range extender stopped working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

range extender stopped working

My TP-Link range extender has stopped working, after 6 months without problems. I've spent 3 days trying to figure out the problem, but I am really out of my depth. I was able to reset the TP-Link to factory defaults and set it up again, but the problem persists.

I'm hoping there's something obvious I should be looking at. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

The only change I can see is that we installed a new HP printer last week. I'm reluctant to unistall the printer without exploring other options, since an IT person from my wife's work took 3 hours on the phone to install it on her company laptop. I'm not sure if he caused the problem or if I did the day before, installing the printer on our home PC.

Our Rogers box is the Hitron CGN2. In addition to a couple of wired computers, we use the built-in 2.4/5G wireless upstairs, which still works fine. Call the built-in wireless network "NAME"; on the TP-Link downstairs we had NAME_24G and NAME_5G.

Currently the CGN2 does not see the TP-Link. I manually added its MAC to the Wireless Control List but that made no difference.
Tablets find both networks on the wifi list (NAME_24G and NAME_5G), and allow me to choose one, but when I try to connect to a web page I get an error msg.  I can also view some properties from the wifi list, such as router address and DNS address (both 192.168.01). WifiAnalyser on the Apple tablet sees both these NWs with strong signals. The TP-Link Tether app on the Android tablet can see them too, and I can rename the 2 networks, but can't see or change any other useful properties.

Occasionally one or both of the tablets *do* make a connection and open a web page, but I haven't been able to figure out exactly the circumstances. When they do, the connection only lasts for the the first URL, then get error messages such as DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET, or ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. Which I thought meant DNS problems. In CGN2 interface, WAN info shows "Assign DNS manually" is disabled, and the 2 DNS servers are the Rogers ones. Also, "Enable LAN DHCP" is enabled.

Upload/download speeds are typically 30 & 4.5 Mbps.

***Edited Labels***

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Re: range extender stopped working

Hi @AMur

Thank you for posting on the Community Forums!

You've come to the right place for your concerns with your connection.

Are you able to provide the exact model for your modem (CGN2 doesn't support 5G) and range extender?

This sounds like something one of Resident Experts can assist with troubleshooting. @Datalink @Gdkitty @gp-se 

RogersPrasana

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you Prasana. 

The model name is indeed CGN2-ROG (with H/W Rev 1A).   (Thanks for the clarification re no 5G -- make sense now.)

The extender is TP-Link  model RE350.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AMur wrote:

Thank you Prasana. 

The model name is indeed CGN2-ROG (with H/W Rev 1A).   (Thanks for the clarification re no 5G -- make sense now.)

The extender is TP-Link  model RE350.

Is anything connected to the ethernet port on the TP-Link? Have you verified you have it set to range extender mode and not access point mode?

If the TP-Link has a setting to hand out DHCP make sure that is disabled and only use the Hitron to assign DHCP.

Lastly depending what package you have with Rogers, if you're renting the modem I would suggest upgrading to the CGN3ACSMR or the CODA 4582 Gateway. It depends what plan you have if the cost will stay the same. You can send a PM to @CommunityHelps asking to look into your account and see if you're eligible. 

You'll most likely find with one of the newer Gateways that you no longer require the Range Extender, the CGN2 was Terrible for WiFi!

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks gp-se.  There is no cable in the extenders ethernet port.   Range extender is in extender mode.   TP-Link's DHCP setting was enabled, I have now disabled it.  Connecting to the signal from the rogers CGN2 is still fine upstairs.   

Question:  the CGN2 only sends out a 2.4 GHz signal, called NAME.   I understand I can name the 2.4 signal from the extender as NAME also, to allow seamless switch to 2.4 downstairs.  What about the 5 Ghz signal downstairs?  Can/should I call it NAME as well?    When the extender was working (before Xmas) we called them NAME_24 and NAME_5 and of course had to switch networks manually on our tablets, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion about upgrading the modem, will check that out.  

Is there anything else I should look at before I try resetting the extender and starting again?

I'm Here A Lot

@AMur wrote:

Connecting to the signal from the rogers CGN2 is still fine upstairs.   

Sorry, important fact got deleted when I edited:   Wireless devices still cannot connect to the TP-Link.  

@AMur wrote:

Is there anything else I should look at before I try resetting the extender and starting again?