You must update your Rogers email account settings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: You must update your Rogers email account settings

A date or final notice would be appropriate and appreciated.
I'm Here A Lot

App password for secondary email address ... 

Anyone know how to create an 'app' / email password for a secondary email address I own ? 

I was able to create the app password for the primary address - no problem. 

The secondary address is giving me the run-around ... 

I had Rogers Tech support tell me to login to https://rogersmembercentre or some such with the secondary account and perform the same steps as I did for the primary account - but that's a no-go, as the login fails - i don't think secondary email accounts have access to rogersmembercentre - only primary (?) 

I'm a Senior Advisor

I was able to deal with secondary accounts ok.

You should be able to access the member centre for each email, whether primary or secondary by logging in with the email address when accessing the member centre and use your regular password.

If you can log into your email with the username and password, that same set should (and I say should, in terms, that just because it should doesn't mean it does - if isn't working for you, should doesn't matter, if you can't).

If you have forgotten your password, you can request to set a new one, and then maybe that will work.

If I were in your place, I would try to log in to email, if it rejects your password, then get a new one and that technically "should" allow you into the member centre.  If you can get in with the existing password, then I can't see what would restrict you from getting into the member centre.

So in summary, I was able to do the work with every account we have (three of them), and I tested them all on clients not fully supported, both the described ones, and things like Pegasus and Thunderbird and had no problems.

So, try again, contact support, describe and confirm every step with them as you go along and if it fails, request they escalate - may be related to your own service accounts, or just a bug that is coming up for a few and remains unknown how to go forward.

Hope you get some success moving forward.

Oh why oh why did I have to learn so much about this - couldn't they have automated this somehow.  Yes they could, all of the routines we are using could have been scripted and tested thoroughly in a wide range of situations.

But they chose not to, so we plug along, once again we function as the testers of the live versions and it hasn't even been fully turned on, so let's hope it all works properly in the end.

Keep trying, technically you can do it, but Rogers also decided to layer their own model over the Yahoo chosen model, so it adds complexities that Yahoo can't support us with and as Yahoo makes changes, as they may with their own implementations, Rogers will have to then implement them too on their side.

Good luck

Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

@cvanderkolff wrote:

App password for secondary email address ... 

Anyone know how to create an 'app' / email password for a secondary email address I own ? 

I was able to create the app password for the primary address - no problem. 

The secondary address is giving me the run-around ... 

I had Rogers Tech support tell me to login to https://rogersmembercentre or some such with the secondary account and perform the same steps as I did for the primary account - but that's a no-go, as the login fails - i don't think secondary email accounts have access to rogersmembercentre - only primary (?) 

Secondary accounts do have access to the member centre but there is a known issue with some logins failing. Don't worry about it too much at the moment. Just call tech support and have yourself added to the open ticket. You will be notified when it is fixed and you can continue after that. We still don't have a date as to when the app passwords will be mandatory.

Brian

I'm Here A Lot

OK - Thanks to all who replied - I'm OK now .... I was able to login with the secondary account and generate the 'app' password.

I think there were a couple issues occurring last night that prevented me from accessing/logging on to the membercentre website - I was using 'chat' support - and the tech on chat said their systems were down and I would need to call in blah-blah-blah ... 

So - I checked this AM, logged in , generated the APP password  and all is good (thank God no more of that webmail interface !)

Chris 

I Plan to Stick Around

I usually use live mail on  my laptop so i update one of my rogers email accounts for live mail and get the app password and plug it into windows live mail. all works correctly in windows live mail. so I check out accessing  the account from the web. guess what !!! now I have two passwords to access my email account, the new app one in windows live mail, which doesn't work on the web. for that one I have to use my old password.  thats real progress!!!

Wonder what password I need to use when I acccess the account from my ipads, or from my smartphones, never mind I figure it out! I only have 7 rogers email accounts so no problems remembering which ones to use on which devices. Thanks Rogers for this enhancement. I won't be changing to any more app passwords soon you can be certain!!

I'm a Senior Advisor

As a final note, in terms of changing app passkeys, you would only do that if you thought that your computer had been compromised, that locks out that access.

Rogers hasn't said anything at this point, but Yahoo is implementing on their own email accounts that there may be occasional requests to change to application passkey.  Hopefully Rogers does not force this one.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I keep getting notices to enter my password on both my laptop and iPhone ! This is after I have updated to the App specific passwords.  I just ignore the notice.  I still get my emails, but it is frustrating to get the notices. Whats going on ?

I've Been Around

Amur yes it applies to Thunderbird also.  I was on with tech support and they gave no instructions how to do as it isn't on the list.  If you have more than one email address from Rogers you are using you have to do this to each email.

I went into Thunderbird and deleted all SAVED passwords and closed it up
I went to the link below
https://rogersmembercentre.com/rmcapp/remc.html#/signin
Signed in the with the email address I'm creating it for
At top right click on Account Information
Then on to Authorized Apps
Put a name for my password and clicked Generate
I then copied that and put it into a word document (I had several emails to do)

I then opened up Thunderbird went to write an e-mail to this address and it popped up to enter password
I copied and pasted it into the space and it sent
I can't remember exactly but then when I went to receive it I believe it asked for it again so I pasted it again

Hope this helps

IMPORTANT NOTE:   If you login from the WEB if away from home, on vacay etc.... then you are still logging in with your OLD password 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

Another annoying Roger's Email thing.   To be fair it may not be Roger's fault I suppose, could be the underlying Yahoo...but it did work ok this morning.

We use Thunderbird with POP. This afternoon when trying to get ones mail T'bird popped up a message saying that the mail system no longer supported something ( pop up disappears of course) and go and correct your mail settings.

The thing that had to be corrected, turned off was the setting 'Leave mail on the Server '     We do that as we use different devices to get mail.   

Some will say, Why not move to IMAP and all these problems go away.  T'bird  is not good at changing a given mail system between the two protocols.