You must update your Rogers email account settings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: You must update your Rogers email account settings

Which of course begs the question as to why such a major mail client is not "secure".  Or, rather, begs the question of whether this is the best route.  MS obviously has a different view.

It would of course be utter cynicism to suspect any one of trying to freeze out rival mail apps or anything like that? 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@RichardF wrote:

It would of course be utter cynicism to suspect any one of trying to freeze out rival mail apps or anything like that? 

Skepticism or Cynicism? Just like the Dropbox privacy controversy with Condoleezza Rice on its board.  With 275 million users you wonder who stirs up the controvesy to drop Dropbox.  Aaron Levie's Box.com, Apple's iCloud, Microsoft's OneDrive, Privately owned SpiderOak or Google Drive. Some say Dropbox is an NSA company with their DbxSvc.exe constantly checking your PC.   Who knows eh? Smiley Wink   

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I got yet another e-mail today from Rogers today saying:

"Action required: Deadline approaching | Mesure à prendre : Date limite imminente"

It included a dead link as follows:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/update-email-settings

C'mon Rogers, at least check your e-mails before sending them!

Edit - Looks like Rogers fixed the dead link above.  Thanks.  (it used to go to "did you find what you were looking for", which still flashes on the screen, but it looks like now it forwards to the correct page)

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RichardF  Just to clarify what I found on Microsoft's actions around OAuth(2) support, which Yahoo is now requiring.

For microsoft mail, they have updated it for Yahoo only, by adding the option to set up a Yahoo account rather than a pop or smtp account which then gives you the automated set up we find on our phones.  They released this on the Windows 10 creator version - not all will have it.

They have also updated the protocols in their 2017 version of Office 365 and outlook.com access with a new API set, but it doesn't appear they are doing anything with their 2013 and 2016 Outlook software on the desktop.

So we are left with the workaround.  Maybe it will show on the next desktop version.  I would give you links, but I will leave you to find them on Google as there are many statements out there, and much are very technical about the underlying coding and access to API's.  The one link I provide will clarify Mail change over, and the same thing applies to Outlook.com accounts, and the 2017 version of Office 365.

All older ones are not supported.

Microsoft Outlook, was only supported as of the 2017 version, and they do not intend to update older version (yeh, I know 2016 is not old in the big picture).

Now is there some nefarious reason why they delayed updating, or refusing that means that their software will lean towards their own Outlook live accounts, well if I owned the company, I would spend the money on new version as they come out as you are rewriting at that point, but I am not sure I would spend the money to patch older versions, when there is a workaround to make it work that Yahoo implemented.

Same as Rogers does not support Thunderbird, Pegasus and other apps - although the process is the same, and Thunderbird and Pegasus say to update to the current versions of their apps (remember these two are open source - so there is an army of people who will take it on).

Why does Rogers not support their older apps (at some point they don't want to spend money on it and they are in the business of selling new versions of Outlook and Office apps on subscription every year now, and they do sell stand alone versions too.  Money makes our world go round unfortunately.

For the new version of Windows Mail on latest creator version of Windows

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-email-in-Mail-for-Windows-10-7ff79e8b-439b-4b47-8ff9...

And for Outlook

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@BS wrote:
Same as Rogers does not support Thunderbird, Pegasus and other apps - although the process is the same, and Thunderbird and Pegasus say to update to the current versions of their apps (remember these two are open source - so there is an army of people who will take it on).

Thunderbird supports OAuth2 on GMail, but not Yahoo.  Why the difference?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

All my email accounts are sent to my gmail account via POP.  I then access my gmail account on my computer,  ipad and phone from there.  Do I need to deal with the new account settings?  I already have dual activation on the gmail account.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Freddie55

There was some reported issues with emails not being forwarded during the change, and I had to deal with it, but it seems to have been cleaned up.

I am guessing that you are still getting your mail in gmail as you have before all this started.

So no, you should not have to deal with the new settings at all.  But gang up on me if I turn out to be wrong, we are talking about Rogers Yahoo mail here and there has been no shortage of issues arise with this change over. Smiley Happy

Bruce

Highlighted

Rogers SUBSCRIBED folders slow to synchronize using Outlook 2016

@RogersRoland

Ever since changing to the 16 character Application Password for Outlook (2016) it takes forever for the IMAP subscribed folders to synchronize.  Any ideas why this has happened?

I followed the Steps shown for Outlook 2016 to use the App password: 

How-To-Updating-your-Rogers-Yahoo-Email-Settings

Here is what the Outlook Send/Receive Progress box looks like nearly all the time now.  

Should I archive all my emails to my PC and delete them on the server?  I don't remember this ever happening in the last few years using Outlook for Rogers/Yahoo email.

Synchronizing subscribed folders.png Synchro subscribed Rogers folders.png

Highlighted

Hello @User14,

Having to wait such a long time to sync your emails can get really annoying after a while. Especially if it's happening every time you load up your email client.

The changes that were made should not be affecting the time it takes for outlook to sync your emails. Do you use any other devices or email clients say on a Smartphone or Tablet? Do you notice sluggishness there as well or is it only in Outlook 2016 on one specific device that you've noticed it thus far? 

It may be a good idea to delete the email profile on Outlook and set it back up again from scratch to see if that helps speed up the syncing process.

I have not come across this issue before but if there are others in the community that are experiencing similar issues please feel free to chime in.

Some of the Resident Experts @Gdkitty@Datalink@gp-se may also be able to shine some light on this issue.

Regards,

RogersTony 

Highlighted

The changes that were made should not be affecting the time it takes for outlook to sync your emails.

-  I agree. The NEW app server password should not affect the synchronization, but it only appeared to start after I made the changes for the 16 character App password.

Do you use any other devices or email clients say on a Smartphone or Tablet?

- Yes  an iPhone and an iPad.   Both synchronize with the server quickly. 

Do you notice sluggishness there as well or is it only in Outlook 2016 on one specific device that you've noticed it thus far?  

- Only on the PC for the Rogers Account where I changed from my OLD password to the NEW Application Password as requested. Other Outlook Accounts on my PC have no problems synchronizing from what I can see.

It may be a good idea to delete the email profile on Outlook and set it back up again from scratch to see if that helps speed up the syncing process.

- See below

I first set up a new *.pst account and moved the emails I had on the *.ost account to the .pst account.  Note that the INBOX emails from the *.ost file did *NOT* transfer to the *.pst file, but the emails from the other folders did. FWIW. That wasn't a problem for me as I rarely use my Rogers email, but I would recommend just deleting the Outlook Rogers email account so that the original emails remain on the server.

My second step was to delete the offending Outlook Rogers IMAP email account.  I then added it back as a NEW Outlook Rogers IMAP account.  I tried using the NEW Application Password for the incoming and outgoing servers during the set up, but it was rejected/refused.  I had to use my OLD password to finalize the NEW account creation. 

In doing the NEW set up,  the outgoing server field also showed  smtp.mail.yahoo.com  as the default but I changed it to smtp.broadband.rogers.com which may not be right.  This may be what caused the issue, but currently all IMAP Folders are synchronizing and not hanging up for the 10-20 minutes as before. I will let it run for a few days as I don't use Rogers email on a regular basis because of these issues and problems.