.com

Right click on the display to bring up some of the display options.  You can grab a screen shot right from pingplotter, paste it into MS Paint and then insert the saved image into a post.  That might help resolve some issues if we can see where any delays are occurring. If their out well beyond the Rogers network, that becomes problematic.  I'm trying to get a discussion going with the mods on just that issue, so, don't know where it will led to yet.  

For now, start by checking the modem model and firmware version and have a loot at a pingplotter test to see where any delays or errors are occurring. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'll check out pingplotter when i get a sec, 4.5.8.16 is what came with the modem and was the first thing i checked. Everything is wired except mobile phones, so yes wired when gaming.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, thats the latest firmware version for the CGN3ACSMR.  What are you running for a router, and, are you using QOS, traffic monitoring or any other function that requires data processing by the router CPU before the data packets are sent out of either ports, WAN or LAN?

What internet plan are you on in terms of download / upload rates and what does a speedtest yield for results when you run it from http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html and also from www.speedtest.net using the Toronto Telus server.  Can you post the results from both test servers?

Highlighted

It's strange, speed tests show OK results but latency is bad so web pages are slow to load once you get there. It would appear that latency and jitter are more important to this issue than whatever package we subscribe to.
Peter
Toronto