adding a router to Hitron CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

adding a router to Hitron CGN3

Hi, having issues with low wireless signal in some parts of our home.  I'd like to add a router/repeater so that anyone connecting from the areas with low signal would just connect to the router/repeater instead.   Any ideas how to do this and also what harware to buy?

Modem is CGN3ACSMR 

thanks

***Edited Labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: adding a router to Hitron CGN3

not sure if this helps but my router is in the basement of my house and i have a house trailer that is 200FT+ away so i added a wi-fi range extender made by linksys and now i have a fairly decent wi-fi connection to the trailer,  i did a test dl from the trailer and got 5m dl rate and i was able to stream a movie from my house computer to the trailer with no buffering so i am thinking if that wrkd for me then maybe something like a wi-fi rang extender would help you out..

Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

Also...wifi basics, these modems must be standing upright for the internal antennas to be pointing correctly. Modem should be 3 to 5 feet in the air on a shelf or something, with a clearance of at least 6 inches around it before adding a repeated. In my opinion, a powerline wifi extenter would be better than a repeater but others may have a different opinion.

Each time the WiFi signal is extended, there's a 50 percent signal loss.

Brian

I've Been Around

"Each time the WiFi signal is extended, there's a 50 percent signal loss."

That's only true if using a cheaper single radio repeater that has to receive and transmit on the same channel as the source wifi.  Get a dual radio extender, it will rebroadcast on a different channel and not cut your bandwidth.  Also you can get a dual band extender, so it eg. receives on 2.4 and rebroadcasts on 5.8.  Again, no degradation.