hitron forwarding error from lan / connection port with public ip

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

hitron forwarding error from lan / connection port with public ip

Good afternoon to all,

I have a issue with hitron router model that I had never found in models like Cisco or Netger.
I am using a local server with redmine private ip server: 192.168.1.9 port 9000 service. I am doing the relevant port forwarding to that ip. Any computer on the public network (external connectins) can use the service without problems, we internally with private ip http://192.168.1.9:9000/redmine also can access to the ticketing system without problems, but if you try to check with a public ip in our lan  for example: http: / / 80.32.23.23/redmine hangs and gives an error lost connection.
It seems that the management of this router redirection from lan to outside doesn't like the other ones. Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards.

Detryo.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: hitron forwarding error from lan / connection port with public ip

So you are saying, that while INTERNAL on your own network... you can not access the site, via your EXTERNAL IP? (only the internal ip?)

This is actually fairly normal amongst MANY routers... i have found hit and miss success.

My OLD 54g linksys it worked fine.  Went to a dlink... stoped working.  Went to a newer linksys that i currently use.. same thing.

Not all models, support the loopbacking.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks GDkitty for you quick answer 🙂

Ok I can accept all router models don't accept loopbacking but... the problem is we have also a svn repositories in this server and our developers can get the projects without problems using public ip:port outside our company but now we can't take the projects from our lan because this router doesn't have loopback, do you have any idea to solution that issue? changing back this router for another with loopback?

Regards.

Detryo.

I've Been Here Awhile

I findet the solution here: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NAT_Loopback_Routers

Regards.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I the past (before CGN3) I have been able to test my port MODEM/ROUTER port forwarding by sending an internal ip packet (BEHIND cgn3) TO MY PUBLIC ip and expecting to see the packet appear at the internal server specified by the port forwarding.

Bottom line, CGN3 doesn't do it it just sends back RST/ACK. I have verified this with Wireshark.

It seems to work when a server on the public ip side sends to me, but not when I send an internal IP packet to my public IP

Any ideas?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The CGN3 doesnt support loopback.

Quite a number of even 3rd party routers dont support this.

Pretty much, when INSIDE your local network, it cant see itself, your public IP (but it can see everyone elses out there).

I myself run my own small webserver for testing, etc.  Over the years (close to 15) with rogers, i have had a mix of modems & router combinations.   Sometimes it did work.. sometimes it didnt, depending on the hardware at the time.

I've Been Here Awhile

Assign Public Ip to a device with Hitron modem

Hi, I just switched with rogers and was checking out the modem settings. I had my previous web server setup nice and easy, but now I am confused on how to go about that. I have the server connected to the modem wired and I can access the website from within my network area using the IP(192.168.0.###), but I want to be be able to access it from outside my WAN using a public IP address.

I have setup Port Forwarding on the device and when I check for my router public ip addess, like go to: www.whatismyip.com and it shows the physical address of the modem.

Thank you

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct.  When you go to any IP lookup, it will always show your external IP address of the modem.
ANY device from your network, will show up that way.

As long as you have the port forwarding set up, say port 80 (or whatever your using), TCP, to your internal IP of your webserver, it should work.

Now.  Most modems at least in my experience, dont support LOOPBACK.
That means,  while you are INSIDE your own network.. you can NOT check via your outside IP address.

because your both coming from in/out from the same IP.

BUT, should be able to be accessed from an outside source.

I've Been Here Awhile

So. When I go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ it should show the external IP of themodem, but for me it is not.

How do I make it so it does show the IP instead of the Physical address of the modem.

Do I need a router for it to work?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What sort of IP is it showing??

I have a webserver running at home.. and when i go to whatismyip.com on that machine.. it shows a 99.x.x.x external rogers IP.