Xbox Live and SMCD3GN

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Xbox Live and SMCD3GN

We've upgraded to Ultimate a few months ago and have noticed that when we try to play Xbox Live! we are getting errors associated with a moderate NAT. Is there a way to open the NAT to correct these issues as it has been preventing us from playing several games online and note that we have several Xboxes on our network.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Xbox Live and SMCD3GN

You will have to log into the router portion of the SMC and change the port forwarding settings or the nat security level. Probably turning on 'upnp'.

Unfortunately I don't have the SMCD3GN so I can't provide step by step instructions..

But I would start by going to 192.168.1.1 and trying to log in. Then there should be a port forwarding section. It might not be as straight forward as you say there are multiple xboxes.

Previously did you have your own router? If so you could always start using it again and have the SMC turned into bridge mode by calling rogers tech support and asking them to turn it on. Then it would just ask as a modem and you can use your old router to route traffic.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Err the ip may be 192.168.0.1

I'm Here A Lot

Actually, The SMCD3GN provided by Rogers has several features restricted including NAT settings. May have the issue fixed as it includes a port Trigger to open the needed ports. Just have to wait until someone one My Friends list logs on, but it appears to be fixed.

I'm a Senior Contributor

You may wish to still check that the NAT is set to open as a moderate or restricted NAT could cause lag in online gaming.

So long as the settings on your console are correct and the NAT is open, you should be fine.
I'm Here A Lot

Just checked and it is now reading my NAT as open and aloowing me to connect to other people's games

I'm a Senior Contributor

Glad to hear it.

Let us know if you need any other help.
I Plan to Stick Around

The D3GN has an "enable UPNP" setting in the customer login. This must be enabled. Assuming this is the case, it should work fine.

Note that Modern Warfare 2 is hit and miss and Rogers and will be regardless of what modem you use. Rogers is incorrectly identifying MW2 packets as "P2P related" and throttling them. Nothing breaks if you simply join a game, but hosting one leads to most players in the game lagged to the point of dropping.

Rogers / Infinity Ward have both acknowledged the issue but it remains a problem.

I'm not sure about Black Ops - engine wise it has some lineage with the MW/MW2 games so it's possible it's similarly effected.
I'm Here A Lot

Got the issue fixed. UPNP was already enabled. In the end, used port triggering options.

I'm Here A Lot

I also upgraded to the SMCD3GN modem and got Rogers to disable the router function so I could use my own. My PS3 is on a DMZ and I'm still getting disconnected when I play online games. Should I just use port triggering instead of putting my PS3 on a DMZ?