duped! just purchased 250mbps connection!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: duped! just purchased 250mbps connection!

one more thing... when doing the out of the box test, be sure to delete your wireless connections from each device and reconnect with the password

I'm a Reliable Contributor

To be honest you will need a wired connection if you want to take advantage of those speeds but that depends to a large extent on where you are downloading stuff from.  If you are just browsing the web, doing emails, watching Netflix, etc then you won't really benefit from much beyond 60 Mbps.  But if you do a lot of FTPing from other servers or download large files from Usenet, etc then the higher speeds can come in handy.  It can be hard to sustain speeds above 100Mbps if your data is coming from outside of your local city.  I find that I get slower speedtest results if I try servers farther afield.  As a test try a speedtest on a wired PC to a local server and then try one to a server in San Francisco.

A second benefit of the higher end services is faster upload speed which can also be useful, especially if you placeshift video as it gives you lots of bandwidth to upload. The 250Mbps servcie comes with 20 Mbps upload.

The other benefit of the higher end services is more data.  I have the (now deprecated) Ultimate 250 service that gives me 1TB per month of data.  If you go through a lot of data each month then that makes it worthwhile as well.

I'm a Regular

about the price, if you have 3 services, you get an extra 200GB with the Hybrid 60 and up

e.g. cellular, cable and internet will give you a bundle's discount plus an extra 200GB for internet Hybrid 60

I Plan to Stick Around

I only have internet with rogers.

I get 250mbps on my desktop wired to the modem.
250 with xboxone wired to the modem.

I was getting 100mbps on my galaxy s4 the other day (which supports 5ghz, and AC)

90mbps on my xbox one wireless sometimes.

50mbps wireless on my other two laptops that only have 802.11n.

Wouldn't getting a good AC router, and getting AC USB sticks for the laptops get me the 250mbps speed on all these devices?

(then I could wire the xbox until they come out with support for usb AC sticks..[the first xbox released a usb wifi stick because it didnt come out with wifi..............perhaps xboxone with release an AC usb stick.])

I Plan to Stick Around

There's no benefit to decreasing the speed.

I carefully analzyed all packages, speeds, and amount of bandwidth they came with.

I might save like $20/month dropping to like a 20mbps connect and adding unlimited bandwidth.

I prefer to find a solution to increase the speed of my wifi devices. It seems common that people are bridging these modems so they can do this?

I'm a Regular

there is a $30 difference between 60 and 250  (all prices are before tax)

with one Rogers service, you might as well get the 150 if that gives you enough bandwidth and you want the speed... that will save you $15 and will give you 350GB

otherwise the 60 + $15 gives you 320GB

i'm getting 80-90 with speedboost on the 60 using n300 adapters... i get up to 120 so far using my n300 adapter on the 250 which should be the same on the 150

you will need n300 adapters to get better speeds as the CGN3 seems to downgrade connections to a 20Mhz channel width when sharing the 2.4Ghz band... i get about 90 once after being downgraded to a 20Mhz channel width

by the way, I wouldn't expect to see 250 out of wifi...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@monkwan wrote:

I prefer to find a solution to increase the speed of my wifi devices. It seems common that people are bridging these modems so they can do this?

When discussing bridging, it's done for a couple of reasons:

1. Improved NAT performance/reliability/feature set. e.g. it is known that the CGN3 handles VoIP traffic very badly.

2. Improved wireless range. A high-end router, preferably with external antennas, can generally do much better range (and therefore performance) than the CGN3. A middle/low-end router, I am not so sure...

3. Improved wireless speed. That being said, the CGN3 is capable of 450 megabits on 3-stream 802.11ac, so realistically, that means you need to be talking 802.11ac.

4. Getting around other limitations/bugs/etc in the CGN3.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jszentir wrote:

by the way, I wouldn't expect to see 250 out of wifi...

Why not? I've gotten 197 megabit/sec speedtests at speedtest.net using 802.11ac cards and an Asus RT-AC68U. I assume someone on the 250 megabit plan could do better...

(Now, getting 250 out of the garbage Windows-powered hardware sold at Best Buy, that's a different story... )

I'm a Regular

Vivien, you're too funny... i didn't know you had a bias against Windows and Best Buy

average equipment that people typically buy won't get the speeds you're referring too

i thought you were on the 250?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@monkwan wrote:

I was getting 100mbps on my galaxy s4 the other day (which supports 5ghz, and AC)

90mbps on my xbox one wireless sometimes.

50mbps wireless on my other two laptops that only have 802.11n.

Wouldn't getting a good AC router, and getting AC USB sticks for the laptops get me the 250mbps speed on all these devices?

(then I could wire the xbox until they come out with support for usb AC sticks..[the first xbox released a usb wifi stick because it didnt come out with wifi..............perhaps xboxone with release an AC usb stick.])

I guess the question is how much money you want to spend on this.

A good AC router, e.g. the Asus RT-AC68U I like to recommend (hey jimboden, you going to back this up?), is ~$200-230.

Then you need either

1) USB adapters. Make sure to get 2-stream (866 megabit) ones, not single-stream (433 megabits) or

2) If your laptops are not HP/Lenovo/Apple and you are confident performing surgery on them and they use standard mini-PCIe wireless cards, 802.11ac mini-PCIe internal cards. You can pick up an Intel 7260AC card for $30; I've got two of them...

Depending on what you do with  your laptops, it may be worth it... or it may not...