plugging modem to mac

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

plugging modem to mac

when looking at the "set up wireless network for hitron CGN3" instructions #1 saying connect ethernet cable from the pc to the modem. do I have to have the power plugged in and the actual cable (from outside) plugged in as well or just plug the ethernet cable in only?

thank you

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: plugging modem to mac

Yes.  Those instructions are for AFTER the modem is plugged in and set up.

The unit MAY boot up with only the power and your PC connected to it but would obviously not get any internet.

I've Been Here Awhile

In order to do that I will need about 10 feet of Ethernet cable since my Mac is that far away from my cable. That's no good.
Thanks for the reply.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can log into the modem via wireless using the default network names and passwords, however, on the first time that you log in to set the parameters, this is definitely not a good security practice unless you happened to live in a rural area and your neighbours are over in the next quarter section.  If you do that, and you go about changing modem password, network names and passphrases over a wireless link, you will end up being locked out when the network name and passphrases are changed and accepted.  Just have to keep that in mind.  As for having a long ethernet cable around, I keep a 50 footer close by for test purposes.  You never know when it will come in handy, and I have used it when I needed to check a couple of connections around the house.

I've Been Here Awhile

Ok thanks