cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Shaw email address change to the Rogers domain?

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

I recall decades ago when Shaw took over from Rogers we had the opportunity to convert our email prefix naming convention to @Shaw.ca as long as the prefix was available eg. Jdoe@shaw.ca; however, I suspect it's extremely unlikely that in 2023 that your original prefix email address will be available. For a short period of time email was redirected/forwarded to your new email address.

Does anyone have any information what's in the works? Should we be changing our email address to a temporary one and if there are any "best practices" we should be planning on doing to avoid any interruption especially two-factor-authentication?

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Will Shaw email address change to the Rogers domain?

RogersMoin

Hello, @Hmm.

Thanks for the impressive query; I appreciate your forward thinking. You can continue to use your @Shaw.ca email address(es). If there are any changes, we will keep the Community apprised.

I'm glad you are our Community member; thank you for your contribution.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RogersMoin

Hello, @Hmm.

Thanks for the impressive query; I appreciate your forward thinking. You can continue to use your @Shaw.ca email address(es). If there are any changes, we will keep the Community apprised.

I'm glad you are our Community member; thank you for your contribution.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. To clarify, I believe Rogers will forward existing @Shaw.ca to Rogers for a (short) period of time before the @Shaw.ca domain becomes eradicated.

I feel either Rogers or Shaw should be sending out email reminders (to the masses) of this situation. However, I suspect it might be in the planning stages or it's way down on their list. I also believe Shaw customers should take this opportunity to consider reducing their dependence on their @Shaw.ca email address. 

Then again, it's human nature to wait until the last minute. I can imagine the furor when the time comes and the drama in these forums. I won't be one of them because the moment Rogers notifies me to assign my email address, I'll be on it right away.

The only problem I'll be facing is that I have a few @shaw.ca email address. And except for the main one, I can't recall where I may have used them eg. Flickr or other sites that I don't often visit, but I have an account with. You see, I forward my other non frequently used @shaw.ca email to other email accounts (I have many). 

sballinger
I've been around

I used to be able to access my email through webmail with SHaw particularly when travelling. How do I access it with Rogers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sballinger : Rogers also uses Webmail, however, if your e-mail address is changing, then I would take this opportunity to change to something like Gmail, or Yahoo, or your own domain (which may cost a few $/month).  This would preclude these sorts of problems of having an e-mail address tied to a service provider in the future.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with 57. This would be the best time to de-tatch yourself from an email address that is dependant upon your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

The 3 most popular standalone no cost email providers are:

1. Microsoft Hotmail/Outlook

2. Yahoo Mail

3. Google Gmail

You might even have one already and not know it,  but if not, now is a great time to sign up for one, you can forward your shaw mail to the new email address, and then start notifying your contacts to start emailing you at your new address.  you can also start contacting the web sites and providers you do business with and update your email address to the new one. you should keep some kind of tracker/log of all the websites you do business with and which email you have registered with them.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 in conversation