duped! just purchased 250mbps connection!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

duped! just purchased 250mbps connection!

So I've had the rogers 250mbps line for about a week now and I'm feeling misled. Of the 6 devices in the house (exluding printer), only the one wired desktop PC is getting the speeds I'm paying for.

All of the rest are getting 50-55mbps tops

Bit of a legal loophole being exploited here I think. I don't recall receiving any extremely "fine print" to read before receiving my bill, or scheduling the installation. But the site is clearly giving you the idea you are getting 250mbps, and there is no indication this speed is limited to wired connections.
They even brag about the modem giving you great  wifi speeds. "Advanced Wifi modem". Ha!

Do most of us not have most of our devices setup by wifi throughout our houses? I mean we can't run cables all over the whole house.

So it's pretty unbelievable they could supply such a router....

I feel pretty misled and ripped off.....now I have to go out and buy another router???!! This is almost like selling a car without a gas tank.

The whole reason I went rogers instead of teksavvy was because rogers supplied the modem, so I didn't have to pay so much to get started.
I didn't imagine in my wildest dreams the modem wouldn't do more than a 1/5th of the speeds paid for, so I didn't research it.

So I'm looking into my best move. can i get out of rogers, or is it best to get a new router?

Can anyone help me out with possibly choosing a new router if it turns out it's best to stay with rogers?

Is this going to be overkill? Linksys Smart WiFi Router (WRT1900AC) (being a small house and only a 250mbps connection)

Or will it help ensure I get 250mbps on all my devices?

Or will this be all I need to ensure all devices get full speed on wireless?

D-Link Dual Band Wireless AC1200 Ethernet Router

Thanks,

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: duped! just purchased 250mbps connection!

Ok, I have to keep this short for now, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Have a read through my CGN3 summary on the following thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/190...

Also have a read through my response to another poster on the following page:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/197...

The Linksys router is marketed as being open source ready, ie. DD-WRT, but the marvell drivers have not been released to actually allow a DD-WRT build.  Have a read through DD-WRT forum to see the latest if you are thinking of buy this router and loading DD-WRT.

Don't buy the D-Link router as the antenna are internal.  Consider only those routers that have 10/100/1000 Mb/s ports for both WAN and LAN and have external antenna.

Back later

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Before blaming the modem and Rogers too much, go and do some research into what your wireless clients are capable of. If you have single-stream single-band 802.11n clients, you can get a $250 802.11ac router and it won't do you any good.

And frankly, if HP/Dell/Lenovo sold you a machine that's only capable of 150 megabit 2.4GHz wifi (which means about 60-70 megabits/sec real world), then they are the ones who duped you, not Rogers. And unfortunately, outside of Apple and business laptops from Lenovo/Dell/HP, almost everybody else sells cheap, bottom of the barrel wifi. Some also only include 100 megabit wired.

This is the problem with the 150+ megabit plans - you could go tomorrow to Best Buy and buy a low end Windows laptop, and both on wired and wireless, that device will be unable to go above 70-100 megabits/sec. A middle-end Windows laptop will do about 70 wired (on single stream single band 802.11n) and whatever wired (over gigabit Ethernet). Etc. The 60 megabit plan is the fastest Rogers plan where you don't need to worry about whether the rest of your network is 'fast enough' to keep up...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And, just to prove the point, I did a little experiment. All devices were on my couch, within 50cm of each other, connected to my 802.11ac access point over 5GHz. I used speedtest.net for all tests. 150 megabit/sec Rogers plan.

Dell laptop with Intel 7260AC wireless card. 197.12 down, 15.89 up.

iPhone 6: 176.62 down, 12.98 up.

iPad 3: 27.37 down, 15.11 up (or less - the iPad is really not having a good day)

(all results in megabits/sec)

The difference: those devices have wildly different wifi capabilities. So my little iPad 3 wouldn't even max out Rogers' 30 megabit plan, let alone anything faster...

I'm a Regular

the CGN3 cuts the speed to around 1/3 of your adapter connection speed when more than one wireless device is connected even if the second device is idle

a 150Mpbs connection will get around 100Mpbs... when a second device connects, the speed is throttled back to about 50Mpbs

a wired connection with a 10/100 ethernet card will only get 30... however its the connection speed, not the card... somehow I managed to get a 100Mpbs connection on a gigabit card... and the speed test showed only 30.

Rogers is aware of the 10/100 problem... they don't realize its not the card... its the connection speed regardless of card of adapter... the result is always 1/3 when the CGN3 decides to throttle back each device... and it happens all the time in a shared wifi network with this CGN3 

see http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/197...

I'm a Regular

suggest using th 60 plan if you are totally wifi ... you will get pretty much the same performance and its a lot cheaper

I Plan to Stick Around

This comes with such low bandwidth allowance you would have to add the $25 infinite bandwidth plan...and then you end up saving about $11

I Plan to Stick Around

One older macbook laptop: connected on 2.4 has 802.11n and gets 50mbps down, 20 up. (on 5G it's much slower)
Another older laptop gets the same on 2.4.
My samsung galaxy s4 has AC, gets 50mbps, 20 up (on 5G)

Xbox one: comes with a bandwidth test, past tests usually got around 80mbps down, 20up. (on 5g)

running a few tests on xbox one right now.

packet loss 0, wireless strength 100%
78mbps down, 0.17mbps up - ran this a couple times and kept getting the roughly the same result, terrible upload speed.
now its 58mbps down, 0.77 up.

Looking up the xbox one hardware specs, it apparenty uses 3 built in 802.11n Wifi Direct connections.

a) why would the xbox one have had better download speeds than my galaxy s4.

b) whats with the terrible upload suddenly?

I have nothing going on at all!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you tried a reboot for the CGN3 and Xbox, and, are you using the same name for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks or do they have different network names?

I'm a Regular

5ghz won't help 

start with one device only and make sure you get a 150mpbs connection at your adapter, assuming you have wireless n... then try a speed test and see what happens... for the purposes of this test, the closer you can get, the better

if you're not having any success, you'll need to do an 'out of the box' test... for this test, do a factory reset, connect with a cable, go into the router settings and set up your 2.4Ghz wireless name and password... disable WPS and don't change anything else in the wireless settings... in addition, don't use the same wireless name... use a different one... for some reason this crazy router seems to remember settings even after a factory reset... you can change the name back to your original name later

note:  use the factory reset on Admin tab under Device Reset and be sure to stick with the default wireless settings... as I said, just enter the wireless name and password, disable WPS and do nothing more... 

for your own sanity, suggest testing each of your devices stand alone to see what kind of performance you can expect from each