"Rocket Modem" is slower Wired than it is Wireless?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Rocket Modem" is slower Wired than it is Wireless?

Hi @LikeBrews!

That's certainly a frustrating issue you have here. I haven't heard of this particular issue as being a known issue so let's see what we can do to get you up and running. It is odd that your connected router is pushing a better connection than the wired connection. Do you have the modem in bridge mode by chance?

Have you tried an alternate cable or port on the modem? Did you try to use the cable that came with the modem just as a test?

Please let me know. I would like to eliminate a few possibilities here before we dive any deeper into the troubleshooting.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can try swapping the modem at a Rogers Store, if you are on an Ignite 100u or higher plan you can get the new CODA 4582 Modem. Othat than that you should reset the modem to factory defualts and setup as new. Use a pen tip to push and hold the reset button on the back of the modem for 10 seconds then release. The modem will reboot and you have to set up as new again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am assuming you have restarted the computer, etc already?

Now, one question...you said you have your own 3rd part router connected.. as well as the PC direct to the modem?

Is the CNG3 in bridge mode or not?

I Plan to Stick Around

The modem is not in  bridge mode as checked by accessing the modem as ADMIN.

I have an AMBER lamp at the just changed ethernet cable connection which indicates a Gigabit connection I hope.

The cable that came with the router, not installed by me, was a CAT5 cable. So many cable here not sure which one that is now. I have replaced it with a CAT6 cable as a test and an improvement as I game sometimes. Speed tests showed a minor improvement after the CAT6 cable was installed.

I have pushed the Factory Reset button with a pin a few times now.

I am sending this update to all of you, individually. Hopefully get more information what may be happening here.

Hello, @LikeBrews

Thank you for your patience while the Community is finding the solution for the issue you have arisen. I appreciate all the details you have provided so far. May I please ask you to provide the following information?

What's the Internet package do you have?

What's the speed are you getting on your wireless devices?

What's the speed are you getting on your wired PC?

What's the firmware version is your CGN3AMR modem running?

What's the network card specification of your PC?

Is your PC still stuck in identifying mode as you have described in your previous post?

How far is your PC from the router and the modem? If it's close enough that you can plug in your PC into the router, I suggest putting the modem in bridge mode and connecting PC directly into the router. This may alleviate the issue and your wired PC may achieve your Internet package speed. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Around

was this issue resolved. can you please tell me how to resolve this issue.

i have the Hitron CGN3 modem and when i connect my laptop to the modem directly (by itself) through a cat 6 cable, i can only get a maximum speed of 15mbsp.  My current plan is 100u.  Wifi does work perfectly.  Kindly let me know on how this problem was resolved (if it was). thank you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bimboy wrote:

was this issue resolved. can you please tell me how to resolve this issue.

i have the Hitron CGN3 modem and when i connect my laptop to the modem directly (by itself) through a cat 6 cable, i can only get a maximum speed of 15mbsp.  My current plan is 100u.  Wifi does work perfectly.  Kindly let me know on how this problem was resolved (if it was). thank you.

@bimboy

Since your WiFi works perfect that tells me the issue could be a setting on your laptop that is "limiting" it's wired performance. 

Have you tried to connect your laptop wired to another modem/router? Like if you bring it to a friends house, or at work are the speeds faster than 15mb/s? Also have you tried another Cat 6 cable to rule out the cable being defective.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Trying to remember properly..
Did the cgn3 not in an EARLY firmware have an issue with the 100mbps connections were failing and not linking properly?  
Sounds very familiar to this.

Many of the even newest laptops, may only have a 10/100 wired port, vs having a much higher wireless capabilities.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bimboy, have a look at the back of the modem, specifically at the connected port LED.  If that modem port LED is flashing amber, the port is connecting to the device port at 1 Gb/s.  If the modem port LED is green, that indicates that the port is connecting at 10/100 Mb/s.  

If you know that the laptop has a gigabit port, and the modem LED is green (10/100 Mb/s) that would indicate that:

1.  the Cat-6 cable isn't connecting properly at either end, or both ends perhaps, or:

2.  that the cable is damaged in some fashion and no longer has all four wire pairs in operation which is required to run data rates above 100 Mb/s, or;

3.  as indicated above, your laptop ethernet adapter settings are restricting the port to 10/100 Mb/s instead of 1 Gb/s.  You would have to drill down into the adapter settings to determine what is currently set.  Even with a 100 Mb/s adapter, you should be seeing around 90 Mb/s on the downstream side. or;

4.  as indicated above, perhaps the laptop only has a 100 Mb/s ethernet adapter?  You would have to dig into the laptop specifications to confirm this.  It wouldn't be the first time that we're run across this, and probably not the last.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi RogersMoin. Your solution repaired my network in a roundabout way and has worked well ever since. I BRIDGED the cable modem to the Wireless 4 Gigaport router, ran ethernet CAT6 back and forth and system has worked well and been mostly stable since. I appreciate your advice. I apologize for never replying that the BRIDGING had repaired the slowed WIRED performance. Still using it hard and adding more devices all the time, all work well!