Wireless router and Mac setup

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Wireless router and Mac setup

Rogers installed new wireless router today and left me with a USB key and said it probably wil not work with a Mac.  I have no idea how to set up my Internet.   Very strange service for a new customer.  

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Wireless router and Mac setup

Which router did you get? I don't see why you would need to install any software.. I would just connect to the wireless and leave it at that.

You will need the wifi password.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its not really software per say.. but a setup program to help setup the routers settings.

They should have left instructions as well, a sheet of paper, which has the routers login info (username and password)

Connect your mac to it, via a wired connection... then try browsing to 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.1.1) and one of them should lead you to the login page.

Enter in the username and password, this will get you into the setup for it, where the wireless settings can be changed, enabled, security set up, etc.

The techs that come out and set them up, really dont do the computer end.  But if you give rogers a call on the phone, they should be able to help walk you through stuff.

I've Been Around

After searching for about an hour, I finally found an answer that actually made sense. CALL ROGERS! 

they willl walk you through a solution.

I've Been Around

Ignite 250 iMac connectivity issue

I recently upgraded my internet service to ignite 250.  All devices connecting without issue and getting great speeds up and down.  With one exception: my older iMac (early 2008) can no longer connect to the Internet.  It connects to the wifi network, but no internet.  Wireless diagnostics reveal that the connection fails at "Internet" and "server".  All of "wifi, wifi settings, network settings, and ISP" are green.

I've rebooted the Hitron several times; sometimes the iMac succeeds in connecting after reboot, but then the "Internet" and "server" items go red again after a few minutes.

Are there some settings I can adjust on the mac?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you check the specs for the mac and see what it will run for encryption.  The modem should be set for WPA-2 only and AES only for encryption, but, I wonder what the mac will support?  Are you able to plug the mac into the modem via ethernet, and if so, does it access the internet as it should?  Doing that test would confirm if this is a wifi issue or a problem connecting to the modem no matter what connection type is used.

I'm an Advisor

@Polybear wrote:

Ignite 250 iMac connectivity issue

I recently upgraded my internet service to ignite 250.  All devices connecting without issue and getting great speeds up and down.  With one exception: my older iMac (early 2008) can no longer connect to the Internet.  It connects to the wifi network, but no internet.  Wireless diagnostics reveal that the connection fails at "Internet" and "server".  All of "wifi, wifi settings, network settings, and ISP" are green.

What version of OS X is that iMac running? 

Also, what was replaced when you upgraded your Internet service? Did you get a new Rogers gateway? Are you using bridge mode? Etc.