cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB7 Port Forwarding

hp2212
I've Been Around

Hello,

I recently upgrade to ignite services.  With this upgrade my modem was change from a Hitron to and XB7.  In the settings of the Hitron I was able to forward public ports to private ports and I configured my network using these options.  Since the change I have been unable to get some functionalities working as I cannot locate the place where I can set these settings.  Does anyone know were I can make these adjustments in the XB7?

*Added Labels*

11 REPLIES 11

Re: XB7 Port Forwarding

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I will say instructions from using the app.. should be similar from the web interface.

On the front page, click on the name of your wifi.
Then at the top, click See network.
Then down near the bottom, click on Advanced Settings.

In there, you will find the Port Forwarding.

Now there are a few caveats here.. 
Its not as granular as I would like..
You can not choose the destination IP.  You have to choose the device.  So you need to find it off the list of connected devices.
You can choose the incoming ports (or port range), and if TCP/UDP, either or both.

Unfortunately it does not support choosing a dynamic internal port.
So you cant have external say port 999 go to 333 inside.
It will just forward 999 to 999 on the device you have selected.

Wolfgang5523
I've Been Here Awhile

I am using the xb7 modem and am trying to host a server (something I have done successfully many times over) and need to port forward... however since the implementation of the ignite app, ports are not getting forwarded. the ports are forwarded in the app under my computers address (10.0.0.173), iv even tried enabling DMZ but whenever I check my ports they are closed. This has been super frustrating iv called support and they say they don't offer port forwarding support, is there any solution or do I have to switch ISP's?

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

I have just migrated to Ignite and have set up the modem/gateway. I am running a server on a Raspberry pi and want to be able to connect to it from outside, so I have set up port forwarding in the gateway. Everything looks good in the IgniteWifi hub, correct IP address and port. I have disconnected my phone from the wifi and am using data from my phone provider to access the server, but it doesn't connect.

Any ideas?

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

Right, I can see that my access has been blocked by the Ignite Wifi Advanced Security. Presumably if I setup a port forward then that port should be exempt from the advanced security? I don't see a way of making that an exception. Or do I have to turn of Advanced Security altogether?

bg16
I've Been Around

i recently opened a port for a device with a static ip address on my router . the power went out for 2 hours and when it came back on the device ip address had changed. i tried the same process to do the port forwarding and its telling me to delete the previous port forward.  when i delete it, it says the same thing even though its not listed. i also checked the port and its closed 

duffus
I've Been Around

Rogers technical support was useless. Hopefully someone there can help.

I setup port forwarding through the ignite app for the rogers gateway. When I went to test it (used my mac and terminal): it says failed. connection refused. I tried all variations of protocols: tcp/udp, then tcp and then udp. All where the same result- connection refused.

Ideas?

Tempystral
I Plan to Stick Around

I just set up my new Gateway modem with the new Ignite internet package. The control panel is solid, but a few features are locked behind.... logging into my account? This will not do.

While I can appreciate that some users will find your web interface simpler and easier to operate than the control panel on the device itself, I find myself rather uncomfortable with the idea of using the Rogers website to operate a core feature of my device. And when the website is shut down, I will not be using the app, no matter how much Rogers insists.

Call me stubborn but I do not like having my ISP mediate basic hardware-level functionality for me. Give me the option to port forward, on the hardware, without logging into my account on your website.

***Edited Labels***

allanp
I Plan to Stick Around

I've recently been playing around with Ignite and an XB7 and port forwarding. I also do not like the setup. It's too limiting.

First of all, it looks like you cannot forward to a static IP. In fact, you cannot forward to any IP address, you can only forward to the device name. But if the device is offline, then you cannot do it. So any changes require you to ensure the device is online and connected. And I've found the device doesn't show up in the app list for a while, even the the device got an IP address and can browse the net.

What happens if the device gets a new IP address? Does the port forwarding follow it based on it's MAC address? Or does the port forwarding have to be re-done?

Also, I used to use the router to update the web IP address to dyndns. The Ignite router doesn't seem to have any facility for updating the dynamic IP. Anybody know a way around this?

Thanks

Allan

Catalyph
I'm Here A Lot

I had Gen 1 hub and had many ports forwarded for my security system and home projects and also dynamic DNS. You simply lose these features if you upgrade to the Gen 2 hub. There is port forwarding but it is SO POORLY implemented that many of my devices will not appear in the list of devices that can be port forwarded.. WHY DID THEY REMOVE THIS MANAGEMNT FUNCTIONALITY FROM THE HUB ITSELF. you can't port forward if the device is outside the dhcp pool but in the subnet. You can't port forward if the device has an IPv6 address EVEN if there is also IPv4 address.
There are other issues.. but I'm just so angry ro mention them that NOW I need to buy additional equipment to get my daily life back in order because of the junk.

allanp
I Plan to Stick Around

I am beginning to see your point. The need to have to work around the lack of capability really sucks.

Do you know if you put the XB7 into bridge mode and use your own router for internet, what happens to the TV boxes. Do they still function? Are they now exposed to the internet?

Thanks

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

Yes you can put the XB7 into bridge mode and the TVs will function. I have XB7 inbridge mode using your own Netgear router with 3 hardwired Xi6 and all works fine. Not my Xi6 are hardwired not wifi. 

Best bet would be to ensure that the new router when setup has the same SSID and password as the XB7 when it was your router.

Good Luck

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 in conversation