cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot setup seperate 2.4G and 5G wifi network on new ignite wifi box(xb7) ?

garynice2000
I've been here awhile

Hi all!

I have just upgraded my  home  internet to 500u with the so-called 2nd generation router (XB7), all works fine so far,  however, I found there's no where I can setup a dedicated SSID for the 5G network.  Old model I could setup SSID and SSID-5G, but on XB7 I can't.  Called Rogers, and they said   it's purposely done so, which I don't understand. Just want to check with the community to see if anyone was facing same problem and got a solution?

thanks!!

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: cannot setup seperate 2.4G and 5G wifi network on new ignite wifi box(xb7) ?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@garynice2000 Rogers modems arrive with Band Steering enabled, and as a result the same SSID is used for both bands.  In your case, if you also have pods, you won't have a choice, as far as I know.  If you only have the modem, and no pods, then you should be able to disable Band Steering and use different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  I refer you to the following support page:

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/how-to-ensure-bandsteering-is-on-for-the-ignite-wifi-gateway...

Follow those instructions to get to the setting to "Use different names and passwords for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz".  Check the box and reboot the modem.  You should be able to use different network names when that setting is checked.  What that setting actually does is disable Band Steering, which allows you to use different SSIDs.  The title for the setting should also indicate that it disables Band Steering, but, for what ever reason, Comcast has decided to use that particular title.  Its definitely not intuitive.

You might be able to check the box and then proceed to setting the SSIDs from there.  If so, set the SSIDs as desired and then then reboot the modem. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Re: cannot setup seperate 2.4G and 5G wifi network on new ignite wifi box(xb7) ?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@garynice2000 Rogers modems arrive with Band Steering enabled, and as a result the same SSID is used for both bands.  In your case, if you also have pods, you won't have a choice, as far as I know.  If you only have the modem, and no pods, then you should be able to disable Band Steering and use different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  I refer you to the following support page:

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/how-to-ensure-bandsteering-is-on-for-the-ignite-wifi-gateway...

Follow those instructions to get to the setting to "Use different names and passwords for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz".  Check the box and reboot the modem.  You should be able to use different network names when that setting is checked.  What that setting actually does is disable Band Steering, which allows you to use different SSIDs.  The title for the setting should also indicate that it disables Band Steering, but, for what ever reason, Comcast has decided to use that particular title.  Its definitely not intuitive.

You might be able to check the box and then proceed to setting the SSIDs from there.  If so, set the SSIDs as desired and then then reboot the modem. 

garynice2000
I've been here awhile

Thank you so much Datalink for the quick response!  yes I found it on the App -- I was trying to do so from the Web-interface via browser, but turned out this option only exists on the App (same as "port forwading", can't do via Web browser).  

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 in conversation