connecting my wireless printer to the Hitron CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: connecting my wireless printer to the Hitron CGN3

Is this a printer which was on a different wireless before?

Just asking, as know when i got my NEW router, i had to re-set up my wireless printer.... and i had to do a full reset on the printer to it would be discoverable again.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The printer is a new canon pixma MG3500.  I bought it on Tuesday the 12th.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

with your E2500, is it just pluged in as normal? (no settings changes, etc).

While you might get internet on it.. its likely actually made a 2nd network.

You need to turn OFF DHCP on the e2500, and then connect the INCOMMING wired connection, into the LAN (not the WAN) port.

You also need to change the e2500's address (defaultly 192.168.0.1 i think) to something in the range, of what your CGN3s is.
(i beleive the cgn3 defaults to 192.168.1.x  so change your e2500 to 192.168.1.10?).

Beyond that.. not sure on the actuall SETUP part for the cannon.  Have only set up HP ones myself.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you very much.  The printer seems to be on the network now.  I may have to get a better modem than the E2500 but hopefully I will know how to set it up now.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

He e2500 is pretty decent, having dual band. But it only has 10/100 wired ports.
I swapped mine out for an Asus rt-n66u, and it's night and day with range, etx

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Can I connect a USB printer to Rogers Hitron gateway modem?

My printer is not “wireless”: it is an older HP color laser printer that connects via a USB port only. The modem has 2 USB ports. I connected my printer but it is was not recognized, hence my question.  I did a search and found no solution.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @claudemondor,

The USB ports on the modems are disabled. Unfortunately you cannot connect the printer to the modem directly. 

Hope this helps.

RogersHassam 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats not exactly true @RogersHassam

The CGN2.. the ports are completely disabled.

The CGN3.. they ARE enabled.... BUT... i THINK they only work for drive/file sharing, they are not set up for printer.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Is it possible to get my wireless printer (which only can connect to the 2.4Ghz network) and my laptop (which works better on 5Ghz) to speak to one another?  I've seen that on DLink routers you can disaable "Wlan partition", which then allows devices on one network to communicate with devices on the other network.  Is there any similar config for the CGN3?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@boboboboboasdfa that would be an "Access Point" isolate enable/disable selection, or something similar in wording.  I don't know if the CGN3 has that.  If you look at the back of the modem, check the modem model type.  It should be one of CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR, CGN3ACSMR. Of that group, I would think that its likely that CGN3ACSMR might have that, but, no guarantees on that one.  No matter what, I would call tech support and ask the CSR if there is an Access Point Isolate selection.  Its possible that he or she might suggest that this is a techxpert question which is a pay for service arrangement, $69.95 comes to mind.  If the CSR can't accomplish that and suggests the techxpert service, that will be up to you if you want to go that route.  If that is the case, you might want to consider running the modem in Bridge mode and using a router to accomplish the cross band capability.  I don't know if most routers actually have that capability, or if the AP Isolate is strictly limited to within each band, 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz.  Thats an interesting question actually.  I get around that by connecting our printer via ethernet to an Asus router, even though the printer is wireless capable.  With the ethernet connection, I use a static IP address assigned in the router, so it doesn't matter which band is used by a remote device, 2.4. or 5 Ghz.  Either path allows access to the printer.