cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

roofed
I plan to stick around

So For the Past Few Days I have Noticed Youtube Is not watchable i did some testing and nothing points to my connection having a problem this all points to youtube/rogers CDN servers failing as some "Stream Host" seem to be working but almost all of them dont. This problem is on browsers as for trying this on mobile android youtube app 720p60 seems to hold a stable 13mbps while on pc 1080p60 seems to start @ 50000kbps to a min 1000kbps. My internet speed is fine line quality is good while doing the test i had twitch.tv streams running on source no drops nothing in bandwidth flow same for downloading tested on multiple browsers Firefox| Chrome

Below is a gif showing what happens Notice how the "stream host" changes and bandwidth begins to drop

https://gfycat.com/GrimyGiddyKagu

***Edited Labels***

320 REPLIES 320

Re: Youtube Download Slowing Down Causing Buffer possible CDN issue

RogersZia

Hi @roofed,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post.

We haven't been notified of any such on going issue. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Is anyone else in the Community experiencing something similar?

@Datalink@Gdkitty would you guys like to chime in?

RogersZia

Skywalkerblue06
I'm here a lot

I am also having same issue with youtube slowing down its keep buffering after 10-20sec 

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

I am having the same issue since wednesday.

roofed
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the reply glad to see i'm not the only one having this problem. It seems manny cdn's are having this problem This one being one of the worst almost all cdn's do not hold a steddy speed they use to all hit 70000kbps and hold a steady bandwidth flow now the max i have seen is around 40000kbps maybe 50000kbps this is bad because when switching to 4k the bandwidth does not increase resulting in lots of buffering Smiley Sad

r3---sn-vgqs7nlk - Very inconsistent speeds

r5---sn-vgqs7ney - speed will drop

r4---sn-vgqsrn7l - Very inconsistent speeds

r5---sn-vgqsrn7l - Very inconsistent speeds

ill try to collect more

Good morning @roofed,

Are you still experiencing this buffering issue on YouTube? Please let us know.

RogersCorey

roofed
I plan to stick around

@RogersCoreyYes this problem is still persistent its seems to be when during the youtube video the stream host will switch to the second one which then the speed begins to drop around 1000Kbps and begin to bounce. This is done on 30min or 1hr videos

Perhaps could this be a firmware issue i noticed when i pluged in the modem for the first time it took a few times to optimize it self to stream videos but then it worked months later it began to do this again. keepin mind this only happens on youtube Desktop Tested on HD 1080p & 4k 2160p modem firmware version is 4.2.4.7 model: CGn3-Rog I use to have Cgn3acsmr but one day the thing just stoped working then i got this one. But i need confirmation on whats happening here as for everyother service is working fine speed dl: 134.0Mbps up:11.4Mbps consistent only youtube has this problem.

@roofed

I don't often watch videos that are longer than 30 mins on YouTube so I haven't noticed this behaviour on my home connection.

I'm going to assume based upon that speedtest that you have the Ignite 100U plan? Are you live streaming video to YouTube here or simply watching? Have you tested YouTube on any other devices in the home to ensure the issue isn't localized to a single device?

I wouldn't suspect a firmware issue in this case because this thread is the first time I'm seeing this issue reported. Were it a firmware fault, I would suspect we'd have more reports from other customers. Since it only seems to impact YouTube, it's also possible this is an issue on their end. 

RogersCorey

roofed
I plan to stick around

@RogersCoreyYes i have 100u I have tesed on my tablet with 1080p same thing happens but if i use the youtube app 720p60 the speed is consistent around 13.4Mbps lowest 10.5Mbps but will stay stable around that while on the website it will drop to around 4000Kbps and lower now even at the start of the video the speed is not consistent like where it use to be around 60000Kbps steady it now hits around 20Mbps or 30Mbps sometimes 40Mbps or 50Mbps then when it switches to second stream host it begins to drop to around 7Mbps and 4Mbps then at one point 1Mbps which causes buffer You need to be doing this on at least 30min or 1hr videos in order to see this.

Yes i'm wondering that to but does rogers not use cache servers for youtube to save latency? if not then this would have to be a youtube issue maybe try with your own connection and see if you can stream a 4k 2160p video what max speed does it hit and is it stable you can do the same for 1080p60

here is a 1080p60 1hr video to test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSKczA4h1c4

here is a 4k 2160p60 3hr video run it 4k: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r34f31sU3w4

the 4k video 4:28mins in speed droped to 3Mbps to 4Mbps resulting to buffering and not watchable

see what speed you get and are they stable as in they stayed 10Mbps and not 10-20-30-10-12-7-5-10 etc...

@roofed

I'd like to run some tests on your connection to make sure there isn't an issue on our end.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps so that I may further assist.

Thanks!

RogersCorey

roofed
I plan to stick around

Ok sent.

mikem0278
I've been around

Has this been resolved? 

I've been experiencing the same issues - running the 250 ignite here, and every 10-30 seconds my video is buffering on youtube.

I'd like to know if you've resolved this issue.

Thanks!

roofed
I plan to stick around

@mikem0278@RogersCoreyAs of today i have switched to the CGN3ACSMR So Far From what i have tested  the speed seems stable tested on 1hr long 1080p60 no buffer stream host seems to stay stable and not switch constant "on 1hr 1080p60 video the stream host did not change :D" so if you have the cgn3-ROG "what i had affter i had to exchange my dead CNG3ACSMR yes its my second one" you may want to exchange it for the newer models as somthing weird happens with these models.

Keepin mind only youtube was having this issue The modem performed perfect for everything else twitch,netflix even youtube mobile worked better for some reason downloading worked fine and ping was good.

roofed
I plan to stick around

@RogersCorey do you need somthing? you can mark this as solved as i no longer have the problem.

mau108
I've been here awhile

Hello there, I am experiencing the same issue.  At certain times of the day Youtube buffering issue.  I have a 100mb connection with the CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode (turned off routing) and a NetGear R7000 router.  

Haven't had any issues with Youtube in the past however recently within the past 2 weeks I have been having videos constantly buffer around this time (after 6 PM EST).  Running a speedtest shows my connection speed and pings are perfect.  Downloading or streaming from other services have no issues except Youtube.  This leads me to believe there may be an issue with the Youtube relay/cache servers hosted by Rogers? 

@mau108, interesting that you should ask that question.  Have a look at the bottom posts on this DSLReports page to see if they are of any assistance:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31286718-Internet-Youtube-slow-loading-videos

AccordXTC
I'm a reliable contributor

I will add to this I as well have this issue. I haven't bothered with complaining as I have the Gigabit package and am plauged with the CODA modem, figured this was because of that. 

When I do a speed test over WiFi 5Ghz network with my Asus RT-AC88U router, I get between 400 - 500mbps for the speed. Yet watching YouTube videos will always start playing at a lower resolution or buffer.

This is being played on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge over 5Ghz AC WiFi netwok, router is running newest firmware and all wired up with Cat6a. Rogers CODA is running .24 firmware and IPv6 is enabled

ghost1001
I plan to stick around

I've been having this problem too for the past couple of weeks.

Sometimes its fine, sometimes its not. I find it's worse when doing anything over 1080p, which is ridiculous because gigabit should be more than sufficient for 1440p/4k youtube streaming.

Amdfantoronto
I plan to stick around

I am unable to watch 4k videos from YouTube when coming from a specific host. The host speed slowly drops then stays at low 5-12mbps. I am unable to consistently view 4k youtube videos from my smart tv. This is like an alternative format of throttling. Like we're being switched to a cdn that is slow to artificially cap the speed. I have had this problem for nearly 2 years without resolution. I am using ignite 250/20. This is very disappointing.

The host servers that include sn-gvbxgn are the issue. Confirmed on my end

@Amdfantoronto wrote:

I am unable to watch 4k videos from YouTube when coming from a specific host. The host speed slowly drops then stays at low 5-12mbps. I am unable to consistently view 4k youtube videos from my smart tv. This is like an alternative format of throttling. Like we're being switched to a cdn that is slow to artificially cap the speed. I have had this problem for nearly 2 years without resolution. I am using ignite 250/20. This is very disappointing.

The host servers that include sn-gvbxgn are the issue. Confirmed on my end

@Amdfantoronto

Try using a different DNS provider and see if things change. You can try Open DNS or Google DNS 

Amdfantoronto
I plan to stick around

Already tried that. I'm using opendns to block the domains that include 

"sn-gvbxgn" to simply avoid the slow/throttled servers. The only issue now is every video loads at 360p then scales up to 4k within 30 seconds, but at least maintains 4k. Whereas before videos would start at 4k then drop to 1080p or buffer when not blocking the domains. Pick your poison. Both options are terrible.