online gaming lags

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: online gaming lags

That looks good.  The only concern I have is the number of rules that are set up and running as I think that I've seen a post somewhere that puts the actual limit at 9 rules.  I'm not sure if that is the number of rules in total, or the maximum number of operating rules out of a larger rule set.  Test out the connection with the game and keep that limit in mind.  If you turn off the skype rules, that might be sufficient.  I don't know if you would actually have to remove any rules from the list.

Can you indicate what model of laptop you are using, down to the specific model number?  You indicated that the gaming console doesn't have any issues with lag, so, one has to consider the possibility that the laptop that you are using isn't fast enough for the game.  If its a gaming laptop, there shouldn't be an issue.  If its an ultrabook with only 4Gb of memory on it, then yup, that could be an issue, but, we would need more info to come to any possible conclusion.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello again so today Datalink I took your advice I went through the router disabling at least 7-8 things that were not needed on.. also I am going to PM you some settings I am unsure of.. but after turning off a few things and with QOS still on I ran a test last night on my PC I was able to get 40mb download 9.5upload today its jumped to 60mb download but my xbox remains the same even with it being the first port which is odd

Also I will ask around on the D-link forums to see if any option like CTF does exist on the 868l right now I am going to run the tests you asked me too.. with the wireless off and nothing connected to the router with my Xbox and the QOS on to see if any improvement is made.

Thank you for all the information Datalink once again your help is greatly appreciated 

Edit: with QOS off right now and nothing removed from the router my ping is a stable 33-35ms since I turned off my not needed settings things are looking smooth so far 

Edit 2: so I just ran the test with everything disconnected and the wireless off on the Xbox one 

Qos: off

Download: 110.81

upload: 10.77

Latency 83ms

Qos: On

46.80ms download

upload 9.69

latency 83ms

I had the same result with QOS when trying every port on the router

I Plan to Stick Around

I just checked the list, I have a total of 20 rules running. I have an old laptop, but still games decently. Its the samsung R580.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink after all the help my connection is running very smooth now even after doing a test I have zero jitter and higher speeds.. Thank you Datalink for explaining the settings and taking me through all of that I turned off a lot of things that were causing issues amazing how blazing fast everything is now crazy how it could be one thing that is messing with your network... Once again Thank you Datalink 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

YW.  Nice to see a plan come together 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

hey, so after having some time to game, i just played 5 hours and im still having warping issues, and delays in kills against opponents. so even with the ports open this problem is still here, what could it be?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The CGN3ACSMR should be able to handle more than 9 port forwarding rules, but I don't know what the actual limit is.  Just for test purposes, try disabling the Skype port forwarding rules and then reboot the modem to see if that makes a difference.  The other thing to do is call Tech Support whenever you see serious delays in the game and ask the CSR to check the node to determine if there is any issue with it at that time.  I would start a notepad file and keep a record of the modem signal levels, copy and paste it both downstream and upstream tables and include a ping test to an address such as www.google.ca.  Run more than the standard 4 ping times, something like 20 pings:

ping www.google.ca -n 20

Annotate each entry with the date and time and any additonal notes regarding what you see when gaming.  Having the ability to look back over those notes might give you a better idea of what might be going on.  You could run a ping test to the WarRock server and keep a record of that as well.

Are you in a house, apartment, highrise, etc, etc?  Just wondering as that can make a difference in the equipment that the modem is connected to.

I Plan to Stick Around

ill try disabling skype and give it a try, i live in a bungalo house 

I Plan to Stick Around

i still have little lags and delays, but im thinking its the games server
I've Been Here Awhile

If anyone is having issues with console gaming (wired or wireless), I highly recommend assigning a static IP address to your console. It's the only solution I've found for NAT-type compatibility issues, or problems with online gaming sessions dropping or not connecting at all.