cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

roofed
I plan to stick around

So For the Past Few Days I have Noticed Youtube Is not watchable i did some testing and nothing points to my connection having a problem this all points to youtube/rogers CDN servers failing as some "Stream Host" seem to be working but almost all of them dont. This problem is on browsers as for trying this on mobile android youtube app 720p60 seems to hold a stable 13mbps while on pc 1080p60 seems to start @ 50000kbps to a min 1000kbps. My internet speed is fine line quality is good while doing the test i had twitch.tv streams running on source no drops nothing in bandwidth flow same for downloading tested on multiple browsers Firefox| Chrome

Below is a gif showing what happens Notice how the "stream host" changes and bandwidth begins to drop

https://gfycat.com/GrimyGiddyKagu

***Edited Labels***

320 REPLIES 320

Re: Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

beaudoinj
I'm here a lot

Still an issue.

forcefed
I plan to stick around

This is not a new issue, its been going on for years, how your staff hasn't been able to see that the cache servers are overloaded in the evenings is a mystery to me, that's why they've been blocking certain ip ranges to bypass them.

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Thank You for the update

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Sometimes even that does not work. But a VPN does @RogersRoland do you know why?

awais22
I plan to stick around

@RogersRoland Any idea when we will get a time frame on when this issue will be fixed? It has been going on for a long time

test6666
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the update...

Would someone please change the subject of this thread to unresolved..

Thanks,

awais22
I plan to stick around

Youtube still lagging. 

Is it fixed for anyone else?

Hey Community,

Great news. @RogersSergio and his team will also be assisting us as we work towards a resolution for this issue. See the below message and instructions from his reply.

@RogersSergio wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I know a number of you have raised issues with YouTube performance and I have been asked if it would be possible to get your help to gather more information to share with Google in order to understand what is happening and get it resolved.

For anyone experiencing these issues that is willing to help out... Can you please provide us the following info. This would help us to dig down the issue in more detail:

* URL of the page with the problem

* Description of the problem

- Does the video load?

- Does the video stop playing?

- Do you see an error message?

* Screenshot of the error message

* Name and version of the browser and operating system

* Time and date of the problem, with timezone

* IP range that reports the problem

* Results of http://redirector.googlevideo.com/report_mapping

* Right click the YouTube player, select Copy Debug Info and paste the results

To help us more, please capture a web session that shows the problem:

1. Start Google Chrome
  2. Open a new Incognito window
  3. Click the Chrome menu (3 bars), and select More Tools, Developer Tools
  4. Select the Network tab
  5. Play the video until you see the problem
  6. Right click the bottom half of the Network panel, and select Save as HAR with Content
  7. Zip and send the file to us

If you know how to use tcpdump or wireshark, you can capture all the network packets of the web session:

- DNS (port 53)

- HTTP (port 80)

- HTTPS (port 443)

IMPORTANT: A packet capture may include network traffic outside of the web session, including your private information. Please do not send this capture to us, unless you understand the technical and privacy implications of revealing your network traffic to a 3rd party.

Please do not post any captures on the public forum; send me a private message instead.

In the mean time we are continuing to work with Google.

Thanks,

RogersSergio

I was working with Thomas@rogershelp. Once we started troubleshooting the issue, everything was working perfectly. I was consistently getting 50+ Mbps watching youtube. 4k was no issue.

As of last week, all of that has changed and performance is as bad as ever. I'm getting less than 10mbps, any time of day. Now Thomas@rogershelp is not replying to my emails, with no solutions in site. Please help. E3 is coming up and Sony will be producing lots of 4k content, that I won't be able to enjoy

@Amdfantoronto are you using wifi or ethernet for the tv to modem connection?  I know that there are issues with CDNs that are accessed via the Rogers network, but, just wondering about the wifi status which can instantly change if one of your neighbours wifi routers changes its operating channels.

Amdfantoronto
I plan to stick around

The issue is not due to my local network. Asking about wifi only adds noise to the real issue at hand. The cdn is the problem. Issue is experienced wired or wireless. 

The slow speeds are highly dependent on the video too. Some 4k videos I can still get 50+ Mbps. The irony is that for my primary viewing, game content, the issue is the worst. Just try streaming the new Tetris Effect - announce trailer. It starts at 20mbps and quickly drops to less than 10mbps

xuelide
I plan to stick around

I have the exact same issue here. 

I am using 1Gbps Rogers Cable now.

I used to have around 200Mbps-300Mbps Connection Speed on Youtube.

I now only get 1-10Mbps!!!( for almost 1month)

I tried to block the rogers cache server on IPV4 and IPV6, and connect to the youtube server directly, it helps just a little or you can say no help at all.

Any other site just works fine for me, I can download files from other sites at 100MB/S when youtube gots 1Mbps Connection Speed.

I have lots of friends using other IPS, and none of them experience this issue as I do. So, it is not Youtube side's fault.

Hope I can get some useful advice from Rogers soon. 

test6666
I plan to stick around

Hello,

issue still there.. can’t play any 4K YouTube. Over 6 months and Rogers couldn’t figure it out? At least can u tell me if it’s only 500 and 1gig? I don’t recall having this issue on 150.

thanks,

xuelide
I plan to stick around

Gig or 500 plan does not matter.

I am using 1 gig plan now, and the speed of youtube is only 1mbps to 10mbps 95% of the time.

But as I use a proxy, the problem is gone.

so it is definitely something about CDN issues there.

Rogers does not have any response about it for long long time already.

test6666
I plan to stick around
Thanks. What proxy do u use? That would do it.

I was wondering is u150 has the problem, if not, I would downgrade from 500 to 150! Sad @rogers that I have to downgrade service to get youtube to work!

xuelide
I plan to stick around

I am using Chrome+ SwitchyOmega

create a profile which put the traffic to proxy only when we access *.googlevideo.com

you can find the proxy from (Link removed for security reasons - RogersMoin)

most of top speed IP can bring you 30-50Mbps youtube speed. 

test6666
I plan to stick around

Thanks, will try. I will try to see if I can configure on Roku.

quantum
I've been here awhile

I'm currently experiencing this issue and it's pretty frustrating considering I have 500u.

Youtube nerd stats show connection speed capping at around 9000kbps

xuelide
I plan to stick around
using proxy is only way now.

quantum
I've been here awhile

I'm watching on LG Smart TV youtube app so using a proxy is unfortunately not an option.