cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB6 - Connecting ASUS Router

Xdj
I plan to stick around

Greetings All,

It's been a . week for me with unauthorized movies being charged to my rogers bill and no one knows how this is happening. But I have another issue!

Just a few hours ago I had  Rogers ignite system installed. I'm trying to lower my Rogers bill since it's over $700 a month. And since there phasing out my current system, I had to go to the ignite TV bundle.

Now, everything seemed to work, TV, home phone but we really did not test the internet. I assumed it worked because the TV was working as well as the home phone.

Well, my home security app isn't working now, I can't access its features to control the Rogers tablet. It basically says it's offline. 

I was told I could easily hook up my ASUS router to the new Arris Xb6 cable just like my previous Hitron modem without any issues...WRONG!

I'm not getting a WAN connection to my ASUS RT-AC86U and the TV is not working. All I get on the TV is Welcome...followed by network configuration notification. Home phone works though!!!

I was told all I have to do is put the Arris modem into bridge mode and the ASUS router should work...Not!

Nothing I do gets the ASUS router an internet connection. I'm well versed with the ASUS routers but I'm stumped and very frustrated...It could be something simple that I'm overlooking but....I don't think so.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. And again, everything for the internet and my ASUS router was working fine with the older Hitron cable modem!

I'm seriously at the point that I want to call Rogers and get them to restore my old system because this ignite system isn't working properly!

Cheers,

X

*Added Labels*

55 REPLIES 55

Re: XB6 - Connecting ASUS Router

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:

@lethalsniper wrote:
Can I get the Technicolor xb6 just for my internet

No, the XB6 is currently only available with Ignite TV.

Not sure but it looks like this might not be the case for much longer.  Check out: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Standalone-Internet-With-The-XB6-Modem/m-p/457521

Xdj
I plan to stick around

Greetings All,

I hope everyone had a great weekend?

I wasn't able to do any testing on the weekend but I started this morning.

The first thing I did was clicked on the enable "Bridge Mode" in the XB6. Waited the 90 seconds for it to complete its reboot. I did a hard reboot on my Asus RT-AC86U.

BINGO: The 86U was able to connect to the internet!

Makes no sense, I have done this multiple times over the past week...I don't get it?

If at first, you don't succeed try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try again until you do!!! Or you bang your head against the table until it does!

I'm not sure if I found a solution to my problem, except I did the same thing over and over and expecting a different result... But, I thought that's the definition of insanity! lol

Thank you -G- and Datalink for your contributions to my issue. You have given me some tools for future troubleshooting network problems and hopefully, I will never have to use them.  🙂

Cheers,

X

rpmartini
I've been here awhile

This thread has been very helpful to me and glad you finally got it working. I am having the exact same issue with a Netgear Nighthawk router. If I put XB6 in bridge mode I have no WAN connection. Tried everything including factory resetting modem + router. Here's the thing, until I changed my internet plan about 4 weeks ago from 500u to 1GBu this was all working as expected: Modem in bridge mode, Netgear router managing wifi and ignite boxes via ethernet, etc. So after the plan change modem rebooted and have had the issue since then. Current status is modem in gateway mode with wifi off, router connected to WAN port. If I enable bridge mode I get no internet connection out to the modem. Pretty frustrating and definitely confusing.

RyanM

Xdj
I plan to stick around

Hi Ryan,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your cable modem and Netgear router.

I'm not sure how much I can help, but I followed everyone's suggestions with my problem and initially, they did not work.

To be honest, I have no idea why it started to work. I tried every suggestion multiply times and about the 5th time, it worked.

In theory, all you have to do is log into the XB6 cable modem, change it to "Bridge Mode", and that's it. But for me, it took about 5 times before it worked. No rhyme or reason why as I took notes on every action I did.

I know it sounds simple, but have you rebooted your devices after the XB6 was switched to "Bridge Mode", followed by rebooting your Netgear router.

I've dealt with networking and computers for 25+ years and this issue made no sense to me as it's a simple process to bridge the device.

I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong but I followed everyone's instructions to the letter and still the process did not work. I contacted Rogers as well but they did not know why it wasn't working. Just to let you know, the techs literally just left my home when I tried bridging the XB6 as they told me it was no problem to change. Also, the techs screwed up my Home Monitoring system after installing the Ignite system. So, take everything with a grain of salt because no one's perfect.

I hope this helps,

X

rpmartini
I've been here awhile

Appreciate the reply and yes I rebooted everything, many times after enabling bridge mode. Agree it is a simple process and it's always worked for me without issue until I switched my internet plan a month ago. Very odd. I will try it with another router over the weekend to see if it works. I am generally pretty savy with this stuff, but I admit I am stumped this time. I was going to call rogers but the modem is working in gateway mode so they are not likely to do too much for me. Thx!

RyanM

Xdj
I plan to stick around
Ryan,
You are correct about Rogers, if it works the way they like it, you will not receive the help you need...policy.
Don't give up, it's easy to, but keep trying...maybe step back from it for a few hours or a day and then go back to it. Keep notes on everything you do and the process on which you did it. It may help to try things in the reverse order as well...
Best of luck and keep us posted!

Cheers,

X

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rpmartini  Do you have any other devices, such as a LAN switch, connected directly to the XB6 gateway?

If your XB6 has Bridge Mode enabled, try the following:

• Disconnect ALL devices from the XB6, including your router.
  • Reboot your XB6 gateway by power-cycling it.  Let it sit as-is for 10 minutes with no devices connected.
  • Ensure that your router's IPv4 and IPv6 WAN/Internet settings are configured to use DHCP.  (You can find additional setup tips here and here.)
  • Power off your router
  • After that 10 minute waiting period has passed, connect the router's WAN port to "ETH 1" jack on the XB6.  This should be a direct connection.  Do not connect through a LAN switch or connect any other devices to the XB6.
  • Power up your router.

Hopefully you should now have Internet connectivity.

Lucky2050
I'm here a lot

Hi

I am using my Arris XB6 Modem with Asus AX88U router. I want to use WAN aggression but i can't see how to enable LACP-IEEE 802.3ad on Rogers Modem.

Please guide what setting i need to make on modem to enable LACP-IEEE 802.3ad so that i can have WAN aggression

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lucky2050 wrote:

Hi

I am using my Arris XB6 Modem with Asus AX88U router. I want to use WAN aggression but i can't see how to enable LACP-IEEE 802.3ad on Rogers Modem.

Please guide what setting i need to make on modem to enable LACP-IEEE 802.3ad so that i can have WAN aggression

I don't think that the XB6 supports link aggregation.  According to this page, data throughput on the XB6 maxes out at 1 Gb/s so even if you could do it, you wouldn't see any performance benefits.  Rogers Internet service offerings also max out at 1Gb/s so again, there would be no benefit to enabling this when a single Gigabit Ethernet port is fast enough.

@Lucky2050 at the present time, none of the modems that Rogers uses will allow the customers to use LAG.  Even if any of the modems are capable, Rogers has not enabled LAG so any required enable/disable function is not built into the user interface.  

Brad1313
I've been here awhile

I have been experiencing this extremely frustrating issue in the new year.  I purchased a new Asus RT-AX82U router on boxing day and for the most part it works well with an old AC1900 in AIMesh mode.  However, since the new year I am randomly seeing this issue where the internet completely goes down and in the ASUS router logs it stats the ISP DHCP is not functioning properly.  Rebooting the bridged modem and router eventually resolves the issue. I called Rogers and they are blaming the router, I have read every forum and tried every setting possible but it only lessens the occurrences(I've tried changing the DHCP query frequency on the router from aggressive to normal.). Has anyone who owns an ASUS router with Rogers had any luck getting past these errors? I am considering putting the old AC1900 in place as the main router for a week to see if the issue still occurs.  Thanks.

I am now trying 'continous mode' for the DHCP frequency as another thread suggests this may resolve the issue.

WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly. | Page 3 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.c...

Brad1313
I've been here awhile

Just providing an update although DHCP Frequency set to 'continuous mode' does lessen the amount of times there is a network outage they are still occurring once every 2-3 days. Hoping someone can assist with shedding a light as to what the root issue is with the ASUS routers and Rogers internet.  Thank You.

Demonic_sin
I've been here awhile

I am currently facing the same issue with my new RT-AX92U.  Asus support thinks that it's a hardware issue and wants me to send them my router.

I will keep you updated.

Brad1313
I've been here awhile
That's interesting, since I made that change I have only had one outage. It has worked and worked for someone else I suggested it to. Appreciate the update once you receive it back. Thanks.
Topic Stats
  • 55 replies
  • 17 Likes
  • 9 in conversation