Wireless connection to blu ray

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Wireless connection to blu ray

I'm trying to connect my Samsung blu ray to my Rogers wireless. I receive "unable to connect to Internet." Rogers Help twitter account said I needed to contact Samsung. I did and they said to reset the player. I did but still can't connect. It used to work fine when I had a Bell wireless modem. Why won't the Rogers modem work for this?

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted

Re: Wireless connection to blu ray

Hello, @MKR4

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

How are you trying to connect? Are you able to see your WiFi network on your Blu Ray Player and enter the network password? 

Thanks,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks.
I'm connecting through wireless. I can see my network displayed. It asks for a security code and I enter my password. It won't connect. All my other devices connect no problem, but no luck with the blu ray.
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @MKR4,

Thank you for your patience, what type of error message are you receiving from the Samsung Blu Ray Player?

When it comes to connecting to a Wi-Fi network that's currently working fine with other existing connected devices. But the new connecting device (Blu Ray Player) is not passing the first step, which is the authentication stage, it's always down to security. Where the new device has an issue with the type of password/security or the Wi-Fi's current password is not compatible with the new device. The solution is to either reset the new device (which you have done), or reset the Wi-Fi network (simply change the Wi-Fi password). I understand the inconveniences to having to apply the new password on all the existing connected devices. So as a suggestion, it's always best to first confirm that the players Wi-Fi is working fine, by testing the player at the place of purchase (store) or a friends or relatives location (another Wi-Fi network).

Hope this helps,
RogersArthur

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks. I'll try checking it on a friend's wireless.
The only error message that cones up is "unable to connect to Internet"
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @MKR4,

Thanks for the information it really helps.Smiley Happy This is the most common Wi-Fi issue i've seen, where the device connects to the Wi-Fi network perfectly fine, but is not able to connect to the Internet or display a page. This is when it's required to look further into the Wi-Fi security settings. We have several Resident Experts here on the Community Forums that are more than happy to assist you with troubleshooting.

Let us know what happens with testing on friends wireless,
RogersArthur

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @MKR4,

@MKR4 wrote:
Thanks.
I'm connecting through wireless. I can see my network displayed. It asks for a security code and I enter my password. It won't connect. All my other devices connect no problem, but no luck with the blu ray.

Question - is your wireless password all lowercase, or all UPPERCASE? I ask because wireless passwords are case sensitive (tested and confirmed with Windows 10 Pro laptop connecting to CGN3ACSMR Wireless Gateway).

When entering your password on the Samsung blu-ray player, is it being entered in the correct case? When I first obtained my TV (Vizio M70-C3), I had the same problem ... then realized the wi-fi password was being entered in UPPERCASE. 

Once I re-entered my password in lowercase, everything worked.

Please let us know if this helps!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the suggestion. My password has both upper and lower case and numbers. I've entered everything the way it's listed but I'll try all lower and all upper just to see what happens.
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Excellent!

Question - have you considered using Home Powerline adapters? Home Powerline uses your existing electrical wiring to pass data between devices (LINK to Home Powerline adapters on sale at BestBuy).  If you live in a condo, apartment or shared housing - you can even encrypt the data.

I use Home Powerline adapters, and have it connected this way:

Basement

Ethernet (network) cable from Rogers CGN3ACSMR Wireless Gateway to Home Powerline adapter.  Home Powerline adapter plugged into the wall outlet.

Bedroom

Another Home Powerline adapter plugged into the wall outlet.  An Ethernet (network) cable from adapter to Samsung BD-H5100 blu-ray player.

My Samsung blu-ray player is configured to connect to the internet via Ethernet (wired).  The data is passed from the blu-ray player, through the network cable, to the Home Powerline adapter in the bedroom, through the electrical wiring, to the Home Powerline adapter in the basement, through the network cable, to the Rogers CGN3ACSMR Wireless Gateway, and out to the Internet.

I am able to use Netflix and access BD-Live content using the Samsung blu-ray player.  The connection is fast, stable and reliable.

Once Home Powerline is implemented, you can purchase additional Home Powerline adapters and install in other bedrooms - devices connected via Home Powerline can "see" each other and communicate, ensuring a fast and stable network of all your devices (that may not otherwise be possible due to poor wireless signal).

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing that might be worth checking is the wifi security settings.  Maybe they're different from your previous modem?  Log into the modem and navigate to WIRELESS .... WPS & SECURITY.  The Security Mode for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks should be set to WPA2 only and the Encrypt mode should be set to AES only.  Don't select TKIP / AES as TKIP is not secure.  If you do happen to change anything, reboot the modem by navigating to ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET and reboot the modem.  Also restart the Blu-Ray player if you have made any changes.