duped! just purchased 250mbps connection!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: duped! just purchased 250mbps connection!

monkwan, for some reason the CGN3 downgrades link rates to 1/2 of maximum by switching to 20Mhz channel width.  

a 300Mbps link rate gets cut to 150 or 144 typically... a 150 link rate gets cut to 72... this happens on the 2.4GHz band

why the CGN3 does this is beyond me... it is not normal

connecting one WiFi device with a 300 2x2 will work fine as it starts out on 40Mhz channel width... put a second one on and watch what happens after 5 minutes

same goes for a 150 adapter... add a second device and the CGN3 switches over to the 20Mhz channel width which results in half the link rate  i.e. 72  (not exactly a half but close enough)

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey guys,

I bought a long cat6 Ethernet cable to run underneath me, through the basement, from my cgn3 to my Xbox one on the other wide of the room.

When I was using Xbox one wireless before, i was getting 50mbps-90mbps downstream, and always 20up. (Except for one strange time I was getting well under 1mb up & down)

Anyways, now the Xbox one speed test is giving me 258 down, 20 up.......BUT..BUT...But....but.........

My net connection cuts out totally randomly once in a while. It's most visible when using PLEX, because it causes the movie to totally stop, and says network failure, and i have to "retry to connect", and restart the movie.
I've never once had this happen on plex on Wi-Fi...and I've been using it on Wi-Fi for about 3 weeks.
Since I've wired, it's happened almost every half hour. Sometimes every 5 minutes for a period of time.

I haven't noticed it on my wired desktop much....

Except once when I was downloading WoW (almost 40GB) through the battle.net program, while getting 30-38mbps......it stopped 3-4 times, and i had to hit the “play/restart” button to continue the download.

It goes out for such a short time, it doesn't affect a lot of things (like a torrent for example; perhaps it would just slow back for 2 seconds)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well Plex wouldnt be going external to the internet.. its jsut all internal traffic.. but its still going THROUGH the CGN3.

Sounds more like the xbox is choking out the SWITCH part of the CGN3?

Very odd.
I run plex at home as well, not on the xbox tho, on my TV (wireless through my own router, then into the CGN3 NOT in bridge mode).. as well as wired to a PC in the basement for the TV there.. and have not had it choke out like that..

What type of cable did you use?

(on a side note, sounds like you are using plex for the xbox?  havent tried it yet.. but have been interested in it, maybe replace the need for the PC downstairs.  Wouldnt mind hearing your views on it)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

Well Plex wouldnt be going external to the internet.. its jsut all internal traffic.. but its still going THROUGH the CGN3.

Sounds more like the xbox is choking out the SWITCH part of the CGN3?

A 5 port GbE switch is $20 at the right time; perhaps that might be a reasonable thing to try here...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That was my thought as well.

Even just to test.. get it from somewhere you can return it, etc.

connect a gigabit switch after the CGN3.. then the 1-2 devices into it.  Any internet stuff should still go through/out to the internet, via the CGN3.. but at least device to device shouldnt leave the switch.

I'm a Regular

have tech support switch your CGN3 to 20 channel width instead of 20/40... see if that fixes it... yes, your link rates will be cut in half... this router seems to switch between 20 and 40 when it gets busy... you can tell if any of your wifi link rates change when you reconnect

I've Been Around

Hi, Monkwan

The speed to your house should be close to 250 problem is with wireless its only as good as the weakest link...

Wifi is great but its is dependant on the router and devices being able to talk at the same speeds.. Also surrounding interference and distance plays a big part on wireless data transfer. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Get a better wireless access point - but yes, hitting 250mbps on WiFi is difficult.

But really if you're getting such a fast connection you should really know a bit about networking.

I've Been Around

Hello,

I think you are incorrectly blaming Rogers for your misunderstanding of Wireless technology.

If you use multiple devices on a Wireless network at the same time, it will cause a lot of noise on the network - ultimately ending up in many packet retransmissions, which makes communication a little more latent and bursty.  In apartment buildings where there are many routers, this can be an even bigger problem.  I'm almost 100% certain that this is more likely your issue.

If you have the most current rogers modem - the Hitron CGN3 - your device has the following maximum supported bandwidth over wi-fi:   3T3R 2.4GHz +5GHz dual band with 450Mbps+450Mbps PHY data rate 

Source: http://www.hitron-americas.com/assets/CGN3-datasheet1.pdf

As you can see, your modem/router will support the maximum bandwidth that you can get @ ~250MBit per second.

Your problem is that you have 6 devices on your network competing for signal time, and you likely have neighbors who want air time on their networks too.  Unfortunately, we can broadcast wi-fi signals, but we can't prevent them from interfering with each other.  This is why devices provide a method of knowing when a packet is missed due to interference, it then asks for it to be retransmitted, and your connection slows down a smidge Smiley Happy

An epic router will improve this problem with its multi-antenna awesomeness and better technologies to better sustain higher speeds.  Keep in mind, it will still be subject to interference, so it won't be perfect.

Cheers,

JW