You must update your Rogers email account settings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnneSimcoe
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: You must update your Rogers email account settings

Well, hopefully that cutoff day will not come any time soon since I cannot access the Rogers Member Centre to create the app.  I have asked Rogers to help but no response.  I can access my email no problem, but I can not generate the required app.

I have tried several times.  When I click on my account, I get to the Rogers Member Centre, but when I get the Welcome screen to manage my email account and try to log in with my rogers email and password, I get the following message:  "We are sorry but the system is not available."  So I am at a loss.  Maybe I should just stop using Rogers email and start using my Gmail instead.  Unfortunate.

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@AnneSimcoe wrote:

When I click on my account, I get to the Rogers Member Centre, but when I get the Welcome screen to manage my email account and try to log in with my rogers email and password, I get the following message:  "We are sorry but the system is not available."  

Anne,

From the Welcome Screen you should be able to get in.  It hangs up often especially if you have ADD BLOCKERS with your Chrome or Edge Browser. I open with Firefox without any add-ins or blockers when this happens.  I have complained that I can't read MY BILL  with the ADD BLOCKER 

Member Centre Welcome Screen.png

PerryCS
I've Been Here Awhile

APPS can be compromised.  This is the way all email clients are going.  Google has already done it years ago but has a method to "Allow Less Secure Apps" so you don't need to do this.

The reason it's more secure is because in the APP you do NOT need to use your ACCOUNT password.  You go into the Rogers Membership Page, create a new APP password, and paste that into the APP INSTEAD of your normal password.

If you lose your device, or sell it and forget to remove the password... that person has access to your emails.  All you have to do is go into your Rogers Membership page, delete the APP password, and voila...  that device no longer can check your new emails.

I have setup for many customers...

Outlook - (generate password).

iPad - (generate password).

S6 - Edge - (generate password).

Then if someone has their iPad stolen then just go into the Rogers Membership area and delete the iPad password.  It leaves ALL the other devices, account login, etc alone.

It really is a better system for security.

The problem right now... it doesn't always work.  Rogers is splitting from Yahoo and right now the mail system is a mess.  Wait times on the phone over 2 hours yesterday.

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

I got through in about 5 minutes.   Unfortunately my mail problem was not, as I thought with the App password (on Safari) but... long story short a router issue.   Of course (partly my fault) I told them I was using iPad and when the transferred me to "tech support for the device" it was "cellular" not "internet" and so it took half an hour to figure out the problem.

Im Ok with App passwords as such (although in the, presumably rare, scenario quoted its not hard to go to web mail and change the user password(s).   What does annoy me is that, in the case of Outlook anyway, one is more or less forced to use the "remember password" feature, and so, in effect one loses the user password.   I guess thats a MS issue in not providing for two passwords.

I also note that since this has gone live, iMail very often has a couple of seconds of "server not responding" (I forget the exact wording), presumably the authentication server not the mail server as I never had this before.

I guess Im sceptical as to how much actual additional security i afforded by this in practice as opposed to in theory.  

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

The current email problems have nothing to do with this.  The SMTP server is currently down and has been all day.  It's been flaky (pardon the technical jargon <g>) since some time on Sunday.

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

Then Id say its been very slightly flakey for a few weeks.  

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

@RichardF wrote:

Then Id say its been very slightly flakey for a few weeks.  

Yeah, well it is Yahoo.  What did you expect?

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@JKnott wrote:

The current email problems have nothing to do with this.  The SMTP server is currently down and has been all day.  It's been flaky (pardon the technical jargon <g>) since some time on Sunday.

One of the problems I commented upon in another thread after I "updated my app password" was that the email imap or smtp servers quite often lost their connection or the folders would not synchronize.  The internet connection to Google etc. worked but you just could not send and the clients were not aware thinking it was other problems.

One of the symptoms of the dropped connection will be these messages when you try to send an email.

I guess the "flaky" connection issue persists.  I think it will be highly unlikely that this problem will be fixed through Rogers. 

Rogers Sent Server.png

enter email pwd.png

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

Rogers Hijacking

Whenever I sign out of my email, I find that my page is being hijacked by this page. 

https://rogersmembercentre.com/rmcapp/remc.html#/signin

A message at the top says the following: A new and easy way to access your Rogers Yahoo email account. Please login with your @rogers.com or @nl.rogers.com email address and password. Using my email address and password does not take me to my webmail. It is absolutely useless.

I also have this page set up on my personalized Yahoo home page.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/weather

When I go there and click on the link to "Manage locations", I am once again hijacked by rogers to this page.

What gives rogers? I have no interest in signing in here!

Why am I being hijacked?

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

@PerryCS wrote:

APPS can be compromised.  This is the way all email clients are going.  Google has already done it years ago but has a method to "Allow Less Secure Apps" so you don't need to do this.

The problem right now... it doesn't always work.  Rogers is splitting from Yahoo and right now the mail system is a mess.  Wait times on the phone over 2 hours yesterday.

OAUTH2 also works properly with Google.  It doesn't with Yahoo.  I'll be glad when we leave Yahoo, as their service has other problems.