Wifi Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Wifi Speeds

My wifi speeds on my devices are almost 100+ mbps slower than the speed when directly connected. Why is that? I am on the 250 ignite plan. On other internet connections provided by competing ISPs I would get the same if not VERY close speeds on both direct connection and wifi.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Wifi Speeds

When I was running the CGN3, using its onboard Wifi, the best I ever saw was about 100 mb/s on a 2.4 Ghz network and 200 Mb/s on a 5 Ghz network.  That was with a very capable gaming laptop which can run much faster via wired or wireless.  With an Asus RT-AC68U as a router now, I see 328 Mb/s down, 22 Mb/s up via wired or wireless running on a 250/20 Mb/s plan, just as you have.  The issue is the capability of the Wifi on the modem, as well as the capability of the Wifi controllers on your laptops or pc's.  You would have to look up the specs to see what your laptops and pc's are capable of in order to help determine if it might be worth purchasing a third party router and using that as your main router with the modem running in Bridge mode.

Does any other ISP provide 250 Mb/s down.  I don't believe so.  So, looking at something like a 100 Mb/s service for example, even the Hitron CGN3 series modems can do that via Wifi connection.  But, they can't keep up to the higher rates.  I'm not sure, even with the CGN3AC or CGN3ACSMR running in 802.11ac for the 5 Ghz network that you would see rates much above 200 Mb/s.

I've Been Here Awhile

hi,

i like to know the wifi coverage for using rocket wifi modem (Hitron CGN3ACR) with Ignite 250/20 Mb/s plan...

will i have any problem in accessing the wifi on the second floor if the rocket wifi modem is located in the basement?...

any blind spot in a two storey house using rocket wifi modem?...

any speedtest data for reference?...

cheers,

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My personal opinion is that any modem or router with an internal antenna set will have a hard time reaching the second floor when its located in the basement.  Unless you really need the modem to run in the basement I would look at your RG-6 cabling in the house to determine if there are any cables that can be used to park the modem on the main floor.   Here is additional food for thought that might make that easier.

If your home is fairly new, it might be wired with Structured wiring, which is a cable bundle containing RG-6 cables for Cable and Satellite, CAT 5e for ethernet, and Cat 3 or Cat 5e for telephones. It is normal to run one cable bundle to each room and as a result you should have one wallplate in each room upstairs where those cables are located, if in fact it is installed.

Here is what you can check for that might make this easy. Have a look behind the wallplate that has your current cable outlet. Look for another RG-6 Cable and a Cat 5e and possibly Cat 3 or another Cat 5e cable. They will be sitting in behind the wallplate without connectors attached. You are looking for something that should resemble the following pictures, without the ends exposed:

http://flylib.com/books/2/545/1/html/2/images/f07-09.jpg

http://www.3starinc.com/images/super/HNC2_800x600t.jpg

http://cache-m1.smarthome.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/8...

http://fadden.com/tech/homewiring/images/speedwrap.jpg

If a cable set that resembles one of those pictures is present, it will be easy to park the modem on the first floor in order to provide coverage above and below the modem.

Here is an example of a cable bundle with all of the connectors (keystones) attached. These are hidden behind the wallplate when the installation is done. In your case, all you need or want is just the one cable connector.

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5231/5911049732_c98debcf67_b.jpg

And here is an example of the finished product with two cable outlets, one Cat5e ethernet connector, and one Cat 3 or Cat 5e connector for telephones.

http://extremehowto.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/art_60351_homewirelead.gif

If that cable bundle is installed your home, you can park the modem on the first floor, or elsewhere and use the ethernet cabling to run data to other rooms by installing a gigabit switch in the structured wiring cabinet in the basement or by parking the modem near that cabinet.

I've Been Here Awhile

datalink,

thanks for your cable info photos...

unfortunately,  my house is quite an old house, more than 20 years ... so there is no advanced cable wiring in the house...

do you have any idea or know the reason why there is NO external antenna on the modem or router supplied by the ISP?...

there is always external antenna on the modem or router you purchased from the stores...

so i have to purchase a modem or router in order to improve the wifi coverage inside the house...

is it ok to disable the wifi in the rocket wifi modem (Hitron CGN3ACR)? ... rogers allows customer to disable the wifi network and it will not degrade any other rogers services...

thanks for your help...

cheers,

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think the main reason that you don't see antenna on ISP modems is that the manufacturing companies are trying to keep the costs down, and simplify the transportation and installation of the modems.  Its really too bad because poor wifi performance is one of the main complaints of combo modem / routers.  I think the vast majority of people who are unhappy with the wifi performance and control over the wifi funtions eventually bite the bullet and buy a good third party router and either run the modem in Bridge mode or run the modem in Gateway mode with the wifi disabled.  Disabling the wifi on any of the Rogers modems isn't a problem at all.  If you run the modem in Gateway mode and simply use the router as an access point, there is a good chance that a router purchased these days will have an access point setting that you can enable which will do most of the work for you in terms of settings.  If not, its just a matter of turning off the DHCP server in the router and assigning an IP address  to it that is normally outside of the modem IP address range.  With the IP address set, you will be able to log into the router at any point down the road and change settings if necessary.

I've Been Here Awhile

there is NO hope that ISP will provide the modem/routers with EXTERNAL antenna to improve the wifi coverage and functions...

it seems to be there is some kind of agreement between all the concerned companies on this issue...

it is the best for me to purchase an ac3200 router in order to have the best wifi coverage for the whole house...

thanks for your help...

cheers,

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's a pretty advanced router, and very pricey.  You probably don't have to go that far, but it the size of your home also comes into the decision.  Take a read through a few online reviews before you decide what router to purchase.   Not trying to discourage you, just urging a reading of any posted reviews first  🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cywong668 wrote:

datalink,

do you have any idea or know the reason why there is NO external antenna on the modem or router supplied by the ISP?...

there is always external antenna on the modem or router you purchased from the stores...

Just to touch on this.

This is un correct though.  Probably 3/4 of the routers you buy from a store, DO NOT have external antennas on them.. most of them do NOT.  (likely more a PLEASEING look than ugly antennas)

Usually, only the higher end ones now a days, tend to have external

I Plan to Stick Around

wireless connection.PNG

just wondering is this normal speed results for a putter 5feet from the modem with a 250/20 package or do i have a problem 🙂