Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

I am not experiencing any YouTube buffering issues or slowdowns whatsoever, neither when wired nor over Wi-Fi.  I have Ignite Internet but I also have Bridge Mode enabled on my XB6, am using my own router, business-grade access points, and I am not using Rogers' DNS servers.

Not saying this to make light of or to negate any reports of problems here.  Just providing another data point.

stepy2015
I Plan to Stick Around

I should point out that I too am in bridge mode and am not using Rogers DNS, I used to have issues but they have gone away within the last couple of months, it may be related to the DNS but I do not know, since I have never used Rogers DNS

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I recall a Rogers employee once commenting that their DNS servers have RR's pointing to local/optimal(?) CDN servers.  (Sorry, I can't find that post.)  However, that could be both a benefit and a curse.

I have also had problems with extreme latency and packet loss a year ago, but those issues also got resolved for me many months ago... but if your service suffers from those problems, it could affect streaming quality.

There are also any number of protocol/configuration-related issues that could be causing network slowdown problems, and if you call into Rogers, they most likely will not be able to find any problems on their end because your Internet link could be working perfectly fine.  The only way to troubleshoot these problems is with a network sniffer/protocol analyzer.

forcefed
I Plan to Stick Around

Which dns' are y'all using?
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@forcefed wrote:
Which dns' are y'all using?

I am currently using CIRA Canadian Shield.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

FYI: If you switch to a different DNS provider, you will likely also need to flush your system's local DNS cache.

Joxer
I Plan to Stick Around

100% @AccordXTC this got off the rails which the mods would love as they have no answer for the real issue - they would much rather try to frame this as a wifi issue or problem with your connection speeds etc.  It's all about the CDN from what I can see - VPN 100% fixes youtube issues.  Don't be fooled.

Joxer
I Plan to Stick Around

so @-G- you are saying that you watch hours of YouTube video at 1080-4k every day and have no issues?  Or just tried it after reading on here and think it looked fine at that moment?  Watching on a phone, laptop, or 65" 4k TV?  Do you use the 'stats for nerds' option on the apps, or at least hit more to see if HD or 4K is showing up to validate your experience?  If the app is tuning down your resolution you may not encounter any of the stalls/spinning wheels either, but eventually it will be so bad at some point (I've been down to 360p on my 65" TV - hello 1995, I've missed you) it will be painfully obvious how bad it is.

I've been able to search out 4k/60fps nature etc YouTube videos and play them on Rogers just fine - for a while.  It won't last.  Without the VPN running, which is a cost and a PITA in and of itself, I curse Rogers many times a day while watching quality YouTube streams.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes @-G- , as @Joxer explains.  To properly test you need to do the following: 

(I use a computer (Mac Mini) with an Ethernet connection for testing since this rules out WiFi issues and also allows for easy "right clicking" for the Nerd Stats and selecting other settings.)

1. You need to test at various times of the day.  Usually weekday evenings are worse.

2. You need to test for an extended period of time. You can't simply test for a minute or so.  When one wants to watch one of these videos, one may spend many minutes or hours watching, which is different from a fast test.

3. You need to select a 4K video - easy to find by searching YouTube for "4K".

4. You need to actually select 4K under Settings (gear). If you don't, then the video may be streamed to you as HD, or even lower and there will be few or no freezes, but the quality will go down and not be 4K.  You should see 4K in red at the bottom right of the video and in the Current/Optimal Resolution line of the Stats for Nerds.

5. You need to right click the video to see "stats for nerds" and watch what happens to the speed and buffer.  A 4K video usually requires about 25-30 mbps connection to keep a 20 second buffer and no dropped frames.  As you go below 25-30 mbps, the buffer will have fewer seconds, until eventually you have none and the video freezes.  You will then see a dramatic rise in dropped frames until the connection goes above 25-30 again.

6.  If you get a prolonged inadequate speed, if you have access to a VPN, redo the experiment and see if it remains inadequate, or whether the problems disappear per earlier testing in this thread.

7.  FYI, I have a 300/20 down/up Internet package and I always get 500 down, 22 up, even when the YouTube videos have problems.

8. I therefore suspect, as mentioned by @Joxer and others, that there is a problem somewhere at Rogers, or before you get to YouTube via Rogers...

9. As you can see from my screenshots, you do not need to have a 4K display, only select 4K in your settings.

10.  Just as an experiment I tried an 8K video and it seemed to require about 100 mbps to maintain quality... That was a brief test.

11. IIRC a 1080P video requires about 10 mpbs to view reliably, but to test the poor download speeds discussed in this thread, it's a good idea to try 4K videos which will freeze and drop frames as soon as the YouTube download speed drops (below 25 mbps or so).  On a bad evening, my YouTube download speed will drop to 5 mbps or lower and at that point you can't even stream 1080P.  YouTube will automatically switch to 720P or lower if you have chosen "auto" in the settings.

Here's a screenshot of a good download speed (~236 mbps):

YouTube GoodYouTube Good

Here's a screenshot of an inadequate download speed (~7 mbps):

YouTube InadequateYouTube Inadequate

stepy2015
I Plan to Stick Around

Something interesting I would like to point out is since switching to Ignite my videos have been defaulting to 4K, now we did make the switch from 150u to gigabit I do not think that alone caused YouTube buffer speeds and auto to improve, I believe it could possibly be related to enabling IPV6