is slow internet due to rogers replacing cables in my building?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

is slow internet due to rogers replacing cables in my building?

our whole condo building has a contract with rogers. for the past 2 weeks workers have been coming to replace cables for every unit; the new cables run in the hallway to evey unit through the wall and they run along the walls in our home and our equipment is now run by these new cables which are RG6 so I guess the old ones were of lower quality or bandwidth.

the problem is internet has been fluctuating between normal speeds and crawling like dial up speeds. it used to be on the slow side much more often when the work started 2 weeks ago. now I can still see the rogers vans in our parking lot every day so I know the work's not finished yet. the speed is normal more often now than last week but it's still annoying when it suddenly drops out.

I wanted to know if the workers could be doing anything that results in drops in speed? but even at night or weekend the drops occur. Is there anything I can do or should I wait until they're done? Thanks for your help.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: is slow internet due to rogers replacing cables in my building?

it is possible that there are more issues going on, beyond your building.  I would talk with the site supervisor and advise him or her of your observations and see if he or she has any knowledge or opinions of the capabilities of the upstream equipment beyond your building.  Its possible that additional maintenance will be required to alleviate what you are experiencing.  Its also possible that this will settle out when everything in your building is completed, but, once again, maybe the site supervisor would be able to give you a better idea of what to expect.

Hello @susk ,

Thank you for your post. Bulk Internet Services give building owners high-speed Internet access for their tenants. The package you are on and the details of the plan are specific to your building agreement. If technicians are currently rewiring the apartments, it should be good news, as it will most likely enhance the quality of the Internet service, as well as Internet speeds you are benefiting from.

I would wait until the workers are done to get a better impression, as the cables you are seeing might be temporary.

As @Datalink mentioned above, try to obtain further information, from the building management, about the work that is being done.

What modem do you have? Have you tried resetting your modem ?

What do you see for test rates if you use the Rogers Speedcheck ?

Hopefully, the inconsistencies with your Internet speed will get resolved quickly !

RogersMaude

I Plan to Stick Around

Is the speedboost option still available?  I'm getting this result for my download http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/42552 but sometimes it's nice to have that extra speed temporaily.   I also don't know if my modem will work with higher speed plans, the Cisco DPC3825.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your link to the speedtest result doesn't work.  But, yes, speedboost is still used.  See the bottom post of this thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/1656

To move up to higher datarates, you will have to move up to one of the new modems.