lag when playing Ea nhl16 xbox one

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: lag when playing Ea nhl16 xbox one

Connection isn't consistent Im still experiencing input delay etc, and my NAT type is still MODERATE. Smiley Sad I never had these problems with the old modem/router. It's only since I was upgraded Smiley Sad
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, have a look at the following sites for XBox One port forwarding requirements.  If you haven't done so already, set up a static IP address for the XBox, and then set the ports on the following list.  The Hitron modems I believe are restricted to 9 port rules, so you end up compressing the list and running an IP range so that you can fit within the 9 rule restriction.  I would try port triggering first as an experiment so that you don't have those ports permanently forwarded to the XBox.  In theory, with Port Triggering, those ports should be open on demand.  The only question to this is whether or not there is a secondary inbound port used by the game server that is triggered by a primary port from the XBox. If that was the case, then Port Triggering wouldn't work.  Food for thought.

Sites:

http://help.ea.com/ca/article/opening-tcp-or-udp-ports-for-connection-issues/

http://help.ea.com/ca/article/nhl-16-ports/

PORT                TYPE

53                     TCP & UDP
80                     TCP
88                     UDP
443                   TCP
500                   UDP
1863                 TCP & UDP
3074                 TCP & UDP
3544                 UDP
3659                 UDP
4500                 UDP
6000                 UDP
10000-10150 TCP & UDP
42127               TCP

Compressed Port list
PORT                TYPE

53                      TCP & UDP
80                      TCP
88                      UDP
443-500           TCP & UDP
1863                 TCP & UDP
3074                 TCP & UDP
3544-6000       UDP
10000-10150  TCP & UDP
42127               TCP

As well, have a look at the following Youtube vidoes from the following thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/highlight/true...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCjScH9xNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtSM2aCsSNs

Essentially those videos show multiple attempts at a Multiplayer connection test in order to flip the NAT to Open.  I still believe that the fact that running the test multiple times resulting in success is an indication of a software or firmware problem in the XBox, and is not necessarily caused by the modem, although the Hitron modem NAT does appear to be more restrictive.  

If you have absolutely no success with these, then, its time to throw in the towel and use a router in full router mode with the modem running in Bridge mode.  

I Plan to Stick Around

I tried this, but still having connection issues, and my nat type keeps going to strict and moderate.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is there a number I can call for ROGERS to help me with fixing this issue??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Can you have a look at the back of the modem and let me know which CGN3 series modem you have, CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3ACSMR or CGNM-3552?
  2. Please log into the modem and confirm which Software (Firmware) version is loaded.
  3. Have a look on that same page, at the WAN address shown in the upper right hand corner. Are there two addresses shown side by side, one for IPV4 and one for IPV6 which a much longer address or does it show WAN IP Address: none, none ?
  4. Are you running the modem in Gateway mode or in Bridge mode with a router behind it?

Food for thought: Rogers has enabled Native IPV6 across the network within the last two to three weeks.  There may be some bugs to work out here and there but for the most part IPV6 should now be available to most users.  That potentially brings a huge change to how the Xbox One connects with games and other gamers.  With IPV6 running, and running successfully, there may not be any need for port forwarding rules set up in the router.  The Xbox One will look at Native IPV6, IPV4 and Toredo Tunneling and use the best performer of the three to connect to a match.  The question at this point is which modem do you have, what firmware is loaded and what is the modem’s current operating mode?  With that info on hand, hopefully we can see if IPV6 might be the answer to your problems with Strict and Moderate NAT.  The Hitron modems have fairly strict NAT policies and this can cause problems for online gaming.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey,

1) CGN3ACSMR

2) 4.5.8.16

3)No idea, how do I check if I am bridge or gateway?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

Can you delete the IP Address shown in Line 3.  Its not a good idea to show an active IP which could lead to hacking attempts.

That data shows that you are in Gateway mode, as there is an IP Address shown in the field.  And, you wouldn't be able to use 192.168.0.1 to log in to the modem if you were in Bridge mode.  At the present time you don't have 4.5.8.20 loaded, which is required to run IPV6 in Gateway mode.  I would expect that to happen over the weekend, if not by Tuesday at the latest, as the roll-out of that version should be almost complete.  You can check the Software (Firmware) field for 4.5.8.20 to show up.  When it does show up, run a factory reset, which unfortunately will require you to manually reset the parameters for the modem.  The factory reset can be done thru the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Factory Reset function.  After the reboot you should be able to see two IP addresses in the WAN IP address field which will confirm that the CMTS has issued both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses to the modem.  

Run an IPV6 test at:    http://ipv6-test.com/

That will confirm if IPV6 operation is viable or not.  If it passes the IPV6 tests, you should be good to go.  In that case, reboot the XBox One.  There should be a location in the XBox One user interface to see the IPV6 address.  It would be worth a look just to ensure that the XBox has picked up an IPV6 IP address.  If it has, so far, so good.  Give the XBox One a test by running a game and see what improvement there might be.  I'll be interested in any comments you make regarding any improvements there are, including the NAT situation.

If there isn't a successful IPV6 test at the above address, I'll need more info from you in order to have one of the Rogers staff address the problem.  At the present time, in West Ottawa, you can obtain an IPV6 address from the CMTS, but there is an upstream router configuration and routing problem that is preventing successful IPV6 operation.  That should be cleared up early next week, I hope.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for the tips I'll keep checking my firmware to see if it changes. But really why is this happening? I've gamed for years without these issues with rogers. It's quite frustrating this is happening I'm ready to give up and try another provider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I suspect the issue is the Hitron NAT and/or firewall.  I think you would find it easier if you ran a good third party router, where you would have enough port forwarding rules to satisfy the XBox's requirements for IPV4 operation.  

The other item to consider it the path from your modem to the EA servers.  It looks fairly lengthy, which makes me wonder if any of the other ISPs peer directly with EA. I would think that a direct peer with EA would result in greatly reduced transit times back and forth to their servers.  If you were looking at other providers, that's the question to ask about.  Keep in mind the modem and / or router situation as well.  You might end up with a similar situation, in terms of a strict NAT policy with another modem, or, you might end up miles ahead.  Just depends on the device itself, so that would take some homework to determine if you would be better off.  

For now, keep an open mind and see what IPV6 does, either good or bad.

I Plan to Stick Around

It's really frustrating that I've paid so much to ROGERS over the years and have had no issues with their old routers. I moved and I received a 'NEW UPGRADED MODEM' and I've had nothing but problems.  Now I'm being told to go out and buy a new modem to correct issues? Why am I paying money for this service and for their equipment if it doesnt work?  Surely this is something that can be rectificed from ROGERS without having to fork out more money for third party gear. GRRR!

I Plan to Stick Around

Can I go back to my old CISCO router? I had rock solid online gaming on that.