cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

roofed
I plan to stick around

So For the Past Few Days I have Noticed Youtube Is not watchable i did some testing and nothing points to my connection having a problem this all points to youtube/rogers CDN servers failing as some "Stream Host" seem to be working but almost all of them dont. This problem is on browsers as for trying this on mobile android youtube app 720p60 seems to hold a stable 13mbps while on pc 1080p60 seems to start @ 50000kbps to a min 1000kbps. My internet speed is fine line quality is good while doing the test i had twitch.tv streams running on source no drops nothing in bandwidth flow same for downloading tested on multiple browsers Firefox| Chrome

Below is a gif showing what happens Notice how the "stream host" changes and bandwidth begins to drop

https://gfycat.com/GrimyGiddyKagu

***Edited Labels***

320 REPLIES 320

Re: Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

xuelide
I plan to stick around

It has been 3weeks after I sent my testing result to @RogersMoin and I revises no result.

The problem did not improve any. just want to have some explanation. 

I need help!

hys17
I'm here a lot

Got the Ignite Gigabit Internet 2 months ago and having the exact same issue. Tried different devices (different TV, different media players including PS4 and Xbox One X). Turns out it's the internet that's causing the lagging on anything above 1080p. Doesn't have the same problem on any other website/services and the same TV used to be able to play Youtube 4K HDR in my previous place with FibreStream (too bad they don't exist in the current area).

Would love to hear any update on this issue.

forcefed
I plan to stick around
Can't believe this still isn't fixed, tiny resellers don't have this issue so why does Rogers?

test6666
I plan to stick around

Agreed. Can't beleive it either. It's like over 6 monthes now! Don't tell me Rogers doesn't have labs and testing facilities to get their own data! It's very easy to replicate and they can get whatever logs and data they want! Stalling tactics!

Issue still there as of yesterday! Everybody at my place of work who has Rogers also sees issue.

futurelgcy
I plan to stick around
CAN SOMEBODY FROM ROGERS ADDRESS THIS 4K YOUTUBE BUFFERING ISSUE!!!!!!

THIS IS ALL ABOUT 4K STREAM NOT 1080P. I PAY FOR  GIGABIT INTERNET TO specifically to view 4K ON MY TV AND IT'S BEEN ALMOST A YEAR WITHOUT ANSWERS! i tried a  50 mbps connection from another company and it works flawless. This is really getting to me now and very unacceptable the way it has been dealt with. RogersDave would have already dealt with this if he was still here and this is why he is so missed.     @RogersSergio @RogersTony @RogersTony @RogersMargaret @RogersGordon @RogersMoin

Hello,

Thank you for your continued patience while we continue to work finding the solution. 

@xuelide - my apologies for the delayed response. The backend teams investigating the concern were not able to notice any playback issue in the data you have provided. Are you firewalling any Google assets like cache servers? If yes, can you remove all the Google resources/assets from the block list and collect the data again? 

Community - I have repeatedly asked for the following the data quoted below, however, I've received only from @xuelide. We are still looking for more examples if you can gather all of the requested data of a failing playback it would be helpful to investigate the issue. 

@RogersSergio wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I know a number of you have raised issues with YouTube performance and I have been asked if it would be possible to get your help to gather more information to share with Google in order to understand what is happening and get it resolved.

For anyone experiencing these issues that is willing to help out... Can you please provide us the following info. This would help us to dig down the issue in more detail:

* URL of the page with the problem

* Description of the problem

- Does the video load?

- Does the video stop playing?

- Do you see an error message?

* Screenshot of the error message

* Name and version of the browser and operating system

* Time and date of the problem, with timezone

* IP range that reports the problem

* Results of http://redirector.googlevideo.com/report_mapping

* Right click the YouTube player, select Copy Debug Info and paste the results

To help us more, please capture a web session that shows the problem:

1. Start Google Chrome
  2. Open a new Incognito window
  3. Click the Chrome menu (3 bars), and select More Tools, Developer Tools
  4. Select the Network tab
  5. Play the video until you see the problem
  6. Right click the bottom half of the Network panel, and select Save as HAR with Content
  7. Zip and send the file to us

If you know how to use tcpdump or wireshark, you can capture all the network packets of the web session:

- DNS (port 53)

- HTTP (port 80)

- HTTPS (port 443)

IMPORTANT: A packet capture may include network traffic outside of the web session, including your private information. Please do not send this capture to us, unless you understand the technical and privacy implications of revealing your network traffic to a 3rd party.

Please do not post any captures on the public forum; send me a private message instead.

In the mean time we are continuing to work with Google.

Thanks,

RogersSergio

Regards,

RogersMoin

forcefed
I plan to stick around

* URL of the page with the problem

* Description of the problem

- Does the video load?

- Does the video stop playing?

- Do you see an error message?

* Screenshot of the error message

* Name and version of the browser and operating system

* Time and date of the problem, with timezone

* IP range that reports the problem

* Results of http://redirector.googlevideo.com/report_mapping

* Right click the YouTube player, select Copy Debug Info and paste the results

These steps are so pointless, just record a 4k video of the problem on your phone and post it on youtube and hope that the rogers techs can experience the problem themselves watching the video.

futurelgcy
I plan to stick around

@RogersMoin I really think rogers need to train and educate there employees a bit more because it seems like we the customers have more knowledge about these technical issues than them. Like what data is there to be recorded again? How about you going from page one and read everything til this moment? It's been so long and no answers smh. Or how about you guys bringing the people who does the fixing one mourning or a moment to the forums to communicate and make it easier for everyone instead of these erratically generic answers and response?

test6666
I plan to stick around

@RogersMoin

Every rogers user I asked is experiencing the problem! I sent you a youtube URL for you to do it. Rogers has a lab where you can test and get whatever data you want! I also sent a private message asking for more details and no answer!

AGAIN! I repeat:

https://youtu.be/RK1K2bCg4J8

Force it to play 4K otherwise it will auto fall back to 1080P, use on a TV Youtube App or Roku. Did you try it? Do you have rogers? 

Thanks,

Hello, @test6666

Thank you for your patience and understanding. I couldn't replicate the issue with the 4K asset you have provided, I have even tried on a legacy 75/10 Mbps package and the playback is as smooth as any other non-4K  videos.

Community - I certainly acknowledge the participants of this thread are experiencing 4K streaming issues on YouTube. I request again if anyone can collect all of the requested data of a failing 4K playback so that we can investigate the issue. Also, please unblock any blocked Google assets before capturing the data. 

Thanks again and I await your immediate response. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

futurelgcy
I plan to stick around

What was the test done on @RogersMoin? And as @test6666 said you got to choose 4k option and also look at the stat for nerd or you wouldn't know unless you got 4k eyes. This 4k 60fps  video will be a better test https://youtu.be/LXb3EKWsInQ . It's a known problem network wide. All u guys need to do is too get off the cdn YouTube cache servers. I've even went as far as  getting 50mpbs package from other isp and it runs smooth no matter if you using it on tv or gaming console etc. Then i plug in rogers gigabit vs 5o mbps and it doesn't work it literally throttles the speed backk too 1080p or 1440p. And it's all  about the speed getting throttled when a 4k video gets played. It goes way pass less than 10 mbps meanwhile you need like a solid 35 mpbs to stream 4k solid .

Hello, @futurelgcy

We greatly appreciate your input on this issue. It would be very accommodating if you could capture the data requested while connected to the other ISP and Rogers. The backend teams working on this matter can analyze both the data captures to isolate the issue and hopefully resolve it in a timely manner.

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Cheers,
RogersMoin 

futurelgcy
I plan to stick around

https://streamable.com/4mksr (YOUTUBE BUFFERING ISSUE)  @RogersMoin    This is what exactly happens all day! And am on a Gigabit plan to even make matters worse.

forcefed
I plan to stick around
Nevermind...

xuelide
I plan to stick around
can't be any more similar
https://streamable.com/3cnye
this is my recording.
all video just start to be slowing right after playing videos.

Hello, Community.

Thank you all for your continued patience; we are looking into alternate ways of collecting the required data to analyze the 4K playback failures. We will keep the Community apprised of the progress as the new information becomes available. 

Regards,

RogersMoin

test6666
I plan to stick around

Hi

I have some more info to share, if other users can also confirm.

I tried: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK1K2bCg4J8&t=701s

on Chrome, and forced to 4k playback (even if my screen doesn't do 4K) and in stats for nerds, the BUFFER PERFECT. Download speeds of over 100Megs showing on stats for nerds. And this was over Wifi too.

However, when I do the same test on ROKU or my Youtube client on my LG TV, it experiences the issue (Wired, not wireless). I will test on Android TV later. so, @RogersMoin

I can confirm this. I have 1 desktop PC, 2 smart TVs, 1 Playstation 4, 1 Xbox One X. Only the PC can play 4k fine sometimes. All the other devices are having the exact same buffering problem. I can turn on the Stats For Nerds function in the Youtube App on the Xbox One X and it shows the speed limit happens anywhere between 15mbps to 20mbps, which is not enough for 4K streaming. 

Note, I've used one of the smart TVs at my old place when it was absolutely fine with streaming 4K with FibreStream 250mbps internet, so it's not the device issue, nor the app issue.

Hello, 

@test6666 - I did my testing on a desktop and a laptop using Chrome.

@hys17 - Thank you for joining the Rogers Community Forums and for your input regarding this matter. I appreciate your patience while we continue to work to find the solution. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

futurelgcy
I plan to stick around

@RogersMoin  Can you make sure that the team focuses mainly on the devices etc Xbox, smart tvs? My problems are also coming from my xbox one x @hys17 . And i'm on a gigabit connection and i've recently also use a 3rd party isp competitor which streams 4k flawless with 1 twentieth the 1gbps i suppose to be getting from rogers.

test6666
I plan to stick around

Thanks, @RogersMoin... That explains it. I was also ok using Chrome on Windows.

Please test using tv boxes like Roku, android tv, built in tv YouTube clients.

Thanks,