connecting my wireless printer to the Hitron CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

connecting my wireless printer to the Hitron CGN3

The instructions from my wireless printer tell me to "press and hold the button on the access point"  What button would that be?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: connecting my wireless printer to the Hitron CGN3

with your E2500, is it just pluged in as normal? (no settings changes, etc).

While you might get internet on it.. its likely actually made a 2nd network.

You need to turn OFF DHCP on the e2500, and then connect the INCOMMING wired connection, into the LAN (not the WAN) port.

You also need to change the e2500's address (defaultly 192.168.0.1 i think) to something in the range, of what your CGN3s is.
(i beleive the cgn3 defaults to 192.168.1.x  so change your e2500 to 192.168.1.10?).

Beyond that.. not sure on the actuall SETUP part for the cannon.  Have only set up HP ones myself.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The button they are refering to, is the WPS button, which i beleive is on the back of the CGN3.

That all being said... you MIGHT not be able to get it set up properly.

The CGN3 seems to have issues with MULTICASTING over wireless (its ok via wired), which some wireless printers use for their printing.
Using a 3rd party router, in conjunction with the CGN3, wireless printing shouldnt be an issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

so I can connect another router to the CGN3 using a cable?  The printer will then communicate with the secondary router?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You have two options.

You can change the CGN3 into BRIDGE mode.. this effectively would turn it into a MODEM only, and connect another router, as normal.

Alternatively, you can still use the CGN3 as a 'router', just not use the wireless portion (turn it off), and then use a router, then only as a wireless access point.

(advantage of this, is that you can use ALL the wired ports on the CGN3 then still, where as bridged only ONE)

Either setup, everything should be able to communicate with other stuff.
(I have the access point setup at home, with no issues with my wireless printer)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

can I wire my printer to the CGN3 with an ethernet cable or something?  Would it then be able to communicate with other devices on the CGN3?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How would I turn off the wireless option on the CGN3.  What kind of wireless router do I need to avoid slowing down the current wireless performance?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, if your printer HAS a wired port, then yes, you could connect it wired, and others SHOULD be able to communicate with it.. but may be iffy still if that device is wireless.

You would need to log into the router.  Usually this is done via the web browser, going to 192.168.1.1, and entering in the login info.

Username will be cusadmin

Password is password, unless you changed it (which you should).

Under the wireless settings page in there, you can turn OFF the wireless.

For a 3rd party router? there are 100's of choices.. Personally? I wouldnt buy anything less than about $150.. comparing the lower ones, to ones above that price range? Night and day performance wise.  External antennas are always a bonus for range, etc (vs internal)

As for how to connect it, and set it up to be a access point, it would depend on what you get.

(i wouldnt go anything lower than this... this is the one i have now

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-dual-band-wireless-n-router-rt-n66-rt-n66/10243827.asp...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

There are two usb ports on the CGN3. Do they function the same way as the ethernets ports?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No.  The USB ports on the unit are for plugging in a USB key or ext hard drive, to allow file access across the network.
SOME units which have USB will allow for a printer to be set up over it... but i dont think the CGN3 does.

(comparably say to some DSL modems often have a USB connection you can use to CONNECT to the internet, etc.)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

well, I turned off the wireless function on the CGN3 and plugged in a cisco E2500 I had lying around.  The wireless is working through the cisco but I still can't connect the printer. The setup software says there are no printers detected on the network.