internet packages

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: internet packages

Ah ok thanks for your help!

I Plan to Stick Around

I have been considering changing/upgrading my current internet package, and while speaking with someone on the phone heard about some kind of new packages coming out in March sometime?  I may have been mistaken and misunderstood.  Has anyone else heard about this?

Retired Moderator RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator

Hi @monty

At this current time I personally have not heard of any specific Internet promotion. With that said, Rogers always tries to offer new promotions. I would say to keep your options open (If you can wait till March) until you can specifically confirm yes or no. You might also want to keep in mind that some of the chatter you are hearing could be region specific (meaning not every region has the same pricing).

Be sure to check in from time to time online http://www.rogers.com/web/content/internet-promotions

This may sound like the regular answer but it never fails. Keep us informed if you get wind of any promo’s Smiley Happy

Cheers!

I've Been Around

So Rogers had me locked in to an internet package called "express 60" which allows 60GB usage @ 60 mb/s speed, for roughly $80 per month. I find out today that they have a package called "Ignite 60" which allows 200 GB usage at the same speed, and it is the same price of $80 / mo. 

What kind of company would leave a customer on that plan when they know full well that he or she is getting hosed. The express 60 isn't even offered on their pakages web page because it is obsolete. Yet they leave long time customers paying the same price for less than 1/3 the usage allowance that newer customers have at the same price.

This is such typical behavior for rogers. And they wonder why people hate them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@user1578357 wrote:

@so Rogers had me locked in to an internet package called "express 60" which allows 60GB usage @ 60 mb/s speed, for roughly $80 per month. I find out today that they have a package called "Ignite 60" which allows 200 GB usage at the same speed, and it is the same price of $80 / mo. 

What kind of company would leave a customer on that plan when they know full well that he or she is getting hosed. The express 60 isn't even offered on their pakages web page because it is obsolete. Yet they leave long time customers paying the same price for less than 1/3 the usage allowance that newer customers have at the same price.

This is such typical behavior for rogers. And they wonder why people hate them.

Express 60... is not a plan that I am aware of. Are you thinking of Hybrid Fibre 60? Or Express (which exists in both D2 and D3 flavour)? 

Here's the interesting thing: sometimes new plans are better, sometimes they're worse. The trend with the last big revamp (replacing with the Hybrid Fibre plans with the Ignite plans) was to make the high-end plans better value and the lower-end plans worse.

For example, I had the Hybrid Fibre 150 with 200GB bundle extra, so 150 down, 10 up IIRC, 550GB/month. In the current plans, there's the 100/unlimited, which is slower but more bandwidth cap, or the 250/unlimited, which is faster and costs more. Plus the HF150 gave me a discount for owning my own modem; the Ignite plans don't. If I had not moved and gotten a new retention offer on the 250u, I would still be using the HF150 - I never use more than 200-300GB/month, so why wouldn't I want more speed for a little less money? If they had forcibly switched me from the HF150, I would have been outraged... 

My parents are still on the HF30 with the 200GB bonus, i.e. 270GB/month. I believe that's a higher cap for the same price as the current 30 megabit plan. So if Rogers switched them to the new plan, they would get 125GB/month instead of 270GB/month. Wouldn't you be upset if that happened?

Also, different plans have different hardware requirements. The current plans require DOCSIS 3 hardware, and the 60+ megabit tiers require 24-channel (CGN3 family) DOCSIS 3 modems. That could require swapping out hardware.

Ultimately, Rogers will happily let you keep your existing plan (and increase the price by $1-3/year) and existing hardware. It's logistically a whole lot easier than trying to explain to hundreds and thousands of non-techies that they need to change their plan and upgrade their hardware. It's up to you to keep an eye out on the current plans and see if what's available now meets your needs better - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I could be wrong, but I don't think they ever lock you into a specific plan - even if you have a 2 year contract, I think you can always switch to a newer plan...