problems with 2.4G

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: problems with 2.4G

No I'm saying if the router is set for both 2.4 g and 5 G the 2.4 g disappears. I'm only having the laptop use 2.4 g because it can barely receive the 5 g signal. When both are enabled with the rogers router/modem, the 2.4 g signal disappears on both my laptop and my tablet! So I get no internet or spotty internet on my laptop but can connect with my tablet which is closer. The 2.4 g signal also disappears on my tablet. If I reboot the router , I get both for a short time then the 2.4G signal disappears! I can only use the 2.4 G signal if I disable the router's use of the 5G signa!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@rchalmers0527 Oh, I understand now. Sorry for misinterpreting your problem. Do you know what is the model of your router? 

I'm Here A Lot

Hitron for the ignite 60 package. Do you want the exact model?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rchalmers0527, yes please.  The modem model can be seen on the back of the modem.  It will either be a black CGN3xxx modem, or the white CODA-4582.  There is only one version of the CODA-4582 in use presently.

And, can you log into the modem and check the Software (firmware) version that is currently loaded and let us know?  That can been seen on the STATUS page that comes up when you log into the modem.

Are you using the same network name (SSID) for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.

Other food for thought, can you have a read thru the following post, specifically the sections on the wifi settings and wifi environment monitoring with an application loaded on a laptop.  Looking at the wifi environment with an application such as inSSIDer will let you know if in fact both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks are running from the modem, and in fact if the laptop can detect both.  

I'm wondering about your current modem model and firmware as band steering has been added to the latest trial firmware for the CODA-4582.  That in itself might explain the issue if you had that modem and firmware running. 

Edit:  missing post reference:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

I'm Here A Lot

I hesitate to re-able 5G as both my tablet and my laptop cannot connect to a non-existent 2.4G. I'll do it later when the laptop is not in use. The model is CGN3 of the modem/router. The 5G and  2.4G have different names. I'm on channel 4 for the 2.4G at the moment. This is a replacement as the other modem/router started acting up knocking out the 2.4G signal.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rchalmers0527 I added the missing post reference.  Can you have a read thru that post and load inSSIDer to see whats up, in terms of 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, both yours and your neighbors. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

I've Been Around

My coda router sucks for a week the 2. 4 g not working

Hello, @Stevelus

Thank you for joining and posting your concern in the Community. It's surely important to have a stable WiFi network, we can help troubleshoot the issue for you. Can you provide more details about the issue? Is the 5 GHz network stable?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm Here A Lot

Laptop can't connect to 2.4ghz unless connection is unsecured.

So I received a new hitron modem today from rogers and I noticed that it will only connect to the 5ghz wireless. After fiddling around for a long while I found it would only connect to 2.4 ghz if the security mode was set to unsecured. All the other devices and computers in the house seem to have no problem connecting when its secured so I'm at a loss as why this fairly new computer will not.

I've tried just about everything I can think of, restarting the computer, looking over the network/security settings, disabling antivirus firewalls, and resetting the modem, which had to be done through the admin panel as there didn't seem to be much of a reset button on the back to press.

Any help is appreciated!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Drivindan here's what I recommend for modem and router wifi settings:

Check/set the following 2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode:  802.11 n 
Channel Bandwidth:  20/40 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 20 Mhz.  In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz.  
Wireless channel:  AUTO or, to an open channel if one existed, or to the channel that offers the least interference from neighboring routers and modems
WPS Enabled:  OFF
Security Mode:  WPA-Personal
Auth Mode:  WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode:  AES only

Note that TKIP is no longer secure for encryption purposes and should not be used in a TKIP only, or combo AES/TKIP setting.  On top of that TKIP is not compatible with 802.11n and will force the modem or router to operate at 802.11g rates maximum, which is 54 Mb/s. 

Check/set the following 5 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode:  802.11 a/n/ac mixed
Channel Bandwidth:  80 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 40 Mhz
Wireless channel:  149 to 165
WPS Enabled:  OFF
Security Mode:  WPA-Personal
Auth Mode:  WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode:  AES only

Reboot the modem or router if you had to make any changes. 

I've noticed in previous firmware versions that the Encrypt mode can flip into a TKIP or TKIP combo when you save settings that don't even use TKIP in any form, so, if you change anything on the wifi settings tab and save the settings, take a second look to ensure that the settings haven't changed.  

If you're running Windows 10 on the laptop, delete the network profile and then reconnect the laptop.  This should work:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=delete+windows+10+wifi+profile&rlz=1C1PRFI_enCA774CA774&oq=delete+&aq...

If you're running Windows 7 or 8 run the following search to remove the network:

delete windows 7 wifi profile

delete windows 8 wifi profile

or 

forget wireless network windows 7

forget wireless network windows 8

Topic Stats
  • 37 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 12 in conversation