cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

roofed
I plan to stick around

So For the Past Few Days I have Noticed Youtube Is not watchable i did some testing and nothing points to my connection having a problem this all points to youtube/rogers CDN servers failing as some "Stream Host" seem to be working but almost all of them dont. This problem is on browsers as for trying this on mobile android youtube app 720p60 seems to hold a stable 13mbps while on pc 1080p60 seems to start @ 50000kbps to a min 1000kbps. My internet speed is fine line quality is good while doing the test i had twitch.tv streams running on source no drops nothing in bandwidth flow same for downloading tested on multiple browsers Firefox| Chrome

Below is a gif showing what happens Notice how the "stream host" changes and bandwidth begins to drop

https://gfycat.com/GrimyGiddyKagu

***Edited Labels***

320 REPLIES 320

Re: Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

VZ1
I've been here awhile

Thank you for update @AccordXTC. That is interesting and promising.

I, personally, gave up. Since I lived with this issue for few months and this forum thread continues since January 2017, I realized there's not too much hope and switched to Bell on Monday.

While my total bandwidth is down to 100 Mbps now, YT connection speed is consistently 55-85 Mbps which is great, no buffering, 0 dropped frames when streaming 4K videos, see screenshots below. 

I watched YouTube last 3 evenings without a single hiccup, first time in past few months.

After your recent post, I temporary connected to Rogers (going to keep their line for a couple more days). For the past hour, 4K videos are playing well, YT connection speed is 50-70 Mbps so far.

So you are right, it looks like Rogers has fixed something, hopefully that's a permanent fix.

YouTube via Bell 100 Mbps link:

4K video 14K video 14K video 24K video 2

AccordXTC
I'm a reliable contributor

@VZ1 Your welcome. I'm confident to finally say this has been resolved. I've been asking for an update to the final resolve to this issue and what was done. I should have an answer before the end of the week. 

I put a lot of effort into getting this resolved but did so because I know there was way to many other customers who tried to tell Rogers this was an issue and told it was not. I know that YouTube on my Ignite or Sony TV will be lower under 100mbps because of the wired cap on these products. I can say for my PC I see upwards of 200-300mbps for streams.

Enjoy!

Joxer
I plan to stick around

@AccordXTCThanks for chasing this!  I'll look forward to your update.  I haven't been watching as many high bitrate videos in the evenings of late, but it has been solid during the day.  I'm not super confident using a 4-5 day sample only but it does look encouraging.  Actual word that they've done something to fix the problem and I'm not just lucking out for the moment would be great.

Yes I probably meant under 1Mbps in my last post but it has literally (not in the SNL skit sense) gone below 1Kbps in the worst cases.  426x240 video instead of 4k on a 65" OLED.  And then I can turn around download a game update at say 200mbps on the very same device.

AccordXTC
I'm a reliable contributor

*** Final Update ***

"Based on the information we provided, Google was able to identify that the issue you reported impacted multiple YouTube users and it was not exclusive to Rogers customers.  As such, your negative experience with 4K content on YouTube had nothing to do with Rogers’ network configuration.  Google advised that once the issue was identified, it had implemented a configuration change to improve the flow of traffic from YouTube’s network to its cache servers.  This took some time to implement by Google and this explains the delays in observed service improvements on your end"

Funny how this issue is all related to Rogers customers and nothing on any other ISP networks. I also can confirm that using Bell Fibe this issue is and never was present with my same YouTube account as well as not logging into my YouTube account.

forcefed
I plan to stick around

I definitely noticed a difference, connection to youtube is at 60-120mbps now during peak times, before it was maybe 5-10 tops. 

Can't believe it took complaints to ccts and crtc to fix this, after 4 years of complaints this thread can finally get the SOLVED badge with no thanks to rogers but to AccordXTC 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Joxer
I plan to stick around

To borrow a phrase from Letterkenny: "Can confirm".  I haven't seen any issue with 4k or 1080p videos in over a week now.  Occasionally a video will take a few seconds to start streaming but that is definitely acceptable if it means the buffer is primed for a smooth experience after that point.  I don't care if Rogers wants to try to save face by blaming Google or not at this point, although I don't really know why they bother with this type of pretense.

With the warm weather on the horizon I was literally a week or two away from calling Bell and doing some minor renovations to make their install acceptable.

Thanks again @AccordXTC