cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Hey guys, I noticed we don't have a dedicated thread on the XB6 modem like the Hitrons. I'm making this thread so we can talk about the various settings and requests for future changes through firmware updates. For me the biggest issues with the modem is we cannot block specific devices from internet access and we cannot use custom DNS servers.

With the Hitrons we could use a custom DNS without issues, and if we bridge the modem we can also use a custom DNS so I don't see why we aren't given the option with the XB6. The Xi6 boxes don't require using Rogers DNS since in bridge mode they are using whatever DNS the user has specified. For security and privacy reasons it's nice being able to choose whatever DNS server we want, and also being able to block devices like personal NAS and IoT from network access.

I know everyone is going to say put the XB6 in bridge mode and problem solved, however besides these two issues my XB6 isn't that bad. The range and speed suits my needs so why should I buy another $200-$300 router just so I can use a custom DNS and block some devices from the internet. Hopefully Rogers listens to our feedback and gives us more control like on the Hitrons.

***EDITED LABELS***

192 REPLIES 192

Re: XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

OldOlympian
I've been here awhile

Hey @RogersCorey can you provide an update on this request to allow configuring DNS with the XB6 please?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KoN1 wrote:

Hello,

Is there a way to force an update to modem firmware? Based on version NorthGraves posted mine is quite dated.

System Software Version
eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_18.1_d31 & Prod_18.1
Software Image Name: CGM4140COM_3.14p10s5_PROD_sey
Advanced Services: CGM4140COM
Packet Cable: 2.0

I have the same firmware that you do, and I'm also quite certain that my XB6 had been running a few 4.0 builds and got rolled back to this version a few days ago.  Hopefully either @RogersGordon  or @CommunityHelps  can provide us with an update.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Yes, yes, please! I use Cloudfare and it would be easier to set up in my DHCP settings for devices.

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

I seem to have new firmware:

System Software Version

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_18.1_d31 & Prod_18.1
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.0p9s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:CGM4140COM
Packet Cable:2.0

The time is still wrong:
Local time:2020-06-10 07:20:11

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Note that no one from Rogers answered you. I am on a 4.0 build. I had to reboot because DHCP was not handing out IP4 addresses.

Hello, @-G- & @Don_Ca

Sorry for the delay in response.

We have received confirmation that the 4.0p9s1 FW version is the latest Production FW.

All devices should be updated to this version now.

RogersTony

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTony wrote:

We have received confirmation that the 4.0p9s1 FW version is the latest Production FW.

All devices should be updated to this version now.

Nope, I am still running:

... and that is after power-cycling the XB6 in an attempt to get it to update.

KoN1
I plan to stick around

Same for me

Looks like I'm one higher than latest version 🙂

CGM4140COM_4.0p10s1_PROD_sey

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I am now as well:

System Software Version
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.0p10s1_PROD_sey

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

Hello

Could we please get some details about the new firmware and what fixes and features it offers.

Thank you.

kibosh
I plan to stick around

System time is still off by an hour on CGM4140COM_4.0p10s1_PROD_sey.

davej13
I plan to stick around
Custom DNS yet? I was going to bridge the modem today for only this reason (well and because the pods are useless).

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@davej13 wrote:
Custom DNS yet? I was going to bridge the modem today for only this reason (well and because the pods are useless).

I would not hold my breath waiting for this feature, or for Guest WiFi networks.  I say this because there are specific reasons why Comcast has not incorporated these features into their firmware after all these years, and I do not think that they are likely to do so anytime soon.  I would also love to be proven wrong.

davej13
I plan to stick around
Alright, I'll go thought the threads here for setting up in bridge mode. I've got an Archer C9 located in my main floor office that seems to give much better coverage than the pods, just worried about the TV boxes since I'm not too familiar with ipv6.

Gagee1
I'm here a lot
I am still on Software  version CGM4140COM_3.14p10s5_PROD_sey.  Are you still on this version as well. I wonder when they will be pushing the new firmware. 

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Yes, and now we get the same Comcastic service from Rogers that Comcast customers have had to deal with for years. 😞

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Don_Ca wrote:
Yes, and now we get the same Comcastic service from Rogers that Comcast customers have had to deal with for years. 😞

It's not like that.  The XB6 was designed by Comcast to support Internet connectivity, TV, and their suite of "connected home" apps, products and service offerings.  Rogers has released only a few of the services that Comcast has has already developed and has customized others under the Ignite brand name.  We can ask for changes, and other features that we would like to see, but whether our requests come to fruition depends on whether Comcast can be persuaded by Rogers to make those changes and whether those changes fit into Rogers' services roadmap.

The Rogers Product Managers have said that allowing us to specify alternate DNS servers would break Parental Controls and Protected Browsing.

Comcast didn't introduce Guest WiFi networks into the XB6 because their solution for guest WiFi access is the Xfinity Home WiFi Hotspot.

At least we still have the option of enabling Bridge Mode on the XB6.  Rogers is also not intentionally preventing us from running Ignite TV with our own routers and WiFi gear and they are actively working with Comcast to fix XB6 bugs that only manifest in Bridge Mode.

That said, I would still prefer to do without the fancy value-added features that require the XB6 and would much rather be using a TC4400 modem, if only Rogers would even allow us to use it.

Taab
I plan to stick around

Any updates on the latest firmware? I'm still on:

CGM4140COM_3.14p10s5_PROD_sey

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersGordon  ^^ Hi!  Any news?  In your last post, we were told that a firmware update was due any time now. Has a problem halted new firmware rollouts?

When updates do start flowing again, is there any chance that a changelog could get posted here as well?

Thanks!

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor

I got another upgrade:

Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.0p12s1_PROD_sey

Time is STILL off by an hour.  

Topic Stats