Which speed test is better to use?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Which speed test is better to use?

Are you running on an ethernet connection or wifi connection?  I should have asked that before.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

primary putter hard wired  wife has a tablet that uses the wifi but thats a  can of worms that i am hoping will come around if i can ever get my connection wrking the way it should  ie: max range of wifi 20ft no matter where i put the rogers modem 🙂 and yes i know if i spend a couple of hundred dollars for a router/ bridge the rogers modem it should be better but dang its hard to spend more monies for something to wrk the way you would think it should with out adding 3rd  party hardware 🙂

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Downloads / Uploads can be an interesting case.  Even if you had perfect speeds on your modem to node connection and ran 300+ down, 20+ up, you're still at the mercy of the server that you're downloading or uploading to, as well as the path between you and the server.  I'm making an assumption here that the downloading server isn't maxing out the download data rate.  If it was, they yep, maybe you could see a drop in the upload rate.  So, that's a tough question to answer.  You shouldn't see a huge impact when your uploading, but, that depends on what condition the cable signal levels are at and whether or not there are other issues at play here, which is what I suspect at the current time.  All you can to is ensure that the modem is operating as it should, delivering the downstream and upstream rates that it should and that the connection from modem to pc is ok and that the pc itself is capable of accepting or driving the modem to its max data rates.  First order of business is the modem with tech support.  Second is the modem to pc connection.  On the speed list that you posted there are only two cases where the downstream rates are over 100 Mb/s  Can you check the back of the modem and look at the connected port LED.  It should be amber indicating that the modem port is connected to a gigabit capable port at the other end of the cable.  If its green, its running at 10/100 Mb/s, consider the possibility that the ethernet cable is damaged or not making contact at either end correctly.  You can check the pc port rate by navigating to START.... CONTROL PANEL.... NETWORK and SHARING Center.  Select the Ethernet link on the center right hand side of the page to bring up the Ethernet Status panel.  The speed on that panel will indicate the connection rate of the port.  If that was a wifi connection, it would show the wifi connection rate with the modem, which would correspond to one of the rates listed in the 802.11n Modulation and Coding Index, shown here:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158/image-id/1128i1B0D5B8474F8D75B

The next thought is of the desktop, and that simply relates to the processor, memory and hard drive speed.  Just as an example, we have an Acer laptop, that won't go past 200 mb/s wired or wireless.  The network that it runs on will run much faster, as seen with another laptop, but this particular laptop maxes out.  So, the question that comes up, has the modem ever run fast enough to see 300+ Mb/s and if it was at one point, did you see that on the desktop?  Just wondering?  This might sound like a silly question but its part of looking at everything, end to end.  Part of the problem of testing modem data rates is knowing that you have a device that will drive the modem its max data rates.  Its going to get really interesting, really soon, when the gigabit service comes out.  I expect that we'll see numerous complaints about devices and networks running slow, and much of that will simply come down to device capabilities.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

amber on modem

1.0 Gbps under netwrk sharing

putter nfo

AMD A6-5400K DUAL CORE APU with radeon HD Graphics  3.60GHz

RAM 12.0GB   11.2 usable

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-bit

2 X 2TB SATA HD ABUT 2YRS OLD

i have been keeping a log of speedtest.net results for the last year or so these are the best download/upload results i have ever had but i dont see that on the desktop only see 30/2.7-3.0

• 324.28 Mb/s    04/12/15   download
  • 22.00 Mb/s       06/11/15   upload

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

AMD A6-5400K Trinity Dual-Core 3.6 GHz Socket FM2 65W with 12 Gigs for memory, shouldn't be any issues.  Only one sample point with over 300 Mb/s down?  You should be seeing that all the time.  Time for a chat session with Tech Support to get the ball rolling:

Rogers Contact Number 1-888-764-3771 (1-888-ROGERS1) 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

yup been there done that just taking a wee break after 14mnths of calling in to tech support/ so many house visits i have lost count/even had rogers senior tech/and maintence crew for 4hrs one day/ 3rd modem/waiting for someting to be done and was told on oct 23/15 that maintence had fixed my problem which supposedly was a node issue 21modems on my node they were supposed to be laying new cable or something to that effect to fix the problem, but as you can see from my posts this hasnt fixed anything 🙂 i can't confirm that any accuall wrk was done i have tried but no joy, seems its a big secret what maintence does...

Thank you for all your ideas and suggestions but my son and daugher in-law are expecting this week [ 3rd grandchild] so i am going to have to wait till later next week to start the merrygoround all over again i guess by the results i have seen and confermation that i still have a problem..

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, sorry to hear that.  Ok, in that case the next step is a pm to @CommunityHelps.  Include a ticket number if you have one.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

yup i tried that but unfortunatly there is no ticket # for this that i can find, [and since community helps hadnt wrk on this they wernt able to assist me} i have tried and the only thing that keeps showing up is a ticket back in May that was closed and didnt reflex any of my dealings with maintence or senior field tech, so i am going to have to start all over at the begging again and try and get something done that way back in sept/2014 i was told that there was a prob from the tap back, and every single in house visit that i had after that just kept conferming that was the problem but took until oct 23/15 suppposedly to fix 🙂

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Don't give up so easily on @CommunityHelps.  They will need your account info so that they can look up the history of the problem and escalate this to the appropriate staff.  You should not have to start this once again from the bottom, so to speak. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

got this via email back in may

I have left the office for the weekend, however I am definitely able to provide you an update going forward. It has been determined that it is the fact that there are too many modems attached to that node. Which would explain why sometimes your internet speeds are what they are supposed to be, and sometimes they are not. This is due to the traffic on the network. Generally during busier times this means your internet would be slowed down. I’m sorry that you have been affected by this for such a long time. I can understand how frustrating this is.

During my investigation I had been first told that there are no plans to add another node, or redistribute any of these modems in 2015. However after more investigation, it has been determined that we are currently at the design stage for and improved node or an additional node that would be able to provide you more reliable internet services. I have requested more information regarding the timeline of this install, and if it can be escalated to be done any faster. I will have more information on Monday regarding this resolution and will contact you when I’m back in the office.

then found out late july that it was going to be sometime oct nov...