duped! just purchased 250mbps connection!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: duped! just purchased 250mbps connection!

@jszentir wrote:

Vivien, you're too funny... i didn't know you had a bias against Windows and Best Buy

average equipment that people typically buy won't get the speeds you're referring too

i thought you were on the 250?

I have a bias against PC vendors that include lousy, lousy, lousy single-stream, single-band 802.11n cards in their laptops, including in otherwise relatively-high-end machines. Business Windows machines (e.g. Dell Latitude, Lenovo ThinkPad) tend to have reasonably-capable wifi cards; Apple has also always included top of the line wifi (and indeed, to my knowledge, the current MacBook Pros are the only laptops with 3-stream 802.11ac, with a 1300 megabit/sec max. I have not heard of more than 2-stream 867 megabit/sec on a Windows machine.)

And yes, I have a problem with the fact that I could go down to Best Buy now, spend $800-1000 on a laptop, and chances are, it would have very lousy single-band wifi. There may be a few exceptions, but I'd have to pore over spec sheets extremely closely to identify those machines.

And no, I've always been on the 150. (Well, since the 150 was launched)

Also, note that the person you were replying to is considering buying 802.11ac gear, both a router and USB cards, not just using the lousy junk previously described. If I can get 197 megabits/sec (same as on wired) out of my 150 megabit plan, I don't see why his 802.11ac gear couldn't do better...

I'm a Regular

yeah, but then everything else has to get beefed up... $1000 later...

it's like my brother and his 700 horsepower off road racing engine plopped into his vette... he didn't change anything else... i'm surprised he didn't shear his gears... in the end the suspension couldn't handle it as the car was all over the road, so he put back the old engine... not long after, his transmission blew

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, might be 1000 later..

BUT.. to get the performance.. you have to sometimes spend the money.

The CGN3, as a MODEM, can handle the speeds getting to you.

As you well know, the built in wireless though on it.. cant.  Its just not cut out for it.
The better routers that can, cost the same or MORE than the CGN3, and they are not even a modem.  Cant really expect for the cost of the unit.. that peformance out of it.
(rogers advertising it as so.. well thats another story.. )

For your average mid range plans, the unit on its own, might be enough.

Its amazing what the difference in the quality of components can do with wireless.
I have always used my own 3rd party.  I had, what i thought was a DECENT $100 linksys.. better than the gateways..
BOY WAS I WRONG.  Went to the RT-N66U Asus.... NIGHT AND DAY peformance wise.. range speed, etc.

But like the PC discussion...
could i go out and buy a $400 laptop and it do some of what i would want? Yes... but it would be MEH perforamance wise.
I am fully prepared.. if i want to game.. if i want the extra speed out of it, etc... i have to make sure it has better quality components, etc in it.... but that all ends up costing $$

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jszentir wrote:

yeah, but then everything else has to get beefed up... $1000 later...

You don't need to 'beef up' anything to handle a reasonable network connection in this day and age. Any Best Buy $400 laptop is more than capable of speedtesting at 250 megabits/sec if its manufacturer had included i) a proper wifi card, and ii) gigabit ethernet, both of which cost very little to add...

I'm an Advisor

monkwan:

If you're still looking at routers, I highly recommend the ASUS RT-AC68U. I recently upgraded to the Hybrid 150 plan from the older Extreme Plus plan. I bought a CGN3 from Rogers and, a few days later, got delivery of the ASUS router, which I ordered online from Newegg.ca. In my case, which may be different from other peoples' experience, I had 2 major issues with the CGN3. The first was VOIP didn't work with Rogers One Number, which I've used for years and two: the CGN3 doesn't support wireless printers. Both of these things worked perfectly for years with my now obsolete SMCD3GN, and they both worked right out-of-the-box when I bridged the CGN3 to the ASUS. I didn't have to do anything other than set up the usual wireless security key for my printer. VOIP worked the first time I tried it and I did not have to configure anything, it simply worked.

My computer is wired and I consistently get 195-200mbps download and 11mbps upload. The 11mbps upload is slower than it should be, which is 15mbps. I should call Rogers about it, but it hasn't been a priority. The CGN3 delivered exactly the same speeds before I bridged it.

As for wireless, I have an older iPhone 4S and it gets download speeds of roughly 45mbps, which is close to double what my SMC and CGN3 delivered. Its upload speed is roughly 11mbps. I also have an old netbook computer which I seldom use, but I'm going to connect it one day just to see how it acts on Wi-Fi. Because I only have the 2 older Wi-Fi devices, I can't comment on Wi-Fi speeds for newer, much faster devices, plus I can't use 5G. I know from reading experiences of other users that the ASUS really shines in this area.

One other thing I really like about the ASUS is its GUI. It is extremely well done and easy to use. Doing admin things like a reboot, firmware updates, and some others is a breeze. It has a myriad of options and I'll be the first to admit I don't know what most of them do, but I'd say the router is very much "future proofed".

I Plan to Stick Around

That router is on sale at my nearby store for $209.99. Regularly 263.99.
But the top seller at the store is still the Asus RT-AC87U @ 309.

The money I will have to spend on the routers all have to do with some variables that i can not calculate at this time. I won't "settle" though. I'll just wait until I can get what's needed. (250mbps on all devices that can accept it. (galaxy s4, two  laptops with 802.11, but should be erfectly capable of accepting 802.11Ac USB sticks/antennas/devices.

So as for the macbook with the 802.11n card inside....Can anyone recommend a decent USB wifi stick/antenna that would deliver 250mbps on AC? (with a new good router of course)

Here's a recent speed test done by wire on the 250mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3923290627

Part of me wants to just live with the

I'm an Advisor

monkwan:

Newegg had it on for $209.99 when I bought it. Very impressive download and upload speeds.Smiley Surprised

I Plan to Stick Around

Jszentir,

Is it the router doing this? (dividing the speeds by 1/3 just because more than one wifi device is plugged in)?

SO will briding the de              =

And to the person critisizing bestbuy...

Would this router they sell really be bad?

Linksys Smart WiFi Router (WRT1900ACv

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@monkwan wrote:

And to the person critisizing bestbuy...

Would this router they sell really be bad?

Linksys Smart WiFi Router (WRT1900ACv

Hold on - I was not criticizing Best Buy generally, just the Windows machines they sell, which tend to be underequipped in the wifi department.

I have no opinion on that router. I have experience with the Asus and feel I can recommend it in good conscience...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You're asking if the Linksys router can really be bad?  Like any other purchase you might make, you need to do some homework and read through some of the reviews that have been done on the router.  In some of those reviews it has been criticised for having a small feature set.  If that is the case, you should download the user manual and read through it to determine if it will do what you need it to do.  The one thing that I would point out, is that it is marketed as being open source ready.  The only problem is that the Marvell drivers required to build DD-WRT firmware have not been released, at least as of the last time I read through some of the postings.  There is or was no indication of when that might occur, if ever.  So, if you are looking to this as a platform for open source firmware you might be disappointed.  But as I said earlier, do your homework on this router if you really interested in it.  Maybe if anyone here on the forum owns one of these, they could offer an opinion or two that might help in your research.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/content/dd-wrt-linksys-wrt-1900ac