Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AccordXTC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

I just tried mine again for 4K and 1080p no problem and loads much faster. I supposed there is more to check on their end but its an improvement to what it was before. 

@Maxhac Are you using a device that is wired or WiFi?

Maxhac
I'm Here A Lot

Wired connection.

Ok i think it was only temporary.  I opened 2 4K videos at the same time and the buffer stay between 10 and 15 seconds.

I hope it stay like that.

EugW1
I Plan to Stick Around

YouTube 4K buffering is a disaster today. I had a tech visit on the weekend to fix any line issues and my line stats are currently OK. (My previous setup was with legacy cable TV so I had a bunch of splitters which he removed and brought down the signal strength at the modem with an attenuator.) Currently with my XB6 I'm at -1 to +7 dBmV downstream with SNR of 35.4 to 41 dBm.

The YouTube Stats for nerds is saying the YouTube bitrate is frequently dropping below 15 Mbps, and sometimes even below 5 Mbps. Meanwhile Netflix is consistently over 200 mbps (at fast.com) with no problems with 4K Netflix. Testing is all wired, on a Gigabit plan.

Assuming this is all because of their YouTube caching servers, Rogers needs to fix them asap. They're terrible.

KoN1
I Plan to Stick Around

Yup absolutely horrible today. 4k videos won't even load for me just a black screen.

2021-03-03 20_48_58-COSTA RICA IN 4K 60fps HDR (ULTRA HD) - YouTube — Mozilla Firefox.png

Maxhac
I'm Here A Lot

@KoN1 

I found out that some videos take forever to start loading then buffer for a minutes then its good.

Edit: It appear that my post got sent before i finished it.

EugW1
I Plan to Stick Around

Interesting.

On the left I have a VPN active in Chrome.

On the right it's Safari without VPN.

Both are on running on the same (wired) computer at the same time.

Video is Costa Rica 4Kp60 HDR, both at 4K using VP9.

Bitrates in Chrome (VPN) ranged from about 150 Mbps down to about 50 Mbps.

Bitrates in Safari (no VPN) ranged from about 200 Mbps down to about 5 Mbps.

EDIT:

It seems the screen grab isn't showing.

Anyhow, it shows the bitrate in Chrome (VPN) is at about 72 Mbps with a buffer of 30 s, while the bitrate in Safari (no VPN) is at about 8 Mbps with a buffer of 10 s.

Again, this is on the same computer, running at the same time, since by side, both with the same internet connection.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 8.52.08 PM.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I tested at 5:30PM and at 11:30PM and had no issues with downloads again from 30-250 mbps.  Perhaps I was lucky and others were unlucky with their timing.  I had zero dropped frames and a healthy buffer at all times. I tested for about 5 minutes each time, which perhaps wasn't long enough to find hiccups...

stockylobster
I Plan to Stick Around

Mine seems to have gotten worse 😞
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@EugW1 wrote:

Interesting.

On the left I have a VPN active in Chrome.

On the right it's Safari without VPN.

Both are on running on the same (wired) computer at the same time.

Video is Costa Rica 4Kp60 HDR, both at 4K using VP9.

Bitrates in Chrome (VPN) ranged from about 150 Mbps down to about 50 Mbps.

Bitrates in Safari (no VPN) ranged from about 200 Mbps down to about 5 Mbps.

EDIT:

It seems the screen grab isn't showing.

Anyhow, it shows the bitrate in Chrome (VPN) is at about 72 Mbps with a buffer of 30 s, while the bitrate in Safari (no VPN) is at about 8 Mbps with a buffer of 10 s.

Again, this is on the same computer, running at the same time, since by side, both with the same internet connection.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 8.52.08 PM.jpg

You may wish to try it the other way around.  I repeated your experiment with Chrome on the left (starting that first) and then Firefox on the right (starting second) and got the same result you did with the second video buffering.  However, if I started with FF and then launched Chrome second, it was Chrome that started buffering.  I don't have a VPN.  I did the same using Safari and found that the video that started first had no issues, while the second buffered.  

I did some testing this morning at around 10:30-11AM and had no issues streaming one 4K stream on my computer, again with bitrates of 30-250 mbps on my 300 mbps connection.

EugW1
I Plan to Stick Around

^^^ @57: Well, I also tested Chrome by flicking VPN on and off. 

Immediately after I turned off VPN on Chrome, the connection speed began to decline, and in less than half a minute, the speed slowed to below 10 Mbps causing the video to periodically pause to allow buffering.

Then I turned VPN back on in Chrome, and immediately the connection speed started to rise back up, and in less than 10 seconds the listed connection speed was over 50 Mbps. After that it fluctuated between about 50-100 Mbps, and of course the playback was smooth.

BTW, when I do such testing, I also periodically try the speed test at fast.com which is the speed test associated with Netflix. It always reads over 100 Mbps, and usually over 200 Mbps.