online gaming lags

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: online gaming lags

Im playing online fps game WarRock, i dont know what port forwarding for the game is. I have no problems on my ps3, i was playing grand theft auto 5 on the ps3 last night and had no lag or disconnection issues.

so i got the port numbers for the game, 

TCP: 5340
TCP: 5330
UDP: 5350
UDP: 5351

how do i add them to the router?

I Plan to Stick Around

I been having smilar lag issues on the xbox one.. I have the cisco DPC3825 and I was wondering if my stats are okay.. also I live in an apartment if that matters for internet 

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: -6.0 dBmV 40.6 dB
Channel 2: -5.0 dBmV 41.0 dB
Channel 3: -5.3 dBmV 40.8 dB
Channel 4: -5.8 dBmV 40.8 dB
Channel 5: -5.3 dBmV 40.6 dB
Channel 6: -5.3 dBmV 40.5 dB
Channel 7: -5.7 dBmV 40.0 dB
Channel 8: -5.6 dBmV 40.4 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 44.5 dBmV
Channel 2: 46.2 dBmV
Channel 3: 44.7 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Macadacious to set the port forwarding, you should first create an IP reservation, or static IP address for your laptop.  That way, if the modem reboots or loses power and then powers back up again, the IP address and port forward rules will still be valid after the restart.  Without the IP reservation or static address, a modem reboot might see a different IP address assigned to the laptop, negating the rules that you had set up.

Static IP address:

1. Log into the modem and navigate to BASIC.... LAN Setup

2.  Take note of the Connected Computers list that will fill in at the bottom of the page, specifically the Laptop name and IP address assigned to the laptop.

3.  Select the DHCP Reservation function.

4.  On the following panel, fill in or select the laptop name and current IP address.  I'm not sure what this panel looks like as the CGN3 manual that I am referring to does not have an example of that next panel.

5.  Save the data.

Port Forwarding:

This is shown in the following example for the CGN3 modem:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/HitronTechnologies/CGN3/Warrock.htm

Based on the port list that you have, you will need to create four rules, one rule for each port. For the first port: TCP: 5340

1.  As shown in that example, the first rule name could be Warrock 1.

2.  Assign TCP as the protocol

3.  Assign the same number to the start and end public port entries. ( 5340)

4.  Assign the same number as above to the start and end private port entries. (5340)

5:  Enter the reserved IP address for your laptop

Continue the process for rules Warrock 2, 3, and 4.  Assign TCP or UDP as required. 

Save the settings and reboot the modem by going to ADMIN.... DEVICE RESET, and selecting Reboot. 

Here is a link to the CGN3 manual which is not too far off of the CGN3ACSMR.  You can use this to refer to the pages for the LAN Setup page and Port Forwarding page;

https://www.midcocomm.com/contentassets/b443bbd36fcf458a883231f34d6f24aa/hitron-cgn3res-user-guide.p...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ToorEm, before I indicate to you to call tech support, can you indicate whether you play via wired or wifi connection with the Xbox?  Those signal levels are just at the borderline of getting a tech out to have a look at them, but first I'm wondering if you are running into wifi issues, living in a crowded 2.4 Ghz environment?

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh apologies I forgot to say everything is wired and I recently called tech about few days ago and no luck they said my signal levels are fine but when I play the game I sometimes teleport or my shots don't come out also have slow downs it's not just one game happens on others too
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you sketch out what you have connected to the modem and how it connects?  you could try an experiment which is to physically disconnect everything from the modem except for the Xbox, and disable the wifi as well and see if that makes any difference in the Xbox lag.

Can you run a speedtest at http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html or www.speedtest.net using the Toronto Telus server and post the results as well as what internet plan you are on.  I'm assuming that you're on one of the hybrid plans.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am in bridge mode with everything hooked up to my D-link router the things connected to it my Voip phone, smart home monitoring, Xbox one,modem and the PC and also I will give that a shot for the night and play a few hours and see if that makes any difference

Edit: I will add in the speed tests momentarly 

https://gyazo.com/462a77e71f1d744196aeb3f5c3940c42 < Rogers speed test

https://gyazo.com/447ed1f3653c01db1f8a3acaa87d4557 Speed test.net 

Also I am on the Ignite 100 due to having so many issues with the CGN3ACSMR I preferred this modem

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What you could do is disconnect the D-Link router from the modem, which will kill the Home Monitoring and Voip temporarily, and then connect the Xbox to the modem directly with the modem still in Bridge mode.  Only drawback is that this leaves the Xbox without hardware firewall protection ahead of it.  But for a few minutes you should be ok.  When you start the Xbox in this configuration it should pick up a new IP address and be ready to go. Give that a go for a few minutes to see if there is a discernible difference in the lag.  If there is an observable improvement in terms of the lag, I would look at the router to see what might be causing the lag through it.

Those speed tests aren't too shabby.  The jitter on the Rogers test is a little high, personal opinion, but certainly not outrageous.

When you had the CGN3ACSMR do you know if you had Firmware Version 4.5.8.16 loaded.  Thats a fairly new version which went a long way to solving many problems with online gaming, VOIP devices, VPNs, and many other latency intolerant applications.  That version has been deployed to all CGN3ACSMRs across the network as of Friday 10 Jul 2015 so, if you traded in your SMR for the 3825 before that date, you've missed a major improvement in the modem performance.

I Plan to Stick Around

I had the modem at that time and did have the newer firmware messaged communityhelps for it.. but still I had disconnection and my Xbox would lag sometimes not even displaying the dashboard properly.. ever since I got the DPC3825 its been better but I am still teleporting at times. I am going to give both those suggestions a shot tonight and update you tomorrow on how it goes

Edit: thank you for your fast replies tonight @Datalink

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wouldn't leave the Xbox running in that configuration for a great length of time, or anything else for that matter.  My personal preference is to have a firewall up and running ahead of everything, and that is the advice that I pass on as well.  I'd rather see people protected from all of the nonsense that happens across the internet, but, sometimes a fast test can be useful in proving a point with some piece of equipment.

The fact that you have lag issues with both modems makes me think that there might be something up with the building's Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU), which provides data distribution to the building.  Did you have the same configuration with the D-Link router when you had the CGN3ACSMR?  What specific model is the D-Link?