cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi 6 - AX

Ehonk
I've been around

Anyone know if there's any update on whether Roger modem/routers will be updated to include WiFi 6 (ax)

***Added Labels***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Wi-Fi 6 - AX

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Ehonk!

Welcome to the community!

Like a lot of others, we're incredibly excited about the possibilities of WiFi 6 :). At this time we don't have any available information on any unreleased products or services. But definitely keep an eye out on Rogers.com and here in the community for any updates on new products and services as they become available!

@RogersAndy

MyAxman
I plan to stick around

If not wifi 6 ready can the ignite router be bridged to a wifi 6 router and if so are the 2 IP phone ports still functional?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Yes. I have Arris XB6 modem/router in bridge mode and also have rogers ignite phone and it is still active.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MyAxman wrote:

If not wifi 6 ready can the ignite router be bridged to a wifi 6 router and if so are the 2 IP phone ports still functional?

I can also confirm that the XB6's telephone hardware/software is still functional in bridge mode.

FYI, Comcast recently started rolling out the new XB7 gateway in some of its markets, and the certification documents indicate that the updated hardware supports 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6.  Rogers has not commented on when they might offer the XB7 here as well.

Billy_Miner
I've been here awhile

Read a few posts that are a yr old. Just wondering if wifi6 is rolling out soon with Rogers? Thank U.

Hey @Billy_Miner

Welcome to the community!

I'm afraid the answer to your question remains the same as I had mentioned above. Though we don't have any information as of yet on WiFi6 for our gateways, there are currently a growing number of devices and routers available on the market that are WiFi 6 ready so you do have options if you're looking to get in on the new tech floor now 🙂

@RogersAndy

Billy_Miner
I've been here awhile
Ya I just bought the Samsung S10+ which supports wifi6. Was why I'm now interested. I mainly always use my handset@ home since I work from home. Anywayz thnx.

smo1
I've been around

Can I use the D-Link DIR-X1870 AX1800 with my Rogers setup?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, but, that depends on what modem you're currently using and how technically proficient you are.  You can run any modem in Bridge mode with the router in full router mode behind the modem.  If you're running Ignite TV with its XB6 modem, that bridged configuration isn't supported by Rogers tech support, so, if you ran into any problems, you would have to be able to change the modem back to Gatemode in order for tech support to provide any troubleshooting services. For the Hitron modem, you would simply disable the Residential Gateway Function which is located in the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab and save the change.  That initiates a reboot into Bridge mode.

You can always run the modem in Gateway mode with the router behind it, using the routers wifi to support 802.11ax devices.  That results in a double NAT situation, which isn't great for gaming. 

So, there are different solutions to the problem, it just depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

MyAxman
I plan to stick around

I've been using Rogers Gigabit router in bridged mode connected to an ASUS GT-AX11000 wifi 6 router paired with 3 additional routers in a mesh network. My rogers WAN connection yields 950Mbps and WIFI 6 gets roughly 600Mbps

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 in conversation