cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

roofed
I plan to stick around

So For the Past Few Days I have Noticed Youtube Is not watchable i did some testing and nothing points to my connection having a problem this all points to youtube/rogers CDN servers failing as some "Stream Host" seem to be working but almost all of them dont. This problem is on browsers as for trying this on mobile android youtube app 720p60 seems to hold a stable 13mbps while on pc 1080p60 seems to start @ 50000kbps to a min 1000kbps. My internet speed is fine line quality is good while doing the test i had twitch.tv streams running on source no drops nothing in bandwidth flow same for downloading tested on multiple browsers Firefox| Chrome

Below is a gif showing what happens Notice how the "stream host" changes and bandwidth begins to drop

https://gfycat.com/GrimyGiddyKagu

***Edited Labels***

320 REPLIES 320

Re: Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

Sounds like it may be a routing issue to that specific server. (or well the specific CDN for that server its choosing)

Would really need to do some research and check the trace routes between you and that server.. and see where the issue is stemming from.  As it might fall at a node outside of the rogers network.

Amdfantoronto
I plan to stick around

I have traced it to local Toronto host servers, which are providing very low speeds. I have opened a ticket last night to see if there will be any resolution.

Hi @Amdfantoronto,

As a fellow 4k streamer, I feel your pain.  I'm hopeful we are able to find a solution for you.

Please keep us posted on the status of your ticket.

RogersShaun

Amdfantoronto
I plan to stick around

There has been no resolution, and the last agent assisting me suggested i have a virus.... For now i have continued to redirect a list of domains that consistently provide speeds less than 20mbps.  Tech support advised if the device i am using is not a PC then it is the onus is on the device manufacturer to provide support for my slow speed. After confirming it is a routing issue from Rogers host servers, the agent dismissed me and stated they are not Rogers servers.... I am sure its simply a routing issue that can be corrected, as this issue affects 4k videos primarily. Sorry everyone, i tried.

as a heads up, the most common and slowest domain is r3.sn-gvbxgn-tt1e.gvt1.com which can be blocked using a service like opendns. Once again, this is not an ideal solution as the videos will start at 360p then buffer up, due to the lag introduced from redirecting the host server. But for longer videos (10 min plus) this is the only solution to avoid videos dropping to 720p and back up to 4k, and buffering mid-video. This method finally lets my Rogers connection work at capacity and really fly. 

Its really unfortunate, as my Rogers internet is extremely reliable and fast otherwise. The pain of being an early adopter lol.

j2pc
I plan to stick around

Throttling Youtube

Watching Youtube at only 1080P it is giving me constant buffering, so just to test I connected with my VPN provider and reloaded same link, set to same quality and its perfectly smooth and no buffering problem. To test again i switch off VPN and reload same quality and back to buffering.

It doesn't happen all the time but I feel like I am experiencing it more now (maybe a few times a month). Can someone explain why this is happening and to note I have had rogers on the same internet 100down/10up for a few years now. Also it seems it does not affect any other service as far as I can tell such as Steam which can download at full speeds.

Hello, @j2pc

Thank you for posting your observation in the Community. It's surely not a pleasant experience when only YouTube videos are buffering. I appreciate the troubleshooting done to isolate the issue. Is the buffering happening only during certain hours?

Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps so that we can submit a ticket for this issue. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog

Cheers,

RogersMoin

j2pc
I plan to stick around

It seems to be at random times, for example yesterday(Sunday) it was at around 4PM and just now(Monday) it is happening at 7PM.

I will also send a PM to @CommunityHelps as well.

X-Nemesis
I plan to stick around

Youtube is buffering and unwatchable.

I tried changing my DNS servers to Google's and OpenDNS but the problem still persists.
Is there a fix for this as I didn't ever have this problem when I was with an Independent on their 75/10 connection.

X-Nemesis
I plan to stick around

A Rogers tech is showing up on Tuesday so we'll see what goes down. My guess is he/she will come, say everything is fine and leave. And potentially bill me even though I was told it would not cost me anything.

alloverthemapMG
I plan to stick around
Hey there

Whatever was the end result? I've been keeping an eye on this thread as I am experiencing similar issues.

I am on the Gigabit plan and Youtube is almost unwatchable.

No problem with my previous ISP (FTTN 50/10)

There is clearly throttling on my Smart TV youtube app, and my ps4 pro youtube app. I can watch the same video on my macbook without issue - hitting 60+ mbps from my browser. Through my youtube apps speeds are under 10mbps on the weekends and evenings

As a tip, try Google's real speed test, not ooklas. Its quite telling that i am getting 10-12mpbs download via google's, but 200+ mbps on Ookla speedtest

I am getting to the point of ditching Rogers and going back to my old ISP.

Only reason I came to Rogers is because of a good deal they gave me for their Gigabit internet.  Doesn't matter if I can't watch Youtube.

My download speeds are fine any time during the day/evening so I know its not speed.  Like you mentioned they are perhaps throttling Youtube traffic from certain devices?

test6666
I plan to stick around

Hi, 

re r3.sn-gvbxgn-tt1e.gvt1.com and blocking it. Instead of blocking, if you have dnsmasq on your router, just re-direct this host to another one that is faster, not sure if that will work better.

what is a good one? is r2 better?

Thanks,

alloverthemapMG
I plan to stick around

I am using the Rogers provided modem..

Requested to have the firmware updated and finally got it this morning.

So I will test it later when I get home from work.

Thanks for the info!

X-Nemesis
I plan to stick around

What firmware are you all requesting?

alloverthemapMG
I plan to stick around

I've requested version 33T3

I will test it tonight after work.

X-Nemesis
I plan to stick around

@alloverthemapMGwrote:

I've requested version 33T3

I will test it tonight after work.

Where do you make the request?  On the Facebag, Twitter?

Hey @X-Nemesis,

Please follow the instructions on the first post, on our Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial thread in order to enlist in our firmware trials.

Cheers, 

RogersCilio

Amdfantoronto
I plan to stick around
Just setup a chromecast ultra and youtube is being throttled on this device too. I can watch the same video on my macbook pro or nexus 6p smartphone at 60mbps no problem. But the chromecast is being throttled to 5mbps from the afternoon to early morning. On ignite 250. I have had a tech on site and reported this to Rogers tech support more than 10 times. All they do is ask me to run speedtest, and if that checks ok they will not help. Gonna have to cancel my service and go DSL. Constant throttling on youtube is unacceptable

@Amdfantoronto does the Chromecast Ultra ever run at a higher rate?  I'm wondering if this is a network issue specifically with the Chromecast Ultra.  Are you running IPV6 on the modem and have you tried disabling IPV6 to determine if that makes any difference? 

Amdfantoronto
I plan to stick around
Yes it was running at over 100mbps this morning at 11am-1pm. I've also tried disabling ipv6. No difference. The speeds are being limited to 1080p level bandwidth.