limiting internet times at home for kids

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

limiting internet times at home for kids

Does anyone know how to limit internet times? I have 2 children who will be home for a better part of the summer and I dont want them online all day and night long. Just wondering if i could have it on let's say from 4-11pm but off the rest?? I dont' know..Any suggestions?

***edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: limiting internet times at home for kids

What is your hardware setup? If your kids use wireless to connect to the internet, than you can just setup a schedule on your router for wireless connection. If your kids use wired connection, than it is a bit more fifficuilt to implement.

I'm an Advisor

@jfar99 wrote:

Does anyone know how to limit internet times? I have 2 children who will be home for a better part of the summer and I dont want them online all day and night long. Just wondering if i could have it on let's say from 4-11pm but off the rest?? I dont' know..Any suggestions?

Do they have their own computer(s)/tablet(s)/etc?

Are you running your own router or the Rogers gateways? I assume some routers have the ability to disable certain ports' access at certain times...

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Just say no internet between thiose hours or they lose all internet priveleges for a week and follow through if they break the rules. Smiley Wink

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Problem may be, that someone might not be fully home for those hours, etc... kids old enough to be at home alone.. but dont want them on the internet, etc.

Unpluging isnt an option.. as they are smart enough to just plug it in.

The CGN3, when NOT in bridge mode, does have some time of day options.. which appears to go just of mac addresses alone...
so SHOULDNT be limited to just wireless, as far as i know.
(have not tested it myself)

I've Been Around

Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to schedule my router. I have the same problem with someone using all of my internet GB. I would love for someone to answer asap please

Thanksin advance

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As stated earlier.. its easier said than done, depending on the unit, etc.

Unplugging when not at home, is the most surfire way.

But if you post what rogers modem/gateway you have, we can at least seee what your options are.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The other question that needs to be asked is: Is it really your kids chewing through your monthly download/upload limit on a day to day basis, or are you seeing an extraordinarily high data usage that comes out of nowhere.  There have been several cases of high data usage that cannot be explained.  When you check your usage online is it a constant usage or two or three days of extremely high usage?

I've Been Around

No sleep and no study...just the phone 24 hours.
I've Been Here Awhile

I am also interested in learning how to turn off the internet access to my kids after 11pm. 

I have an Rogers Hiltron box. Can anyone assist with how to do this please?

I know it can be done but not sure if I need to purchase anything else in order to do so. 

Thanks