change Hitron admin password

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

change Hitron admin password

I would like to change my Hitron Model CGN3ACSMR Modem admin password.  I can log in with the cusadmin username and current password but when I go to administration settings and try to change it and type in the old password in the box it comes back, password has Invalid Character. Tried to do it a few times without success. 

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: change Hitron admin password

Hello @obs,

I was able to successfully change this on my CGN3ACSMR at home. 

Please try using only alphanumeric characters as a test. Perhaps you're using an illegal character in your password that's causing the error.

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi and thanks for the reply. My current password has two !! characters in it besides alphanumeric characters but I was successful in logging into the admin settings. It is when I go to change the admin password that I get the error message in red underneath the old password box and I tried using just alphanumeric characters only in the new password boxes to no success.

Understood.

Please try factory resetting the modem and set it back up again from scratch. If you're still getting this error afterwards, then I would suspect a firmware corruption and would suggest we replace the modem.

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

Ok Corey, thanks for the help. I'll give er a try.

I've Been Here Awhile

Success! I reset it to factory settings and made up a new wifi and admin password without any trouble. This time I never used anything other than the alphanumberic characters.

thanks again for your help

Glad that worked!

Please don't hestitate to reach out to us directly via PM @CommunityHelps if you need any assistance directly from us in the future.

Thanks!

RogersCorey

I've Been Around

are you saying we cannot use special characters on our admin password?

how is this secure?

Hello, @Austin8599

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. Which of the Hitron gateway modem are you using? Have you tried using a special character in the admin password?

The special characters are supported now, I have just tried them on my CGN3ACSMR modem and it works. 

Please see the Message 2 of the Firmware feedback thread where you can find the changelog of the new firmwares. If your modem is not running the current firmware, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Around

When attempting to change the admin password on the Hitron router, the device incorrectly applies a password mask to the "Old Password" field.

This means that if your current admin password is too short (perhaps because it was created from older firmware) it is impossible to change it without doing a factory reset.

Going through the admin screen will report that your Old Password must be at least 8 characters long, which makes it impossible to create a new password.