cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting HP printer to network

imssgl
I'm Here A Lot

I'm trying to install a new HP OfficeJet Pro 6978.  The printer works but I cannot connect it to the Wi-Fi network. It's not accepting the password. When I switched to Rogers in late Dec 2015, I had another HP printer and I connected it fine. What do I do? It's been suggested that I reset the password. Isn't that too drastic a move?

It's been suggested that I change the network password.

The instructions given were:

"On your main connection (wired), you will want to log into the modem.

Open a web browser.. go to http://192.168.0.1

If it hasnt been changed.. you will want to log into it with

cusadmin

password

Once inside there go to the wireless tab, and in there you can set the password for the wifi.

You will also want to go to the admin tab, and change the password to the login for the router from 'password' "

I've tried this method. I still cannot login. I get "Unknown Username" or "Unknown Password"

What am I doing wrong?

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: connecting HP printer to network

RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @imssgl

Thank you for posting on the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Can you try fasctory restting your modem and then try logging in again?

You can factory reset your modem by pressing the pin hole on the back of the modem.

RogersPrasana

Looks like the login password was allready changed for the gateway there.

Factory resting, will reset it to defaults.. so you can log in.

But it will also reset your wifi name and password.  You will need to re connect all devices then again to your wifi.

But it is possible, that the wireless password is not being accepted on your printer.. its not unheard of, for some devices having issues with passwords with spaces, etc in them... or even the wireless name having spaces, etc.

The factory reset worked the second time (I had tried it yesterday). Changed the password but was locked out afterward. Called Rogers Tech Support and they completed the change.

>>But it is possible, that the wireless password is not being accepted on your printer.. its not unheard of, for some devices having issues with passwords with spaces, etc in them... or even the wireless name having spaces, etc.<<

This was the original reason I wanted to change the password. Is there a way to get around this or should I change the password again to a simpler password.

Thanks for all the help I received up to now.

borford
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Since you state that this is a new printer and should have warranty support, maybe the best solution is to contact HP (1-800-HPINVENT) for help getting connected. There are things that they can suggest or have you do to ensure that you get and stay connected.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation