"Rocket Modem" is slower Wired than it is Wireless?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

"Rocket Modem" is slower Wired than it is Wireless?

Hi, I recently got the 100u student plan with unlimited data, and I'm having a bit of an issue.

I have the "Rocket Modem" (what I believe to be the Hitron CGN3ACR) and a 100u plan; These are supposed to work perfectly together, but I've noticed I'm not getting the speed I should. What's unusual is that my slowdown is ethernet-related.

Over Wifi, I get fantastic speeds, sometimes even in excess of the 100Mbps down I pay for. However, on Ethernet I get a maximum of about 12Mbps down and even lower speeds up. This isn't just with one computer, either; Every laptop we plug into it; Every desktop, even the WiiU and PS3 we share all get this speed.

What's worse is that this is the second router to do this. The original, I traded back in at my local rogers store. The old one was faulty, and this one is exactly the same.

What I've learned through extensive forum-trawling is that the little green light on the back of my router means the thing is throttling my connection and limiting the speed of ethernet. However, I was under the impression that this was a firmware issue, and that a fix was released several versions ago. I'm on version 4.5.8.16.

I think this is my issue, but if anyone has another idea, I'd love the help. My desktop only uses ethernet, and I'm rather sick of using internet-sharing through my laptop; That has its own set of problems that I shouldn't have to deal with.

--Tempystral

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator

Re: "Rocket Modem" is slower Wired than it is Wireless?

Hi @Tempystral

I am happy to hear that your WiFi speeds are working great, but disappointed that its not so great while connected via Ethernet. Smiley Sad

I would like to as you a couple of questions to get more information. 

Have you tried a different port on the modem?

If so, have you tired a different Ethernet cable?

Regards, 

RogersAliciaG

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to be sure, can you have a look at the product sticker at the back of the modem to confirm which modem you have, the CGN3, CGN3ACR, or CGN3ACSMR.

The green port LED indicates that the modem is connected to the remote device via 10/100 Mb/s connection which limits the max data rate to 100 Mb/s or less.  If it was amber, that would indicate 1 Gb/s, which in turn supports data rates over 100 Mb/s.  The modem port can't tell if its connected to a 100 Mb/s port thru a gigabit ethernet cable, or if its connected to a 1 Gb/s port thru a 100 M/bs cable.  All the port knows is that the max rate is 100 Mb/s, therefore the LED is green.  If you know for example that a laptop has a gigabit port that is confirmed to connect at 1 Gb/s rates, but yet the modem port LED is green, indicating 10/100 Mb/s max, that tells you that the ethernet cable is either damaged or not fully connected at either end.  

Usually when we see problems with the data rates with connected devices, it comes down to the fact that those devices can't run at 1 Gb/s, or that there is a problem with one of the device ports which is causing problems for the modem.  I would disable the wifi networks completely, and disconnect all but one laptop and run a speed test at http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html or www.speedtest.net using the Toronto Telus server.  The only speedtests that I would really trust are those done via desktop or laptop, however, at higher data rates, ie: 250 mb/s service, there is a good chance that a laptop such as an ultrabook won't be able to handle the speedtest as the download rates can hit 330 Mb/s on the download side.  If you are seeing ~130 Mb/s via wifi, you should see that via ethernet, unless of course the desktop / laptop port it limited to 100 M/b s max.

Cycle thru the various devices one at a time, running a single ethernet connection out of the modem and see what you get.  As was already suggested, check the ethernet cable as well to ensure that you have a gigabit cable.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersAliciaG - I have tried multiple ports and I've used a few different cables. I tried multiple ports and cables on my old  modem/router as well.

@Datalink - I have Cat5e cables and my desktop has a gigabit port, but I've realized that no other device in my house does. That said, do I require a Gigabit port on my computer? I'm only ordering 100Mbps; Shouldn't a 10/100 port be fine? (I think perhaps I jumped to conclusions when I brought up the modem's light colour. Even if it does slow down that port as a result of my connection speed, I feel like 12Mbps is massively slower than I should get.)

I'm moving around my router as it is today, so I'll run a test using my desktop, which does have a gigabit port, and I'll get the results back to you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope, you didn't jump the gun by mentioning the port LED colour.  That's another piece of the puzzle.  Knowing that the port is only running at 100 Mb/s, if you said that you were seeing somewhere around 60 Mb/s and above I wouldn't be surprised.  12 Mb/s is definitely low. 

Do you need a gigabit port?  That depends on what you do with the device.  If you do any simultaneous streaming from your desktop to other devices on your LAN, you might want to fastest data throughput possible.  To gigabit, or not to gigabit, thats an interesting question.  The answer is probably going to be different for every person you ask.  It really comes down to what you are doing across your LAN.  I suspect that the required data rates gradually creep up for everyone, especially if you have kids around, young and old.

If you run isolated speedtests with your devices you might find one in particular that is slowing down the modem's port controller for some reason.  If you find that, it might be a simple matter of looking at the various parameters that are set for that device.

Fwiw, the modem port throttling issue with 10/100 Mb/s device ports was seen on a previous firmware version for the CGN3, and has been corrected.  This has never been an issue on the CGN3ACR or CGN3ACSMR.

Are you running devices connected directly to the modem via ethernet or wifi, or are you running a router as well?

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, if I was seeing 60Mbps I wouldn't be too worried.

I'm running just the Hitron; Nothing else. When I tried using my own router in Bridge mode, I found that it was even slower. That was more a matter of it simply not being up-to-spec. Regardless, I'm not planning on using it anytime soon.

All of our devices are currently running off wifi, but when we relocate the Hitron, we'll probably be wiring in with Ethernet with  our desktops and using wifi on our consoles and laptops. (Not all at once, mind you. There's only three of us here.)

Off the top of my head, I can probably guess as to what device is causing the slowdown on our network; One of my roommates' laptops is so ancient it's still using 802.11G. He can't take advantage of full wifi speeds, or the dual-band network. That said, I can't see why a wifi connection would affect the ethernet controller, especially when nothing is plugged into ethernet. The speeds I was mentioning from last night were taken when nothing was connected except my laptop.

.... Maybe it's my laptop that's slow. I don't think it is, but until I can find the time to do more tests later today, I won't know for sure.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What model of modem do you have as indicated by the sticker at the back of the modem: CGN3, CGN3ACR, or CGN3ACSMR?

I Plan to Stick Around

I have the CGN3ACSMR.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In theory that modem should not have an issue with mixed device data rates. however, as the older laptop only uses 802.11g.  that makes me wonder if its capable of running WPA-2 AES for wifi security.  It might only be capable of TKIP encryption should not be used these days as its no longer secure, but I'm wondering what that laptop is currently capable of.  802.11n doesn't not allow the use of TKIP and if it it used, the device will step down to 802.11g rates, 54 Mb/s max.  There might be an issue here with the older laptop causing some issue for the port controller.  I would still advise isolated tests with the devices that are being used to determine what the max data rates are for each device.

If you bring up the Network and Sharing Center through the Control Panel or by right clicking on the internet symbol on the lower right hand corner of the screen, you will see either an ethernet or wifi network link in the middle of the page, right hand side.  Left click on the link to bring up the Ethernet or Wifi Status panel.  The speed that is shown there is the port to port communications rate.  Have a look at that speed to see what your devices are connecting at, wired and wifi.  Have a look at that panel specifically when the older laptop is off, or the modem wifi is disabled, and when the modem wifi is enabled and the older laptop wifi is connected.  You might have to refresh that panel to see any changes in it.  I'm not sure if its dynamic and updates when the port to port rate changes.  That speed might give you additional info as to what is happening on the wired side of the modem.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I recently had a tech come to install a new to me Hitron CGN3AMR gigabit modem(this is clearly a used modem). I certainly have had some issues with it but have ironed most of them out. I am having the same issue others have had with location, searches always lead to the GTA. When I check the status of my internet feed to my PC by hovering over the network icon, it has constantly stated "Identifying" since the new modem was installed. My PC is directly connected using a CAT6 cable, purchased since the installation, to the modem. I use the Ignite service and do not believe I am getting anywhere near the speeds promised. I am able to access the Admin side of the router no problem. I have attempted to find out why the modem is unable to identify itself to my PC. The CGN3AMR router is also driving a WIFI AC1750 router that feeds many other devices in my home...they out perform my directly wired PC by several times to one. I attempted to have a CHAT session with a CSR about this and about 20 minutes in it was suggested that I was asking questions that they could not answer and were not in their perview, and the the CHAT was abruptly ended without even a goodbye! I have used and played with many modems over the years, This is the first time ever that the PC I was using got stuck in "Identifying" mode, but still provided a reasonable service, though slower than expected, and drove a WIFI network virtually perfectly. Anyone else suffering this issue? I would dearly love to find the answer to this! I've exhausted what I know so far. Thanks ahead, anyone! GDKitty I expect you will be the first to answer...hope you can get me "Identified"!