cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change Hitron admin password

obs
I've been here awhile

I would like to change my Hitron Model CGN3ACSMR Modem admin password.  I can log in with the cusadmin username and current password but when I go to administration settings and try to change it and type in the old password in the box it comes back, password has Invalid Character. Tried to do it a few times without success. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: change Hitron admin password

obs
I've been here awhile

Success! I reset it to factory settings and made up a new wifi and admin password without any trouble. This time I never used anything other than the alphanumberic characters.

thanks again for your help

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

RogersCorey

Hello @obs,

I was able to successfully change this on my CGN3ACSMR at home. 

Please try using only alphanumeric characters as a test. Perhaps you're using an illegal character in your password that's causing the error.

RogersCorey

obs
I've been here awhile

Hi and thanks for the reply. My current password has two !! characters in it besides alphanumeric characters but I was successful in logging into the admin settings. It is when I go to change the admin password that I get the error message in red underneath the old password box and I tried using just alphanumeric characters only in the new password boxes to no success.

Understood.

Please try factory resetting the modem and set it back up again from scratch. If you're still getting this error afterwards, then I would suspect a firmware corruption and would suggest we replace the modem.

RogersCorey

obs
I've been here awhile

Ok Corey, thanks for the help. I'll give er a try.

obs
I've been here awhile

Success! I reset it to factory settings and made up a new wifi and admin password without any trouble. This time I never used anything other than the alphanumberic characters.

thanks again for your help

Glad that worked!

Please don't hestitate to reach out to us directly via PM @CommunityHelps if you need any assistance directly from us in the future.

Thanks!

RogersCorey

are you saying we cannot use special characters on our admin password?

how is this secure?

Hello, @Austin8599

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. Which of the Hitron gateway modem are you using? Have you tried using a special character in the admin password?

The special characters are supported now, I have just tried them on my CGN3ACSMR modem and it works. 

Please see the Message 2 of the Firmware feedback thread where you can find the changelog of the new firmwares. If your modem is not running the current firmware, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

When attempting to change the admin password on the Hitron router, the device incorrectly applies a password mask to the "Old Password" field.

This means that if your current admin password is too short (perhaps because it was created from older firmware) it is impossible to change it without doing a factory reset.

Going through the admin screen will report that your Old Password must be at least 8 characters long, which makes it impossible to create a new password.

@AntManCan wrote:

When attempting to change the admin password on the Hitron router, the device incorrectly applies a password mask to the "Old Password" field.

This means that if your current admin password is too short (perhaps because it was created from older firmware) it is impossible to change it without doing a factory reset.

Going through the admin screen will report that your Old Password must be at least 8 characters long, which makes it impossible to create a new password.

Since the old password would have been "password" or your wifi password which requires min. 8 digits, it shouldn't happen. Call tech support and we can help.

1-855-381-7839

Brian

kenkoy06
I've been around

After i change the password of admin of router i cannot acces 192.168.0.1 it says refused to connect help me how to fix this

@kenkoy06 wrote:

After i change the password of admin of router i cannot acces 192.168.0.1 it says refused to connect help me how to fix this

@kenkoy06

Are you connecting to the Router using WiFi or a Lan cable? I would run a factory reset of the Router, then use a lan cable to log in and change the admin password. 

Did you only change the password, or did you put the router into bridge mode too? bridge mode uses a different IP address. 

Jan0219
I've been around
I need help.😓 i been trying to change our routers password. But every time i put the old password it says incorrect current password. I tried to factiry reset it thru site and the device itself but same error. Please help. Thanks in advance. Any help would be appreciated.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Jan0219 wrote:
I need help.😓 i been trying to change our routers password. But every time i put the old password it says incorrect current password. I tried to factiry reset it thru site and the device itself but same error. Please help. Thanks in advance. Any help would be appreciated.

@Jan0219

The user name is: cusadmin

password is your Wifi password, if you cannot remember your WiFi password then you can do a factory reset then set everything up from scratch. When you do a factory reset you have to go through the set up process, whatever password you set for the WiFi will also be the password to log in to the modem. Lastly you can call Rogers tech support and ask them to change the password if you are authorized on the account.

JetCanada
I plan to stick around

This only works if you want to reset your router factory defaults. You'll lose all of your configurations.

In a web browser url: enter 192.168.0.1 you will be presented with the login screen for the router.

- User id = cusadmin

- Password = enter your password (if you haven't changed it, then the password will be "password"). If you can't remember it, then you'll have to reset to factory defaults.

Click on Admin

- Look for the option to change user password.

- User id  = cusadmin

- Enter Old password

- Enter New password

HaArD
I've been around

>>>Since the old password would have been "password" or your wifi password which requires min. 8 digits, it >>>shouldn't happen. Call tech support and we can help.

>>>1-855-381-7839

>>>

>>>Brian

This response from Brian is untrue.

You can absolutely have an existing password that you cannot change because it is less than 8 characters long.

I could call Rogers and see if the people on the helpless line know what to do, but I really don't have the hours, or the patience that that would take.

I too am having this problem.  Some time ago, probably with an earlier version of the firmware, I had changed the cusadmin password to something that was only 7 characters long.  Now when I try to change it again with firmware version 4.5.8.45, I get the error Password must contain at least 8 characters.  I looked at the code in /js/admin_management.js and it is clearly applying a new test to the old password (line 183-185)

else if (oldpassword.length < 😎 {
                        this.showError('oldPassword', $.tag_get('Error_Password_Short'));
                        return;

I don't think it makes any sense to test the old password (it's already set!) - this code should be removed in the next update.  I know that my old password is less secure!  That's why I am trying to update it! 🙂

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 12 in conversation