horrible speeds over VPN

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: horrible speeds over VPN

Yes I understand.  Intel chip/firmware issue.  I can't use a different modem on Rogers' service though so ultimately it becomes a modem issue.

I appreciate that code takes time to go from lab to production factoring in all the stakeholders, service provider priorities, shareholders etc to maintain a service presumably to hundreds of thousands of customers.  I also appreciate that some problems are lower priority than others.  If 500 customers are threatening to leave because their favorite MMO lags I'm sure that will receive more attention that the 12 people complaining about specific VPN issues.

@RogersSergio any mention of where IPSec/VPN throughput issues is on the list of issues being looked at would be nice.  I'm willing to provide any data, testing, try beta firmware, whatever might help.  But it would be nice to know if it's even on the radar and for when.  Weeks, months, years.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hoek fixing IPSEC performance is on the horizon.  First off however, an updated Intel SDK will be promulated sometime in the next few weeks or months.  Fixing IPSEC is apparently scheduled to occur after the SDK update.  @RogersSergio is on vacation for the next two weeks.

I Plan to Stick Around

+1

(Like button doesn't seem to work)

I Plan to Stick Around

I wanted to mention that after receiving firmware update 2.0.10.35T1 yesterday speeds over IPSec VPN have been much better.

File copy over RDP

Previously 1-2 MB/s.  Currently 5-7 MB/s.

File copy over ssh

Previously 1-2 MB/s.  Currently ~10MB/s

Probably more to do with the reboot than anything but who knows ... 

I've Been Around

@hoek

Having the same issues like you have been describing.

Apparently the 2.0.10.35T1 firmware was rolled back.  Are you back on 2.0.10.34T6 or did you get the latest 2.0.10.36T2 ?  I'm on 2.0.10.34T6 and hoping the newest firmware will fix the issue.

I've Been Here Awhile

I can't even connect to my work VPN with my new Hitron CODA-4582U.  With my previous Advanced Wi-Fi it worked flawlessly.  I used to set it up in a bridged mode with a Airport Extreme.  With this new modem, I only once got it to connect when not using bridge mode.  If I turn on my phone and use it as a hotspot, I can connect everytime.  I'm just using the VPN connection in Windows 10.  L2TP/IPsec.

Rogers says they don't support VPN's.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Why would I be able to get it to connect one time and then not the next time?

Hello, @gary7

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. Unable to connect to the work VPN can surely be inconvenient. If you were able to connect to the work VPN when the modem was in gateway mode; then we can rule out the modem.

What VPN client are you using to connect to your work network? When you switched the modem and reconnected your Airport Extreme have you made any changes to it? 

Looking forward to more details about the issue so that the Community can share their expertise to help find the solution. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi RogersMoin,

I exchanged the Hitron modem on Sunday and brought it home and configured it as a Residential Gateway NOT bridged.  Had VPN connectivity all day after configuration.  Tested again on Monday after work connected again.  Decided to put into bridge mode with Airport Express, VPN dead.  Brought it back to Residential Gateway, no VPN.  Factory reset, still no VPN.  Firmware version on modem is 2.0.10.33T3.

I plan on exchanging the modem and seeing if I can setup the modem again as I had done on Sunday and see if it stays functioning correctly.  Is it possible that there is a bug in the firmware that when the unit is put into gateway it blocks VPN?  Internet traffic is fine.

I've Been Here Awhile

Update.  I re-tried setting up the bridge connection the same way as always with the Airport Extreme and this time it is working.  Nothing done differently, yet it seems to work fine...

Can't say what the resolution is, but thank you for responding to my posting RogersMoin.

Hello, @gary7.

Thank you for the quick update, I'm glad your work VPN is functional again! I appreciate your participation in the Community, keep us posted of any changes. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin