cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printer connected via ethernet to Linksys E2000 router

GR21
I've been around

My network connection is:

Rogers Ignite has an ethernet wired connection to linksys E2000 router. A Brother laser printer is ethernet wired to one of the ports on the linksys router. Ignite also is enabled for wireless connections.

My PC via ethernet and laptop wirelessly connected to the linksys can reach the printer and print successfully. But the laptop (mentioned in previous sentence) connected wirelessly to the Rogers ignite box cannot see the printer. The printer shows offline.  

note: all services to internet across all the wired and wireless connections are working fine.

any help is greatly appreciated.

*** Edited Labels ***

1 REPLY 1

Re: printer connected via ethernet to Linksys E2000 router

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GR21  You probably still have your router set up as an Internet router/firewall/gateway.  If this is the case, the E2000 will have its firewall enabled and this will prevent any "external" devices (on the WAN side of the router) from connecting to any "internal" devices that are connected to the router's Ethernet and WiFi networks.

Are you able to put your E2000 router into "Bridge Mode"?  This will disable the router and firewall functions on the E2000, which should then allow all of the devices that are connected to the Rogers Ignite modem/gateway to connect to all of the devices that are connected to your Linksys router.  (I think that Linksys puts this setting is in "Connectivity / Internet Settings / Connection Type")  After you make this change, you may need to reboot the devices that are connected to your Linksys router.  When the devices reconnect to the network, they will obtain an IP address from the Ignite modem/gateway and will appear in the list of connected devices.

If you only need the Linksys E2000 to expand the number of Ethernet ports, you would be better off purchasing an inexpensive ($25) LAN switch.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation