You must update your Rogers email account settings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: You must update your Rogers email account settings

Not to rain on anybody's parade but...all we know is that Rogers wants us to change the password now.

As people say that "this works" or "that works" that may not be the case.

Right now any password will work.

We won't know anything until Rogers actually impliments the new system.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you, Bruce for the detailed reply.  One thing I forgot to mention, is that I have Live Mail set up to use a POP3 server.  Could this be part of the problem?  I have seen some comments suggesting that Rogers requires an IMAP setup, but when I originally set up Live Mail, the instructions from Rogers only referred to the POP3 setup.

I haven't had a chance to try this again (in fact, I have been reluctant, because I don't want to lose access to my email on my primary computer.)

But I will try it again, and report back with the results.

Another question, and please excuse my ignorance, but does it matter what sort of a name you use in the "Name your password field?"  It only says to use "the name of the mail client it’s for," but if I create a separate passkey for each of two devices (both using Live Mail) I expect I would just try something like Livemail1 and Livemail2.  I am curious what sort of names you used in your tests.

Like others, I wish Rogers would give some indication of when it will be necessary to make the changes.

Regards,

Jack

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Pardon my ignorance but passkey = application password?

And we need a potentially unique app password for each computer / client / account.

And in Outlook the app password becomes "the " password i.e. Supplants the current user mail account password.

We are being more or less forced to use the Outlook "remember password" option.

And to change "the" password for an account means getting a new application password for the computer,, client, account in question.

And the same account will have different passwords in different computer / client combinations.

As an aside, I wonder how many people will write down the app password and keep it next to the computer or will cut n paste it into a notecard or some such on the computer.

Can someone please confirm.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Clarification on use across multiple devices  The key is "one time only" when tested on Yahoo account.

When I tried to access the account I set up for testing today for the Yahoo account, I got a message indicating that I was attempting to access the email with a previously used one time only passcode password (never know what to call this thing).

It wouldn't let me in, and directed me to the account settings to set a new "one time" passkey.

So since the Rogers system is laying on top of the Yahoo email system, once activated, I  would suspect that the passkey will be one time only for setting up a single device.

There is actually a message in the Yahoo help on this topic that recommends using a third party password application to protect security of your email on these older models.

Note:  the message did say that you will be occasionally sent a request to change your passkey.  One more layer of security, but Rogers doesn't mention this one, so don't know if it applies.

We will all understand better once they finally activate the model.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@CJ12  I used the name of my application and 1, 2, and what device I was on as I have many.

Don't think it matters.

I would suggest that people don't try to remember the passwords at all - but use user locking passwords, or third party password applications.  The intent of random passwords is to avoid creating things that people may figure out.

It is going to be a learning curve for sure.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks, Bruce.  Just curious if you had any thoughts on whether it matters if using POP3 or IMAP servers?

I didn't get a chance to try anything yesterday, but I hope to have the time to try it out today.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@CJ12 wrote:

Just curious if you had any thoughts on whether it matters if using POP3 or IMAP servers?

It shouldn't make any difference, as POP and IMAP are just different methods of retrieving mail.  However, as I understand it, Yahoo is deprecating POP and therefore not likely to use this with it.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@CJ12  I have everything on IMAP now since Yahoo reported that POP was deprecated at end of March.

But a clarification is needed.

I have been reading up on the POP issue with Yahoo mail on their help pages.  There are mixed messages going on there.

It appears that POP and IMAP are both active when from your email client, but older ones, you will need to set up passkeys, as Rogers is soon implementing.  

Where the POP issue comes into play (as I read it) is that you cannot import mail from another account using POP anymore example, if you wanted to have mail imported from a gmail account to Yahoo account.  POP is not available anymore for that purpose. You can still connect other accounts, but it will be an IMAP connection - probably to prevent malicious email on another server from being imported into Yahoo.

The regular POP settings still work for your email client on your computer, and the advantage for some people is that you have an archived set of all your email on your computer or storage devices - say if you want permanent copies after you move to another email server.

Confusing to say the least - there is a 12 page thread on it on the Yahoo help pages.

You can still import email from yahoo accounts to Gmail.

This is all related to Yahoo mail, not the Rogers version.

Rogers member page has added an account activity field, similiar to Yahoo accounts so you can see login activity, and you could delete access to a foreign device I would suspect.

So the Rogers Yahoo model is still a work in progress and again, we will see what comes when it gets turned on.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

When exactly does this take effect? I'm confused as heck and am afraid I will lose access to critical email access I use you work, banking, etc. I use Outlook on my Galaxy6 and Outlook 2007 on my computer.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

<p>I would like someone from Rogers involved in this roll-out to contact me.</p>